Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The 2019 Newbie Lounge thread can be found here.

Welcome to the 2018 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here
NOTE: The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by wiivile
Jeez, the Basic Economy scourge has even infected BA now... and my Citi AA card won't help me here either with a free checked bag?
IMO if the total fares + checked bag fees could be minimized, and you are fine with other restrictions, it might still be a good deal. Is there anything else about BE bothers you (no upgrade, no seat assignment)?

You had answered your own question on your opening remark on free checked bag benefit. Unfortunately, this benefit do not apply to international, or BA/IB/AY-operated flights.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Aug 1, 2018 at 9:15 am
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Ok, I got a comp ugrade to F. Can I change my seat and do I need to wait until T-24 IF the answer is yes,

Thank you
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ceres
Ok, I got a comp ugrade to F. Can I change my seat and do I need to wait until T-24 IF the answer is yes,

Thank you
You should be able to move to any available F seat as soon as you are shown in F.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Thank you!!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:38 pm

So I am looking at this MR, because it fits a time schedule.

But trying to see what the fare class is I go to LATAM and I can't find what fare class it and I can't replicate the flights on ITA which would give to me.

Never mind its gone.....It was MIA - EZE. I am looking for something ex MCO/TPA/MIA

Looking for a weekend between 8/13 and 9/3 to make the status.

Thank you

Last edited by Ceres; Aug 2, 2018 at 12:43 pm Reason: it dissapeared
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:37 pm

Is there any benefit to checking-in for an AA flight at T-24? For SW you get your boarding pass number based on when you check-in, but if you already have a seat assigned I don't see why there is a rush to check-in at exactly T-24. Unless I am missing something?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I find its a good idea to check the seatmap as I check in and see if some better seats have opened up as elites get upgraded.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JustDandy
Is there any benefit to checking-in for an AA flight at T-24? For SW you get your boarding pass number based on when you check-in, but if you already have a seat assigned I don't see why there is a rush to check-in at exactly T-24. Unless I am missing something?
Theoretically if you check in within the prescribed times it should not make a difference. However in the case of an issue arising (previous flight canceled, equipment change, etc and there are too many pax for the flight, those who check in at the last minute are most likely to find themselves inconvenienced.) As you can change seats after checking in and you can be upgraded at any time checked in or not, there is no real advantage to checking in late. I would not say check in immediately at T-24 but I would do it well before the last minute. If you are trying to do it on your cell and you cannot get a good signal or when you go on the website (perhaps over night Central time if you are flying from overseas) to be met with a message that maintenance is underway and try later, you have an unexpected issue which raises stress when you do not need it.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
If I am flying Cathay but I want the miles and EQD's to post to AA, do I book it through Cathay and just add my AA FF#?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jm62
If I am flying Cathay but I want the miles and EQD's to post to AA, do I book it through Cathay and just add my AA FF#?
STOP 🛑

It all depends on your fare code with CX.

If it’s full Y or above, you will earn 1.0-1.5 EQM per flown mile.

If it’s B or H, you’ll earn 0.75 EQM per flown mile.

In those cases, have your AA FFN added to the ticketing / PNR. And keep the boarding passes, just in case.

If it’s below that, K, M, L, V, Q, S, G, N, you’ll earn absolutely nothing.

See this page on aa.com.

If you buy it through AA as an zaA codeshare / marketed flight, you’ll earn as if flying AA.
diburning likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jm62
Adding to the above response by JDiver. For tickets sold by CX (or any OTA) with a CX flight number, the CX fare code determines your EQDs. The best bang for the buck I've found is buying CX E class premium economy fares. These cannot be upgraded to J using CX Asia Miles, but you get 20% of the miles flown as EQD and 1.5x the miles flown as EQM. Note that the flight must be operated by CX or a oneworld airline to get AA miles. E.g. a CX codeshare operated by AS won't get any AA miles.

Another option is to buy PE T class tickets from BA - same formula for EQD/EQM with those and their price is often similar to CX E class, and those can be upgraded using Avios + cash in some cases (stringent rules apply - these are explained in the BA forum). Note that the flight must be operated by BA or a oneworld airline to get AA miles. E.g. a BA codeshare operated by AS won't get any AA miles.
JDiver and jm62 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:12 pm

It's been a while since I've flown on AA. I have an award ticket. The next day I changed the dates. Agent said that ticket is not reissued and same ticket number is used. The date change appears correctly in my Aadvantage account. The 'Print trip' option does not display the ticket number. I tried this previously mention way to get a ticket receipt. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27442741-post4789.html Does not work for me, but did in the past. Should I call back to verify this?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:00 pm

Last month I cancelled a reservation less than 24 hours after purchase (for an itinerary more than 7 days out) that was purchased using AA gift cards. According to the first rep I spoke to, the funds won't be returned to the gift cards for at least 20 days. A second rep then said the funds will be refunded to an electronic voucher instead of to the original gift cards used. I searched AA's website and didn't find a clear explanation as to the refund policy when using gift cards. Can someone clarify? I'm on day 13 since cancellation and no refund has been received yet. Additionally, I completed AA's refund request form and have been checking the status, but still nothing after 2 weeks
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by rjs11
Last month I cancelled a reservation less than 24 hours after purchase (for an itinerary more than 7 days out) that was purchased using AA gift cards. According to the first rep I spoke to, the funds won't be returned to the gift cards for at least 20 days. A second rep then said the funds will be refunded to an electronic voucher instead of to the original gift cards used. I searched AA's website and didn't find a clear explanation as to the refund policy when using gift cards. Can someone clarify? I'm on day 13 since cancellation and no refund has been received yet. Additionally, I completed AA's refund request form and have been checking the status, but still nothing after 2 weeks
I had the exact same situation happen earlier this year, AA will email you new gift cards. In my instance I cancelled the trip on May 20 and the new gift cards were emailed on June 4, so about 2 weeks.

AA Gift Card / Cards discussion, issues, questions (master thread)
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by headinclouds
It's been a while since I've flown on AA. I have an award ticket. The next day I changed the dates. Agent said that ticket is not reissued and same ticket number is used. The date change appears correctly in my Aadvantage account. The 'Print trip' option does not display the ticket number. I tried this previously mention way to get a ticket receipt. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27442741-post4789.html Does not work for me, but did in the past. Should I call back to verify this?
You can DM @AmericanAir on Twitter and get your ticket number easily, as well as verify your currently scheduled flights - though it they’re showing up on aa.com, it’s pretty solid. (I’d verify my ticket numbers anyway.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.