Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Card / Cards discussion, issues, questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA (physical or virtual) Gift Cards

Be aware of AA Gift Card Restrictions Prior to Purchase
"Customers may contact American Airlines for questions or help with their gift cards at [email protected]. Agents are also available by phone Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm (Central Time) at 800-677-9555."

"Note: Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and oneworld® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands. Gift Cards may also be used for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or Codeshare flights designated in flight listings as AA*. For a complete list of American Airlines codeshare partners as well as other codeshare information, visit www.aa.com/codeshare. They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline. In addition if a credit card is used in conjunction with Gift Card(s), the credit card must have a United States, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico billing address. Gift Cards may not be used for upgrades, Admirals Club membership enrollments, Admirals Club One-Day passes, AAdvantage Award Travel or other non-flight products and/or services sold on AA.com." Link

Link to full Gift Cards Terms and Conditions

You can buy either a plastic card and have it mailed or a virtual / electronic card delivered via email. Please see below for the differences between the cards to find the right one for you. Both options allow you to send a personal message with your gift. You can use up to eight (8) Gift Cards at one time toward the purchase of a ticket to hundreds of exciting destinations throughout the world. And, with no expiration date or fees.

Though gift cards have been non-refundable, some report they can be refunded to vouchers in at least some cases.
Print Wikipost

AA Gift Card / Cards discussion, issues, questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EP
Gift card should work. Just call AA if u don't see the box in the payment page

Originally Posted by hurnik
I hope this is the correct thread.

So I'm looking (it's on Hold) at this itinerary:

1/17/18
Flight 1904 ALB-> CLT
Flight 2064 CLT-> DFW
Flight 5789 DFW -> GJT

Return 1/23/18
Flight 5766 GJT -> DFW
Flight 1794 DFW -> CLT
Flight 419 CLT -> ALB

However, when I went to pay it doesn't give me a gift card as an option.

I have a suspicion it's the DFW/GJT flight?

The AA website says it's:
"Operated by Mesa Airlines As American Eagle "

but the G/C website:
https://giftcards.aa.com/using.jsp

says:
Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and oneworld® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.

So I'm unsure if that's the reason or not.

I did select some MCE seats, and although I'm a lowly Gold, checked the "request upgrades" box, so not sure if that's the reason either.

Any ideas?

Assuming it's the Mesa Airlines/American Eagle flight, then the only option would be to book as two round trip tickets then?

What "bad" things could happen at that point?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:47 pm

Thanks, I called in and they were able to process the gift cards and credit cards. Took a bit though as they had to check and make sure it could be used with the MCE seats and all that jazz. No idea why it wouldn't let me do it online.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
If you have to refund a flight booked with gift cards within 24 hours, do you know how you will be refunded? By gift card or by travel vouchers? I've heard conflicting information.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gizayabasu
If you have to refund a flight booked with gift cards within 24 hours, do you know how you will be refunded? By gift card or by travel vouchers? I've heard conflicting information.
I have the same exact question, anyone have the correct info?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
I have the same exact question, anyone have the correct info?
I received a physical check earlier this year from AA after requesting it in prefunds. I was surprised I had to fill out the prefunds form, but the check arrived about two weeks later.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Pay for ticket with Gift Cards and cc

I just tried to pay for a held itn using GCs and a CC. I entered the GC numbers and PIN and then entered the CC info. I clicked "pay". In the past the total of the GCs was subtracted from ticket price--this didn't happen(?)
I immediately called the EXP desk, NO GCs were showing, they cancelled the payment and I started from scratch! Has something changed on aa.com re using GCs + CCs?
[PS: Once a year via my Amex Plat card I purchase from AA $200 in GCs to Amex and get a $200 statement credit. So the last time I used a GC to pay for a ticket was in early 2017, about a year ago.]
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
I just tried to pay for a held itn using GCs and a CC. I entered the GC numbers and PIN and then entered the CC info. I clicked "pay". In the past the total of the GCs was subtracted from ticket price--this didn't happen(?)
I immediately called the EXP desk, NO GCs were showing, they cancelled the payment and I started from scratch! Has something changed on aa.com re using GCs + CCs?
[PS: Once a year via my Amex Plat card I purchase from AA $200 in GCs to Amex and get a $200 statement credit. So the last time I used a GC to pay for a ticket was in early 2017, about a year ago.]
For technical issues, you might want to call Web Services.
Was the EXP desk able to manually do it for you? Once reaching the EXP desk, I don't see a reason to go back through the online process again.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
For technical issues, you might want to call Web Services.
Was the EXP desk able to manually do it for you? Once reaching the EXP desk, I don't see a reason to go back through the online process again.
The EXP desk entered my GCs and CCs into the system and the ticket now shows "PENDING".
I still have one GC to use (for some future reservation) and next year I might have this issue again.
Follow-up: After 3 hours I still wasn't ticketed, so I called, agent: "we don't do immediate ticketing...wait". 10 hours later I got an email to call re my ticket. The agent thought it was GC related, but was due to an $0.81 deficiency(?)
I now have my receipt, but it only shows GC, CC but NO breakdown--besides looking at my CC statement, is there any way of seeing the full breakdown on AA.COM?

Last edited by nrr; Feb 13, 2018 at 10:29 am
Old May 15, 2018, 3:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I bought a virtual gift card for myself. (As in, in my name and to my name.) Is it fine for a third party to use the gift card on their reservation and pay for the remainder themselves? I didn't know that I wouldn't be flying AA anymore when I did that. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gizayabasu
Originally Posted by CO777ER
I received a physical check earlier this year from AA after requesting it in prefunds. I was surprised I had to fill out the prefunds form, but the check arrived about two weeks later.
Just had this situation happen to me after I booked for what I thought was vacation but was wrong! Cancelled the trip within 24 hours and will be booking again, but the original gift cards have 0 balance now. Came here to check to see what might happen!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Hippster
Just had this situation happen to me after I booked for what I thought was vacation but was wrong! Cancelled the trip within 24 hours and will be booking again, but the original gift cards have 0 balance now. Came here to check to see what might happen!
Earlier this year I bought a flight with gift cards that I cancelled within the 24 hr period. AA automatically emailed me brand new gift cards for the refund but it took a few weeks.

Edit: just checked my emails, I cancelled the trip on May 20 and the refund gift cards were emailed to me on June 4, so about 2 weeks.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Earlier this year I bought a flight with gift cards that I cancelled within the 24 hr period. AA automatically emailed me brand new gift cards for the refund but it took a few weeks.

Edit: just checked my emails, I cancelled the trip on May 20 and the refund gift cards were emailed to me on June 4, so about 2 weeks.
Ahhh that's good to know. I already requested via prefunds as was mentioned too... so hopefully one way I get my $400 back. Next time I'm confirming dates with my travel friends BEFORE I BOOK! LOL such a headache.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by CO777ER
Did you cancel within 24 hours and have to request the refund? I booked a ticket with gift card and canceled within 24 hours. When I tried requesting the refund, it said my ticket was non-refundable. I guess cancellation within 24 hours is processed automatically, so you don't need to fill the form.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:51 pm

Question about AA E-gift card.

I bought an AA E gift card to use up some of my travel credit. Didn’t realize I had to wait 72 hours to redeem. I put my flight on hold, and the price has gone up now.

What are the chances I can call AA gift cards and get them to issue the e giftcard early so I can use it for my flight? Has anyone had success doing this?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:28 am

Pretty sure they are firm on the 72 hour rule.

Originally Posted by LzyPenguin
I bought an AA E gift card to use up some of my travel credit. Didn’t realize I had to wait 72 hours to redeem. I put my flight on hold, and the price has gone up now.

What are the chances I can call AA gift cards and get them to issue the e giftcard early so I can use it for my flight? Has anyone had success doing this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.