Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

• Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months
        • Booking class
          • Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 17 Dec 2017 by aztimm
Print Wikipost

Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
First time upgraded on an award ticket today. DFW-FAR tomorrow with my son, both of us just cleared (T27).

Seems AA was being a bit hopeful, though, as we were the only two who were upgraded (judging by the seat map before and after our UGs processed).

If the policy with award upgrades is to upgrade every elite requesting an UG before then upgrading those with award tickets requesting upgrades, I guess there were no elites requesting upgrades on this flight.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by econometrics
If the policy with award upgrades is to upgrade every elite requesting an UG before then upgrading those with award tickets requesting upgrades, I guess there were no elites requesting upgrades on this flight.
The policy is that EXPs on award tickets clear behind all other EXPs looking to upgrade, but ahead of all other elites (PRO, PLT, GLD).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
The policy is that EXPs on award tickets clear behind all other EXPs looking to upgrade, but ahead of all other elites (PRO, PLT, GLD).
That's not how I read it on AA.com:

Award ticket upgrade priority
  • Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after all other 500-mile upgrade requests on purchased tickets within each elite level
  • Companions will have the same priority as the sponsor member
This reads as though all paid tickets with 500-mile requests will be prioritized before EXP's requesting them on award tickets - from CK to GLD.

EDIT: Okay re-reading it, I can see how it might actually mean "we will do this process within each elite level" instead of all elite levels as a whole, then go to upgrading on award tickets.

Clear as mud.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by econometrics
EDIT: Okay re-reading it, I can see how it might actually mean "we will do this process within each elite level" instead of all elite levels as a whole, then go to upgrading on award tickets.

Clear as mud.
Yea, an EXP requesting an upgrade on an award ticket is definitely behind all other EXPs on paid tickets but ahead of lower elites. The first time I used it I was #6 on the list of 20 on RDU-LAX, i.e. back of the EXPs but ahead of everyone else.
econometrics likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
SFO-JFK-CLT for Thurs night redeye/Fri morning flight cleared Y-J 100 hours in advance. Flat bed for the redeye not too shabby.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
SFO-JFK-CLT for Thurs night redeye/Fri morning flight cleared Y-J 100 hours in advance. Flat bed for the redeye not too shabby.
Congrats! Keep in mind though that the Wednesday holiday this week throws business travel trends off quite a bit. I definitely would not have expected this result any other Thursday of the year...
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Tricky question that I am hoping someone can answer. How often does AA "sweep" for processing 500 mile upgrades?

While within my 72 hour upgrade window as a Platinum Pro, I saw there were 17 available J seats DFW-MIA on July 5th. I had used a BXP1 on this flight, which didn't seem necessary. Expertflyer is still showing C7 on the flight, and the seat map is virtually empty. I called Meeting Services to have them unapply the BXP1, as I figure I should clear easily and can save it for another time. It has been over 12 hours since they processed me back into Economy, but I haven't cleared yet. I am showing as upgrade requested, but I would have figured that I would have cleared within an hour or so. I asked if my ticket needed to be re-issued, but 2 different agents said no. I feat that the way the ticket was downgraded that the system may skip over me for the upgrade.

Any idea on how I can ensure this isn't the case and the upgrade processes? There is no reason that I can see that would prevent me from getting the upgrade prior to the airport list except for the fact that I was upgraded using a BXP1 and then asked for it to be unapplied.

Thanks for your insight!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Complementary upgrades require X, not C (at least I think it is X, but it definitely is different than C). Sometimes C becomes available first and sometimes X does. Presumably for your flight C is available and X is not.

Last week I was waiting for C on the mid-morning SFO-JFK (miles on a Y ticket) but X became available first and I got a free upgrade even though I was willing to pay miles. In fact, the C upgrade cleared as well about 30 minutes later and at one point I had three entries in my itinerary for the same flight – I called and they cleared it all up and I flew on a X upgrade.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Complementary upgrades require X, not C (at least I think it is X, but it definitely is different than C). Sometimes C becomes available first and sometimes X does. Presumably for your flight C is available and X is not.

Last week I was waiting for C on the mid-morning SFO-JFK (miles on a Y ticket) but X became available first and I got a free upgrade even though I was willing to pay miles. In fact, the C upgrade cleared as well about 30 minutes later and at one point I had three entries in my itinerary for the same flight – I called and they cleared it all up and I flew on a X upgrade.
So I was confirmed in C with a BXP1. I told them to unapply it since I should be able to clear with the 500 mile upgrades. They got the help desk to revert it. I am now in Economy G class and on the upgrade list. I have been this way for 16 hours and the upgrade hasn't cleared within the window yet. I am not sure why it wouldn't have cleared yet. I think it may be stuck because of the downgrade. Is this possible and how can I ensure that this isn't the case?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
So I was confirmed in C with a BXP1. I told them to unapply it since I should be able to clear with the 500 mile upgrades. They got the help desk to revert it. I am now in Economy G class and on the upgrade list. I have been this way for 16 hours and the upgrade hasn't cleared within the window yet. I am not sure why it wouldn't have cleared yet. I think it may be stuck because of the downgrade. Is this possible and how can I ensure that this isn't the case?
It most likely hasn't cleared because the 500-mile upgrade bucket is still empty. If C is still available you can request your BXP1 upgrade again.

The key point is that there are two upgrade buckets (C and X) and not one. Most often C will clear first and X closer to departure. At the gate, a request for C should take priority over a request for X (within your status level).

Only you can decide if the BXP1 is worth using for a short-ish flight where you might get a complementary upgrade).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
This process is very odd to me. Upcoming Thursday flight with half of F taken I got upgraded. The connection with 0 seats taken in F I’m still waiting on... wish we had a little more clarity on what determines when seats are released.

Last edited by MichaelKade; Jul 4, 2018 at 3:01 am
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Was upgraded SFO-MIA-DTW at T-100, which was surprising as SFO-MIA was J2 at the time.
Both upgrades were processed at the same time, so actually T-107 for MIA-DTW; for some reason, I always thought they started clearing them 100 hours prior to each individual flight.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:47 am

Not sure if this belongs here but will ask any way.

Got a SWU applied to MIA-LHR for 7-14. Checked seats yesterday and website has me listed as original seat and in J. I go to "Choose seats" and it kicks me back to my original PE seat.
Checked this yesterday and thought, Ok, it is in the process of re-ticketing. Checked again this morning and still the same.

Is it somehow "stuck"? I guess I will give it 24 hrs since I checked yesterday and then call in if no change. Sure want to be able pick a seat as they may be going fast.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by shaddie
Not sure if this belongs here but will ask any way.

Got a SWU applied to MIA-LHR for 7-14. Checked seats yesterday and website has me listed as original seat and in J. I go to "Choose seats" and it kicks me back to my original PE seat.
Checked this yesterday and thought, Ok, it is in the process of re-ticketing. Checked again this morning and still the same.

Is it somehow "stuck"? I guess I will give it 24 hrs since I checked yesterday and then call in if no change. Sure want to be able pick a seat as they may be going fast.
I'd advise calling in now to get the reissue and associated cleanup of segments done, so that you can have the widest possible choice of seats.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
I'd advise calling in now to get the reissue and associated cleanup of segments done, so that you can have the widest possible choice of seats.
Checked again a few minutes ago and it let me choose seat in J. Must take IT processes a long time for some reason.

Now here is hoping the return clears soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.