Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AY / Finnair “ineligible” flights for AAdvantage mileage accrual glitch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold

I flew on Finnair business class in early November from BKK to HEL to LHR and then onto YUL. All one ticket and all coded as Finnair flights and "I" class, but the segment to Montreal was on BA. Received credit for the first and last but not for HEL to LHR. I submitted the credit online via AA website with all appropriate info. and finally today the flight shows up on my account page with no mileage and the details portions showing as ineligible. Called AA desk who tells me after looking into this that flights in the 1000 series are ineligible (flight number was 1331) . This was an A350 Finnair plane and not some regional carrier etc. The agent admitted that nothing is stated on their website under the earning miles page, with Finnair, nor on Finnair's website, and that it should be. Fortunately I earned enough to re qualify for platinum (just) and if I had counted on these miles to qualify, I would be out of luck as I do not have any travel plans this month. Anyone else had similar experience?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'll be on that same flight in mid-January, in business also. As you said, there's nothing anywhere on the AA or AY websites that say that any flights aren't eligible for mileage accrual. We'll see what happens.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
That seems odd. Are you sure that portion was "I" class?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I would have asked firmly but politely that someone research this and send me a complete explanation of why it was denied (not just a cursory sentence).
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
That seems odd. Are you sure that portion was "I" class?
I just checked my future itinerary, and for all portions the fare basis code begins with I. On the AA site for earning miles on AY
It specifically lists I class as earning miles. It is a discounted biz class, but should still earn miles, just not as many as J, D, or C. The only exceptions listed at the bottom are flights to/from Cuba.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I would definitely call AA back on this one, instead of the normal reservations number make sure to contact AAdvantage Customer Service.

There are tons of AY intra EU flights (HEL-LHR, FRA, CDG, etc) in the 1000 range, so this doesn't make any sense.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Finnair is having trouble crediting flights in the 1xxx-series to partners. This is due to flight numbering changes that happened lately. Discussed on BA board as well Finnair points not crediting?
fleur_de_lys and JDiver like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA executive platinum, United premier gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by duvin
Finnair is having trouble crediting flights in the 1xxx-series to partners. This is due to flight numbering changes that happened lately. Discussed on BA board as well Finnair points not crediting?
Thank you for the link. will check it out. Also thanks for the other responses. It was an I class fare and purchased as one ticket on Finnair website. The agent kept me hold for about 10 minutes and then came back and told she spoke with a supervisor who came up with explanation. She agreed that this detail about "1000" series flights not eligible was not on their website and would make sure that would be made known on their site in the future. Right!!! ... Anyways I didn't pursue the discussion any further, but I will call Advangtage customer service again.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Update: I finally called advantage customer service. Agent told me that they were having problems with Finnair- "rules kept changing". It looks like 2000 series and "charter" flights ineligible, however mine was a 1000 series flight. Per agent, not sure why it didn't post, but according to today's rules, the flight should be eligible, so agent resubmitted with a change of date and the miles appeared immediately in my account.
nutwpinut, TravelLawyer and JDiver like this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
Update: I finally called advantage customer service. Agent told me that they were having problems with Finnair- "rules kept changing". It looks like 2000 series and "charter" flights ineligible, however mine was a 1000 series flight. Per agent, not sure why it didn't post, but according to today's rules, the flight should be eligible, so agent resubmitted with a change of date and the miles appeared immediately in my account.
Glad you got a competent AAgent that was able to get it taken care of correctly ^.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
Just to clarify, you called the EXP Desk when you say AA customer service? I need this resolved before end of year, as the HEL-LHR segment in J will give both my wife and I the additional 275 EQD for EXP requalification!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just to clarify, you called the EXP Desk when you say AA customer service? I need this resolved before end of year, as the HEL-LHR segment in J will give both my wife and I the additional 275 EQD for EXP requalification!
Not speaking for OP but I think you need to call and ask for Advantage Customer Service. I've had them quickly sort out issues with paid J upgraded to F on CX before in a matter of minutes. Just explain the urgency and insist the matter be handled over the phone as your qualification depends on it. May want to ask for a supervisor up front but Adv CS can manually post flights.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
AA EXP desk can route you to the AAdvantage Customer Service desk. They can take care of it.

275 miles short of EXP. Almost there !
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 869
Not speaking for OP but I think you need to call and ask for Advantage Customer Service. I've had them quickly sort out issues with paid J upgraded to F on CX before in a matter of minutes. Just explain the urgency and insist the matter be handled over the phone as your qualification depends on it. May want to ask for a supervisor up front but Adv CS can manually post flights.
Speaking from experience, it really is a YMMV situation based on the agent you get. I had an issue due to a CX Y->J issue was that took a FedEx’d letter to fix because multiple agents and sups swore they could do nothing

The best bet it to simply keep trying as several No’s doesn’t mean you aren’t right.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I got through to the AAdvantage CS through the EXP desk, and they assured me that all should be good, although it could take 30 days if Finnair drags it out. They also told me that it would be retroactive to credit against this years qualification requirements for the 2018-19 period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.