Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Girlsruntheworld
I called the exp desk yesterday and they had an update from Nov 9 that some routes to a few Asian cities are back to normal catering. But SYD wasn't on that list. I suppose it's anyone's guess and we'll find out tomorrow. If normal catering is resumed and I still get a voucher - I'm good with that!
how is HK?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by crankychick
I am not sure of the wine situation, drinks were on a trolley and reminded me of domestic business, so could have been the 1 red/white wine option. Asked for a vodka, soda & lime as a drink and got that including lime garnish.
Lazy flight attendants.

According to the AA service manual, carts or trolleys should not be used for serving beverages or food in Business and First classes even on domestic flights. All drinks and meals are to be hand carried from the galley to the passengers.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:24 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I just got off AA 28 a little bit ago. I hate to say this, but this fiasco resulted in a net improvement to AA's meal service in coach. Based on the E-mails and gate communication, I was expecting no meal service at all. However, we had a wide choice of snacks (crisps and cookies) as well as sandwiches and wraps from HMS Host. It beat the previous offering hands down because everything looked and tasted fresh. It makes you wonder why AA doesn't use HMS in the first place. Anyway, I think $50,- was a nice gesture considering they didn't have to, but I do think it is ridiculous that this problem is still not resolved. It's kinda embarrassing, but AA is mostly embarrassing these days. Their inflight meals at the front of the bus have been laughable for months.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:25 pm

On AA 27 LAX HND in J. Got an email itinerary from AA yesterday with my original meal selection, then the apology email about catering issues, then the email about the voucher, then the $200 e-voucher. They are serving standard domestic first class meals, steak and lasagna and have a full bar. I asked about the later meal and the attendant didn’t know what they had in the galley.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It only took Delta two weeks:
2 more airlines stop using LAX caterer hit by listeria

<snip>

Delta says it still gets cheese and fruit plates and wraps that are prepared in another part of the LAX Gate Gourmet facility but is getting hot meals from another Gate Gourmet facility in California. Delta spokeswoman Catherine Sirna said Tuesday the airline temporarily changed caterers so Gate Gourmet can be more aggressive in improving food safety.

<snip>
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:45 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Is this still a thing? My girlfriend got a $50 compensation evoucher for her Y seat LAX to JFK, but I haven't got anything for an F fare LAX - CLT on Saturday. Possibly because I don't use an AA frequent flyer number?

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Nov 16, 2017 at 10:52 pm
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
I appreciate AA doing double catering etc but they really need to figure this out. Has GG not fixed their contamination? People eat at chipotle again...
Old Nov 16, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Business class from LAX to Narita on November 14.

First meal was a choice between beef filet with couscous and a vegetarian lasagna.

The filet also came with a side of a cold corn dish that was quite spicy, plus a wedge of lettuce and some tomatoes. Desert was a small lemony thing.

Snack offered mid flight was a fruit and cheese platter.

Final meal was the most depressing: a small ham/cheese sandwich.

FA said they expected the catering situation to resolve in a week.

I received 3 x $200 vouchers good to use within a year.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Is this still a thing? My girlfriend got a $50 compensation evoucher for her Y seat LAX to JFK, but I haven't got anything for an F fare LAX - CLT on Saturday. Possibly because I don't use an AA frequent flyer number?
Very likely.
I have an itinerary with 4 pax in mid-con F - only i had AA# attached and only one $50 cert showed up. I'll probably follow up to get the rest...
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:01 am
RJ1

Traveled on Flt 2600, LAX-MIA yesterday in first.

Ground staff (check in desk and AC attendant) did not know if the flight would be fully catered. They were doubtful. At the gate, the agent thought it should be fully catered but couldn't say for sure. I will add that I saw an LSG truck servicing the Hawaii flight at the gate next to ours, but catering was complete for our flight once we arrived at the gate, so unsure who handled.

On board, pillows, duvets and amenity gifts were all provisioned. PBD was anything you wanted. We had to sit for almost an hour after boarding for a last minute safety check repair.

Once in the air, FA came around taking orders and apologized for the limited options. She said they were just getting established with the new caterer. Choices were steel cut oatmeal or a fruit filled pastry with sausage and "vegetables " which turned out to be asparagus. Bread basket was passed.

Fruit and packaged snacks were available throughout the flight in the galley. Mid flight a warm sweet snack was served, either a chocolate chip cookie or raspberry cheesecake.

Full compliment of alcoholic beverages was available, including garnishes.

Service by the FA was so-so. She did the bare minimum. At one point in the flight another passenger got the snack basket from the galley and went around offering items to the other FC passengers!
Old Nov 17, 2017, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RJ1
At one point in the flight another passenger got the snack basket from the galley and went around offering items to the other FC passengers!
LOL. Love it. #GoingForGreat indeed.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by RJ1
Traveled on Flt 2600, LAX-MIA yesterday in first.

Ground staff (check in desk and AC attendant) did not know if the flight would be fully catered. They were doubtful. At the gate, the agent thought it should be fully catered but couldn't say for sure. I will add that I saw an LSG truck servicing the Hawaii flight at the gate next to ours, but catering was complete for our flight once we arrived at the gate, so unsure who handled.

On board, pillows, duvets and amenity gifts were all provisioned. PBD was anything you wanted. We had to sit for almost an hour after boarding for a last minute safety check repair.

Once in the air, FA came around taking orders and apologized for the limited options. She said they were just getting established with the new caterer. Choices were steel cut oatmeal or a fruit filled pastry with sausage and "vegetables " which turned out to be asparagus. Bread basket was passed.

Fruit and packaged snacks were available throughout the flight in the galley. Mid flight a warm sweet snack was served, either a chocolate chip cookie or raspberry cheesecake.

Full compliment of alcoholic beverages was available, including garnishes.

Service by the FA was so-so. She did the bare minimum. At one point in the flight another passenger got the snack basket from the galley and went around offering items to the other FC passengers!
Oatmeal? Vegetables? Cookie?
I am trying to figure out if this was breakfast (never heard of a lunch be oatmeal) or lunch ( vegetables/asparagus)?
Have never heard of cookies or asparagus catered for breakfast.
Hope it was tasty, whatever it's called.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
LAX-HND yesterday is definitely not back to normal. I had pre-ordered chicken but our options were beef or lasagna. No menus. No Japanese Meals. Carts in the aisle for service. Terrible wine (1 white/red). Felt like I was on a 12 hour domestic flight. Crew was amazing and utterly embarrassed and apologetic. Have not received any vouchers from AA and was not notified via email like my domestic flight last week. Hit up the Twitter team and their response was basically "sorry your meal choice wasn't available". Amazing. Will try an email to customer service.

Originally Posted by edyang
I received 3 x $200 vouchers good to use within a year.
Were there 3 of you traveling?

Lunch

Mid flight snack.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
SO it’s apparent that AA is considering “fully catered” to be “Hey there will be food of some sort....deal with it” for long haul J.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
SO it’s apparent that AA is considering “fully catered” to be “Hey there will be food of some sort....deal with it” for long haul J.
In the same way the cost of the ticket only is supposed to get you from A>B and doesn't matter if it's on schedule or class of service

Just checked my email and a voucher finally showed up. So that's good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.