Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Just landed in HKG after flying 193 in business. Got a $200 voucher. Food seemed to be like what you get with domestic first.

PDB has champagne, water and OJ

Hot towels and Warm nuts was passed out after take off.

Dinner was cheese tortellini with bread rolls (the whole weat roll was pretty good) I don't think there was an option. She simply said "Is cheese tortellini okay"

Dessert was chocolate cake or cheese & crackers

Breakfast was egg sandwich or oatmeal with a choice of biscuit or cinnamon roll.

Although it may look unappealing, the taste was surprisingly reasonable. But then again I'm not a picky either.

If you ask me though, I'd still rather have an the regular business class meal over the $200 e-voucher. (At least it's not those stupid paper ones you have to mail in to use. )
Old Nov 14, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eneka
Just landed in HKG after flying 193 in business. Got a $200 voucher. Food seemed to be like what you get with domestic first.

PDB has champagne, water and OJ

Hot towels and Warm nuts was passed out after take off.

Dinner was cheese tortellini with bread rolls (the whole weat roll was pretty good) I don't think there was an option. She simply said "Is cheese tortellini okay"

Dessert was chocolate cake or cheese & crackers

Breakfast was egg sandwich or oatmeal with a choice of biscuit or cinnamon roll.

Although it may look unappealing, the taste was surprisingly reasonable. But then again I'm not a picky either.

If you ask me though, I'd still rather have an the regular business class meal over the $200 e-voucher. (At least it's not those stupid paper ones you have to mail in to use. )
that's really not bad. I'd easily take the meals you pictured and described plus $200
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
John Lithgow on WWHL on Bravo and he mentions there was no dinner on AA (presumably from LAX to JFK).....classy operation AA....can we fire the new VP of LAX who is apparently too incompetent?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:12 pm

I'm on 192 (HKG-DFW, i.e. the reciprocal flight for 193) this weekend. Am I correct to assume (or hope) that this flight is catered in HKG?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PandaSoPink
Nope, flying out tomorrow LAX to AKL and just got an email today still not resolved with the $200 voucher. Seriously wondering what they will be serving on this long haul.
Hubby and I were on this flight Sunday in business and both are EXP.

They did a PDB - Water/OJ/Sparking Wine, trolley with the Jammies and Newspapers and amenity kits and Bose headsets were at the seats when boarded.

Crew was very apologetic about the catering and offered a choice of the chicken and couscous or pasta. Not sure what kind of pasta. Hubby ordered a special meal and it was onboard. I am not sure of the wine situation, drinks were on a trolley and reminded me of domestic business, so could have been the 1 red/white wine option. Asked for a vodka, soda & lime as a drink and got that including lime garnish.

Breakfast was an option of oatmeal (without the brown sugar, milk, etc) or eggs and perhaps turkey bacon (?) - the FA wasn't 100% sure.

Prior to departure, received the email indicating catering was impacted, but only hubby received a voucher, not me. As we are AKL based, requested miles instead of vouchers and AA complied.
PandaSoPink likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Just flew 169 (LAX-NRT) yesterday in business. Spectacularly poor catering on AA part. As reported by others more like domestic first catering.

I told the very friendly agent at check-in that I had received several emails about catering. I asked if I should buy some stuff to eat before boarding. She said let me check todays bulletin. She came back with "nope, you are good to go. Full catering. This was resolved a few days after it happened." Of course I just smiled, said thank you, knowing better reading this thread.

First meal was choice of two items. Steak. Something else. Steak was ok, but as mentioned, domestic first plating. The dessert was actually very good. Lemon/cream something.

Lots of packaged foods set out and brought around for pax to choose.

Snack before landing was an inedible sandwich.

Did get an email that a 200 voucher would be mailed to me.

All in all, I didn't starve, but it wasn't the usual quality (haha).

The crew was VERY apologetic.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I have just got to know this was happening after contacting AA on Twitter regarding the inability to choose my entree on a LAX-JFK in F in 2 weeks time. JFK-LAX was working fine.

I was so excited about flying on the A321T in F for the first time, but I am not that excited anymore.

God knows what the chances are that they'll get it sorted within the next two weeks.

I wouldn't know what to do with a $200 voucher. I don't fly AA that often. If I was affected, would they be able to offer other means of compensation? Perhaps cash? Ticket is issued by BA.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 8:11 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
What’s confusing about this is they clearly seem capable of preparing the domestic catering, they’re just choosing to do it for international flights. Pray they’re not contemplating making this change permanent.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
can we fire the new VP of LAX who is apparently too incompetent?
Whoa... Wouldn't that fall under Jill Surdek and not Suzanne Boda? (That's actually a question, because I don't know, but it seems odd to me that even a city-specific catering issue -- especially the contingency planning of one -- would fall under a facility-specific VP.)

Originally Posted by dll
What’s confusing about this is they clearly seem capable of preparing the domestic catering, they’re just choosing to do it for international flights. Pray they’re not contemplating making this change permanent.
Just a guess, but LSG uses satellite kitchens for components of the domestic meals and has those meals already in the supply chain -- they can be ramped up on short demand. The inventory and onboarding for the business class meals is more specific and takes longer to implement, especially in a specific city. That's not to say AA is using LSG at LAX, but LSG can source the domestic meals through other channels if needed.

No, I'd be willing to bet there is no way this is considered a long term solution -- just a logistically easy stop-gap.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Any recent reports on domestic F catering out of LAX? Are all the normal domestic F meals going to international flights? I'm concerned about an LAX-AUS dinner flight coming up next Monday. No pre-order option on aa.com.
ringingup likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by dll
At least for the LAX-NRT/HND flights, the catering is actually done out of DFW and then flown into LAX in the morning. I suspect there's not space to allow for the full business class service in this model, since DFW is obviously totally capable of doing proper business class catering.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by ctmike
Flying LAX to SYD in J November 23 and curious as to any recent experiences on the catering. In a prior reply, I saw catering for all flights would be "back to normal" by November 18, but looks doubtful since still don't have the ability to pre-select a meal.
I'm on that route tomorrow. I'll post an update of what I get. I'm in PE unless my upgrade clears.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Girlsruntheworld
I'm on that route tomorrow. I'll post an update of what I get. I'm in PE unless my upgrade clears.
I'm on this route tomorrow as well so see you on the flight Our upgrade clearing odds are looking pretty bleak, as I'm sure you've seen...anyway, following this thread I had read that the SYD route is back to normal again. I was surprised to just get the AA email saying catering will be effected and got a voucher. Is that just AA being cautious? Or is there a chance our SYD flight tomorrow still may have limited catering?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Happy to report that all seem to be back to normal on flight 83 - LAX-AKL on November 13th.
Received voucher in advance tho.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
I'm on this route tomorrow as well so see you on the flight Our upgrade clearing odds are looking pretty bleak, as I'm sure you've seen...anyway, following this thread I had read that the SYD route is back to normal again. I was surprised to just get the AA email saying catering will be effected and got a voucher. Is that just AA being cautious? Or is there a chance our SYD flight tomorrow still may have limited catering?
I called the exp desk yesterday and they had an update from Nov 9 that some routes to a few Asian cities are back to normal catering. But SYD wasn't on that list. I suppose it's anyone's guess and we'll find out tomorrow. If normal catering is resumed and I still get a voucher - I'm good with that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.