Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Flying LAX/LIH tomorrow in F. Got 3 emails today. The first telling me why there is a problem with catering, the second was a link to a $100 voucher and the third telling me catering may not meet expectations and expect a voucher for the inconvenience.

I appreciated all the communication, one would think a single email would do, but I got a laugh at the order they were received.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Alaska 75K MVP
Well it was a breakfast

Originally Posted by gilam
I"m on the same flight and the purser came by to make sure I knew about the downgraded service.

It's been a while since I've flown AA to Asia since I normally take Cathay but I sure hope that was a downgraded meal. hate to think that's what they serve in J on a regular basis.

On the plus side the cabin crew has been very visible so far
​​​​​​So the breakfast in J was a box with a cold half sandwich and a bag of rice crackers. That was spectacularly bad.

In the end I think $200 in compensation is probably not enough but it's in the ballpark. Just make sure you can get through 12 hours on one meal or bring your own
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
​​​​​​So the breakfast in J was a box with a cold half sandwich and a bag of rice crackers. That was spectacularly bad.

In the end I think $200 in compensation is probably not enough but it's in the ballpark. Just make sure you can get through 12 hours on one meal or bring your own
You don't think $200 is enough compensation for airline food? Seriously?

Regards
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by scubadu
You don't think $200 is enough compensation for airline food? Seriously?

Regards
Seems more than generous to me, and if AA someday wants to offer flights sans meals at a $200 discount I won't complain
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:49 am

I still cannot believe all the people complaining about this. AA has been proactive sending out notices ahead of time so one can plan. On top of that, the compensation of $100/$200 is more than generous consider what one is actually missing. Pack some food in your carry on and move on with your handsome compensation.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rjw242
Seems more than generous to me, and if AA someday wants to offer flights sans meals at a $200 discount I won't complain
+1

I received a $100 voucher for my LAX-ORD flight in Y last weekend (didn't get upgraded). That's more than fair IMO especially since they gave plenty of advanced noticed and was able to plan for it accordingly.

international flights are a bit different since you need two meals, but I'd rather take $200 + Qantas First Lounge + 1 Cold Sandwich over two "normal" in flight meals.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
LAX-DEN in F yesterday was proactively given a $50 voucher and was catered with a wrap and chips. For that short of a flight totally acceptable
Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Alaska 75K MVP
It's all relative and optics and AA didn't think it through

Originally Posted by dciolli
+1

I received a $100 voucher for my LAX-ORD flight in Y last weekend (didn't get upgraded). That's more than fair IMO especially since they gave plenty of advanced noticed and was able to plan for it accordingly.

international flights are a bit different since you need two meals, but I'd rather take $200 + Qantas First Lounge + 1 Cold Sandwich over two "normal" in flight meals.
For LAX to ORD I would take a $100. Double that for LAX to HKG/AKL/NRT not so much. The problem here is proportionality. What % of the fare is $100 for a typical LAX-ORD flight? Now do the math for a J class fare to Asia. See the problem?

AA clearly didn't think through the optics of just doubling the voucher for a 4 hour flight vs a 13-15 hour flight. You can suck it up and just not eat for 4 hours. Most people wouldn't for 13+. Bringing any kind of decent food isn't an option either... Unless you like eating food sitting out for hours

Ask yourself this question... What would Singapore Airlines/Cathay/Emirates/Etihad/Qatar do in a similar situation? I'd bet any amount of money you'd care to name that either in absolute $ or percentage of fare it would be higher by a lot than what American just gave.

Last edited by gilam; Nov 11, 2017 at 11:24 am Reason: Misspelling
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Flying LAX-RDU tomorrow in First on an AAnytime Award. Got the same three emails:
1. There's a problem with catering
2. We're sorry, you'll get $50
3. Here's the $50 voucher

A $50 voucher for a transcon is really weak.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
For LAX to ORD I would take a $100. Double that for LAX to HKG/AKL/NRT not so much. The problem here is proportionality. What % of the fare is $100 for a typical LAX-ORD flight? Now do the math for a J class fare to Asia. See the problem?

AA clearly didn't think through the optics of just doubling the voucher for a 4 hour flight vs a 13-15 hour flight. You can suck it up and just not eat for 4 hours. Most people wouldn't for 13+. Bringing any kind of decent food isn't an option either... Unless you like eating food sitting out for hours

Ask yourself this question... What would Singapore Airlines/Cathay/Emirates/Etihad/Qatar do in a similar situation? I'd bet any amount of money you'd care to name that either in absolute $ or percentage of fare it would be higher by a lot than what American just gave.
Pretty sure SQ/CX etc would have found a way to cater their flights. Even if it cost more. Yes AA is giving off the illusion of generosity but they also know that a good number of travel vouchers go unused. And that even if you use a travel voucher you're still spending money with AA - so they still come out on top.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by uscjeff
LAX-DEN in F yesterday was proactively given a $50 voucher and was catered with a wrap and chips. For that short of a flight totally acceptable
I flew LIH-LAX in F on Tuesday. I got a $25 voucher for food and beverage good that day only. I wonder why a substantially shorter flight got twice as much. They served a turkey sandwich on board. I should have saved the voucher for LAX as there is nothing worth eating at LIH.

Originally Posted by mialink
Flying LAX/LIH tomorrow in F. Got 3 emails today. The first telling me why there is a problem with catering, the second was a link to a $100 voucher and the third telling me catering may not meet expectations and expect a voucher for the inconvenience.

I appreciated all the communication, one would think a single email would do, but I got a laugh at the order they were received.
And you got 4 X what I did.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Flying LAX-HKG today and received voucher lay night.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:00 pm

Virgin is offering $8 meal vouchers
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:58 pm
RJ1

Is there any pattern of whether one receives a future travel credit voucher or the meal voucher (for day of travel)? Are people receiving BOTH, or just one or the other?
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:09 pm

My datapoint was probably duplicated somewhere in the last 19 or so pages, but:

Flew paid F LAX to ORD today. Had booked some months ago, preselected meals not quite a week ago.

Got first email two days ago, advising of catering issue and to expect compensation.

Got second email later same day, with $50 compensation. (Actually, $50 each for me and companion, who was also paid-F).

Got a third email the following day, advising (again) of catering issue, and that they'd be issuing compensation.

They had terrible prepack salads and wraps in F, and ran out before everyone was served. Tableware was limited to a plastic fork wrapped in a paper napkin. Drinks were available (only had soft drinks - can't speak for other choices).

I'm ok with a $50 voucher, I guess. I'd like more, especially considering the tickets were true paid F. But, getting stuck with a lousy turkey wrap for a few hours isn't something I'm going to take the time to raise an fuss about.

EDIT: Forgot to mention.. no PDB (unsure if related), and no snacks/drinks/announcements prior to boarding.

Last edited by Presguy; Nov 11, 2017 at 10:12 pm Reason: More detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.