Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
An embarrassment of epic proportions and helps solidify why I largely now avoid US Airways dba American Airlines.

Cancelled a paid J LAX-JFK-LAX for tomorrow; switching to jetBlue Mint.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The crazy thing is DL just told their FA's that they are making LAX catering adjustments, and has made "alternate catering arrangements" BUT that there is no change to menus or the offering on-board. How can DL pull off an alternative situation yet AA is unable to? It's not like DL only has to worry about a dozen flights per day......they have a significant LAX operation of their own.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a picture of "dessert" on yesterday's LAX-RDU flight. Reminds me of the cookies my grandmother used to bring me from Key Food

Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
The crazy thing is DL just told their FA's that they are making LAX catering adjustments, and has made "alternate catering arrangements" BUT that there is no change to menus or the offering on-board. How can DL pull off an alternative situation yet AA is unable to? It's not like DL only has to worry about a dozen flights per day......they have a significant LAX operation of their own.
Delta invests in their product and their customers. AA hasn't done either since the merger.

Delta sees this as a major problem and takes the steps to rectify it.

AA sees this as a way to save some catering costs for a few weeks.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Did Delta announced they suspended catering with Gate Gourmet? The bacteria was only found in the drains and bot in any foods, many airlines are still using them. Afaik only AA and Virgin Australia (?) has suspended them.

Last edited by Eneka; Nov 13, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Originally Posted by mialink
Flying LAX/LIH tomorrow in F.
Sorry for the late update, on board choices were "veggie/cheese lasagna" or "curry shrimp". The lasagna was the same slab of paste I received on my earlier ORD/LAX flight. The only difference was the sides. Unlike the ORD flight I did receive a lime in my G&T. Dessert was vanilla ice cream with choice of strawberry or pineapple. We also received the HI nut mix, served ice cold. No mints, full PDB, major shenanigans over meal choice.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Updating my previous post, I received a $50 voucher.

Thank you for contacting us about the difficulties that you encountered on your recent trip. We are sorry to hear that we didn't provide more accurate information so as to lessen the inconvenience of the catering issue at the LAX Airport; we should have been more responsive to your needs. We understand how frustrating this was for all of our travelers departing from LAX and I'm sorry you were given conflicting information about the catering on your specific flight.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Lax-Mia F food catering seemed normal today, except no mixed nuts in ramekins (but I was told they had the packaged nuts.)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Delta invests in their product and their customers. AA hasn't done either since the merger.

Delta sees this as a major problem and takes the steps to rectify it.

AA sees this as a way to save some catering costs for a few weeks.
Bingo!

To all of those defending AA because it's just impossible to pivot to another catering company in less than several weeks....

“Delta has made alternate catering arrangements so there is no interruption to its on-board food offerings,” it added.
MAH4546, bchandler02 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:46 pm

Am I missing something or has it taken both carriers approximately two weeks to make a catering change?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP
All out of nothing about nothing.

As u said it was suppose to be refreshments. U did well.

Originally Posted by ianmanka
Attachment 43796I flew Friday's AA1379 LAX-BOS (the red-eye), upgraded to F. No e-mail before the flight.

I used T5 Priority Check-in (former Delta One check-in area) and asked the agents there about the catering situation. They looked at me blankly, and I had to mention a few other key phrases ("listeria," "meal service," "snacks") before it clicked as to what I was asking about. They said they had no other information, but recommended that I pick up something in the terminal. I asked if any meal vouchers were being issued for this purpose, was told flat-out no.

I didn't have Admirals Club access for this flight, but decided to check with them in case they had better information. There the AC agent said that all catering issues had been resolved and that I had nothing to worry about.

Seeing the disparity of the two opinions, I talked to the gate agent. The GA working the flight didn't know, deferred to the senior GA, who walked down to the plane and said "yes, it's been double catered, there's food."

On boarding, passing by the folding tables stationed in the jet bridge stocked with beverages and other items covered by tablecloths, I boarded and asked the FA what the catering situation was. She said she had sandwiches and some snacks from the previous flight.

PDB was water or OJ. Then upon a departure delay waiting for maintenance to inspect a missing lifejacket compartment cover, I was able to ask for other drinks.

After takeoff, the snack basket was a picked-over collection of pretzels, mixed nuts, and cookie thins. To the side of the snack basket were plastic-wrapped turkey, lettuce, and cheese sandwiches (TLCs?) on wheat, with a laserjet address label slapped on the back identifying them. This flight is normally "refreshments," so I guess I should take it as a win. But then I tasted the sandwich -- the bread was hard and borderline-stale. I would have rather had a full snack basket instead of the sandwich.

(I checked after landing, and this plane originated in HNL)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Cancelled a paid J LAX-JFK-LAX for tomorrow; switching to jetBlue Mint.
Good for you, ultimately in America that is the only way companies respond when they see impact in top and bottom line. Airline business is very heavily dependent on top fliers, AA seems going out of its way to screw with them. Being a SF based flyer, I have toyed with going 100% with DL but have not pulled the plug, next year might be it. This year I flew DL several times to and from ANC and say the day/night difference in their over all service vs both AA and AS. Currently on AA 192 back, you can't help but notice the bad service, I avoided the crappy food by having a dinner at CX F lounge (which even after cost cutting is still better than any AA food), but the cabin is a mess, only snacks in the so called bar were left over desserts which looked gross and some stuff that came straight from a vending machine, but hey it was sitting on clean table cloth, washroom amenities were missing or empty, garbage bags sitting open in galley, sinks in C/F washrooms absolutely gross! When you combine a very good hard product with very bad soft product, you get bad overall product.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ElCaminoReal
Am I missing something or has it taken both carriers approximately two weeks to make a catering change?
That's the way I see it. And one of those carriers thought that it was OK to serve its passengers food possibly contaminated with lysteria during that interim period.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:22 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I'm guessing this issue was resolved?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by uxb
I'm guessing this issue was resolved?
Nope....except that DL customers were not impacted and AA customers have been.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.