Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 9:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cmd320
I feel like there is something more to this than some listeria traces in a drain somewhere. That seems like something that could be cleared up with some bleach down the drain.
I should have included this in my original response to your post.

The listeria traces may have been found in the drain, but that is not where they originated. Until they find the source and eradicate it, I would not trust any food coming out of that kitchen.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by DCP2016
200 in airline money is worth nothing to me when I don't have food for a 9-15 hour flight.
There is food. It's just not up to standard. I'd rather take a voucher than miles these days. I can actually use the voucher anytime and it ultimately goes towards EQD. Finding award space is much more difficult..
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Received 3 e-vouchers yesterday and am cancelling flights today due to medical emergency. What will happen?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:44 pm

Flying Y on AA193 to Hong Kong on Monday. Received a $100 coupon via email this morning. Should I expect any food onboard in Y? Or should I bring my own?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:18 pm

AA 8907 (LAX-DFW) served boxed wraps or salads in J on Nov 18. Of course, everyone wanted wraps, so they were gone by the time they got to the back half of FC. No PDB. The rest of the service seemed normal.

Coincidentally, AA 192 (HKG-LAX) did not serve the listed dessert, although they seemed otherwise catered as normal. I assume that's for reasons unrelated to the LAX problems. (I gather the plane originally came via DFW, not LAX).
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I too just found out about this, as was also wondering why I couldn't pre-book my meal LAX JFK. Thought issue was with ticket. The explat desk were very honest actually and apologetic. Ask for the vouchers/coupons, I was told, but also be prepared for no perishable catering. So take food with you !

She checked the latest news and some flights are now flying with catering and also that some flights JFK LAX were double catered for the return.

And to top it all the flagship at LAX is still not open!

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Nov 19, 2017 at 2:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Goingforgreat @LAX
crazyarmadillo and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bacampbe
AA 8907 (LAX-DFW) served boxed wraps or salads in J on Nov 18. Of course, everyone wanted wraps, so they were gone by the time they got to the back half of FC. No PDB. The rest of the service seemed normal.
Another anomaly since they seem totally capable of serving standard hot domestic meals on intercontinental flights. It's pretty inexcusable that this hasn't been solved in nearly three weeks.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Has anybody flown JFK-LAX recently? I'm wondering whether catering is fully normal in that direction, or whether it suffers due to the double catering required for the return flights from LAX. I'm flying in the morning and trying to decide between JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO. Of course the seat is the most important aspect, but all else being equal I'd choose SFO if LAX isn't going to be fully/normally catered in F. Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by T/BE20/G
Has anybody flown JFK-LAX recently? I'm wondering whether catering is fully normal in that direction, or whether it suffers due to the double catering required for the return flights from LAX. I'm flying in the morning and trying to decide between JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO. Of course the seat is the most important aspect, but all else being equal I'd choose SFO if LAX isn't going to be fully/normally catered in F. Thanks!
Last week, the only change was the dessert. To save space in the carts for the double catering, they provided a whole cheesecake which the flight attendant cut into individual serving portions and plated. Everything else was as usual.
T/BE20/G and rossmacd like this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I would happily take a $100 or $200 voucher and take my own food on board.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I would too if I knew I’d have a way to use it in the next 12 months!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Another anomaly since they seem totally capable of serving standard hot domestic meals on intercontinental flights.
I mean, we are talking about probably an order of magnitude difference in the number of standard hot domestic meals they need for the handful of intercontinental flights vs. the multitudes of domestic meal-length flights. So it's understandable how they would prioritize the apparently limited supply of standard hot domestic meals.
It's pretty inexcusable that this hasn't been solved in nearly three weeks.
Well yes, agree here -- I can't help but scratch my head that they still haven't been able to implement a more sustainable solution.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
On a domestic flight, of course! A 14-hour intercontinental, not so much. I would like a fresh mid-flight snack, and a fresh meal before landing. And part of the "experience" on those flights is the multi-course meal service. On JFK-LHR, no thanks, I want to sleep, but a 14-hourer I need some distractions!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Still nothing for upcoming 193 tomorrow night. Am in J

​​​​​​​I can stuff myself up in QF F...but there's only how long it will last given it's a 15 hour flight!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, HYT PLT
Yesterday took a breakfast flight to ORD, they had 2 choices for the first 4 people. They all went with bagel and yogurt. The rest of us received cold turkey lunch meat with sundried tomatoes on an English muffin, one boiled egg and 6 dried out blue berries in a plastic cup. I believe all 12 of us unwrapped the sandwich, looked at it put it back in the box and handed it back to the FA. Our "reward", $50.

The offerings in the temp admirals hospitality lounge looked MUCH better. Going for great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.