Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
That's asking Doug Parker too much. Why would he invest in quality catering?

Like I said before, AA sees this as a cost savings opportunity, not a customer problem. That's the US Airways way of doing business that has taken over the AA culture.
Penny-wise, pound-foolish.
I'm really just talking about it as a stop-gap measure, though. But maybe this is the (not so) new normal.
Maybe a corporate contract loss or two will get through to him.

All that said, it's kind of hard to square that up with, say, the investments they're making in Flagship Lounges.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by brodielayne
474 post, mostly people pissed about the lack of airline food. Interesting.....
It's not "just airline food" - it's some of AA's most premium routes such as SYD, HKG, NRT, that have had a substandard product for over a month. The "number of flights" BS doesn't cut it. No doubt Dougie and Co look at this as "oh well they already bought their tickets" and as long as people aren't left with water for 15 hours, nothing else matters.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by kmersh
He said that last he heard DELTA was using GateGourmet for cold kitchen prepared food such as cheese, fruit, vegetables, etc., as well as linens, cutlery, dishware, etc. and that DELTA was sourcing hot food from I want to say he said SFO, but I maybe wrong on that.
I posted a link to an article that pretty much states that two weeks ago:
Originally Posted by TWA884
It only took Delta two weeks:
2 more airlines stop using LAX caterer hit by listeria

<snip>

Delta says it still gets cheese and fruit plates and wraps that are prepared in another part of the LAX Gate Gourmet facility but is getting hot meals from another Gate Gourmet facility in California. Delta spokeswoman Catherine Sirna said Tuesday the airline temporarily changed caterers so Gate Gourmet can be more aggressive in improving food safety.

<snip>
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
It's not "just airline food" - it's some of AA's most premium routes such as SYD, HKG, NRT, that have had a substandard product for over a month. The "number of flights" BS doesn't cut it. No doubt Dougie and Co look at this as "oh well they already bought their tickets" and as long as people aren't left with water for 15 hours, nothing else matters.
If you are going to quote me, at least do it right. Your made up quote completely took what I said out of context.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Fire Doug Parker and Robert Isom....
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:59 pm

I have a first class flight on a 737-800 (not sure of AA or LUS 737) coming up in mid december, but i am not able to select meal online for the outbound flight from LAX, but i could select meal for the returning flight into LAX. Does that mean no meal will be served for the outbound flight departing LAX?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
LUS doesn't have 738s. Doubt they will have the ordering option on-line until the situation is resolved. If it rectified by your flight, we would all be trying to read some tea leaves, so maybe.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:11 am

I wonder what they're doing with first class passengers until the catering problem is resolved... i mean, they would lose A LOT OF first-class cash-paying customers if they don't provide meals in flight for top-cash customers. Do they provide vouchers for meals at airport or are they doing something else as compensation?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I wonder what they're doing with first class passengers until the catering problem is resolved... i mean, they would lose A LOT OF first-class cash-paying customers if they don't provide meals in flight for top-cash customers. Do they provide vouchers for meals at airport or are they doing something else as compensation?
There is extensive discussion of, and answers to, these questions, in this very thread.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
. . . AA sees this as a cost savings opportunity, not a customer problem.
I think you're probably right. I flew LAX-DCA on 11/23 in paid business and had previously selected a meal. I knew about this issue from FT and the meal selection for the outbound leg had dropped off the reservation screen. They handed out snack boxes on the flight with a turkey sandwich and one other choice.

Flying as a OWE on my BAEC number, I would have thought, objectively (OWE, paid business, preselected meal) that maybe an email notification of the problem or a small voucher for the inability to deliver the preselected meal - or any "real" meal - would happen but neither did. Given that others on shorter domestic routes have reported receiving both, I'm thinking based on my limited sample size that AA could be migrating to a "squeaky wheel" approach.

I don't care enough about the issue to bother to write in, which I suppose is playing into that approach, if it exists. Perhaps we'll see more snack boxes in "first" class as a serendipitous result of this SNAFU.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
If you are going to quote me, at least do it right. Your made up quote completely took what I said out of context.
You were quoted word for word. And as pointed out, yes. If you feed me a minimally filling meal on a 15 hour flight when I've paid $10,000+ for my ticket, you'd better believe I'm going to be pissed off. Especially considering this has been going on for a month now, and the people running the show are too stupid to figure out how to fix it.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Fire Doug Parker and Robert Isom....
Agreed. It's failure after failure with these idiots. I really hope AA feels this and the pilot screw-up financially so that changes can be made.
IndyHoosier and DCP2016 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
474 post, mostly people pissed about the lack of airline food. Interesting.....
Nice of you to finally join FT Mr. Parker.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ual744777sta
CX uses Do & Co at LAX.
if thats the same as OS i am not sure why ppl complain about cx food...

back to topic - i had to manually request comp vouchers one by one for those without aa numbrrs attached but it seems to be the same $50 for midcon in (paid) F...
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by iflyeverywhere777
Relatives just got off of AA 193 LAX to HKG in J business class (regular ticket + applied my SWUs).
Departed SUNDAY November 19th, 11:45 PM LAX Time.
Relatives received $200 / each for complications of catering approximately 2 days before flight.

From the discussions, it's operating as a Domestic First Class meal service pretty much.

- PBD - Had the normal Apple Juice, Champagne, Water, OJs departure drinks.
- No Pajamas
- Amenity Kits were handed out
- No Menus at all on the flight / Food options and presentations not up to previous international Business Class Standards
- 1st Meal choice is only a Chicken or Pasta (with salad and some cold cut meat), Dessert is small chocolate cake or fruit, no ice cream served
- 2nd Snack - A sandwich but because no menus, they don't announce this. (Limited chip and snack selection in the galley)
- Landing Meal - Cereal in a Bowl or a Egg Sandwich garnished with fruit.
(Looks like Domestic first class meals still)
As of 11/28 (the supposed last day before switching caterers) the meal options were the same. The chicken dish was pretty bad, like they used a pressed chicken chunk instead of whole chicken breast. Just a really weird texture and I couldn’t eat it.

Breakfast “sandwich” looked terrible but tasted ok.

No menus. PDB was served. Amenity kits were out prior to boarding and PJs were passed out during boarding.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
if thats the same as OS i am not sure why ppl complain about cx food...
Because it has so much less to do with what company is doing the catering and so much more to do with what airline is paying for it (and how much).
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.