Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX Catering Issues Late 2017 (Listeria 1 Nov 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I really don't understand how this is still a thing. I feel like there is something more to this than some listeria traces in a drain somewhere. That seems like something that could be cleared up with some bleach down the drain. Plus the facility is in compliance with all regulations so I'm not really sure what more is going to change at this point.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
flying LAX HKG on Nov 18. already receive 200 USD e-voucher.

just need to make sure I eat enough steak at QF lounge before the flight.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cmd320
That seems like something that could be cleared up with some bleach down the drain. Plus the facility is in compliance with all regulations...
Then why both Delta and Virgin Australia stopped using Gate Gourmet for hot meals at LAX this week?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This has nothing to do with bacteria, this is AA trying a new cost saving "perk" by getting rid of meals. As evidenced by an above post, FA's providing service will also be going away, and it will become "self service".

#GoingForGreat indeed.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Then why both Delta and Virgin Australia stopped using Gate Gourmet for hot meals at LAX this week?
I don't know. It all seems very suspect. Also why was Delta able to seamlessly transition to another caterer while AA was not, despite terminating services from GG two weeks earlier? The whole situation makes no sense at all.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by DCP2016
This has nothing to do with bacteria, this is AA trying a new cost saving "perk" by getting rid of meals. As evidenced by an above post, FA's providing service will also be going away, and it will become "self service".

#GoingForGreat indeed.
it is not really a cost saving when AA is issuing 200 e-vouchers for customers.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:06 pm

Talking

#GoingForGreat indeed.
Who do you think started the outbreak?? :]
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by cmd320
Also why was Delta able to seamlessly transition to another caterer while AA was not, despite terminating services from GG two weeks earlier?
Have you been on Delta flight departing LAX since they stopped using Gate Gourmet there?

From what I've heard, Delta is also double catering flights and, according to the article that I linked above, a Delta spokesperson said that they had “temporarily adjusted catering operations" on flights departing from LAX.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
Gate Gourmet is certainly on the dime for most of the cost.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbd456
Oh please, AA is doing this knowing good well that most people aren't going to use them or can't use them. 200 in airline money is worth nothing to me when I don't have food for a 9-15 hour flight. Delta at least has capable people in charge of running their operation, can't say the same for PAArker and company.
justforfun likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skylady
Who do you think started the outbreak?? :]
AA probably snuck people into Gate Gourmet's facilities and tainted it with listeria. I smell a conspiracy.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That would be fantastic, but unfortunately it's nothing more than a ridiculous conspiracy theory.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Hilton-Diamond, UA-1K
I was supposed to fly from LAX-NRT-ICN early Dec in biz class. The delay in controlling the catering issue made me nervous and I rebooked on Korean Airlines to fly non-stop into ICN. Not sure if KE is using GG as its caterer but have not heard anything on the KE threads.

Have spent $35K on AA this yr with 200K+ EQM. The last $4K for this yr will go to KE with miles being banked to AS. If AA does not get a handle on this situation, they might start losing more customers like me who do have other options out of LAX
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer

Were there 3 of you traveling?
Yes, my apologies, my family of three.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:14 am

This is a complicated issue to resolve. The comparison isn't apples to apples, but it took Blue Bell four months to clean and reopen facilities after testing positive for listeria (in the food). Delta issued a statement that they were discontinuing use of the facility to "help Gate Gourmet take more aggressive food safety actions." I'm guessing it's hard to remediate, especially as they want to continue to provide food.

That being said, it's not stopping me from booking ex-LAX on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.