Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Making status more difficult to achieve means, with 100% certainty, that there are fewer members with status than there would have been under the previous requirements.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the absolute number will go down.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

yes just buy first class to Hawaii for $2K a couple of times a year and you’re set and you’re on vacation. Done and done.
How does 2 trips at $2K gets you to $12K EQD?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mvoight
How does 2 trips at $2K gets you to $12K EQD?
i said up threat it’s a mix of work and pleasure and that was two examples not a complete report of my status.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Count me as Ex Plat -> Plat. No way I could ever spend that much unless I got a travel-heavy job, which unfortunately most of the travel I've ever had to do for work has been in the "must book at least 2/3 weeks out +-/ $100" deal. I used to throw away money to do nothing but fly on the weekends with AA. I hit Ex Plat with a little over $6500 two years ago, which was about what I spent last year. And surprise, despite "only" flying 83,000 miles, my spend wasn't enough for PPro.

No worries though as I've defected back to UA. I have to believe that there will be a big drop in Ex Plats this year due to the spend. The no-spend requirement was actually the only reason I moved to AA in the first place.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
While I agree HKG is a different market, the international market plays almost no role here. HKG - CAN (about 100 miles) is counted as "International", which makes little sense. CX/KA still serves a lot of regional market, BKK, SIN, TPE, HND, ICN, PEK PVG etc, facing strong price competition even in premium cabin (that's why its yield is dropping hard). It's fairly hard for CX to justify the 3X $ differences to make DM/OWE compared to BA (almost all "international" from LHR/LGW, same to HKG) or AA, or the OWE percentage on MPC is way too low compared to AA EXP percentage in similar market (NYC/SFO/LAX).

Refer to endless complaints on CX side.
Agreed; CX, DM requires 1200 CP's (and that's once you are at that threshold level) to get there required 7 J tickets internationally 180 CP's a pop at ~ $6k per ticket. So easily over $40k whereas AA EXP (OWE) can be easily got for $12k min threshold.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BThumme
I hit Ex Plat with a little over $6500 two years ago, which was about what I spent last year. And surprise, despite "only" flying 83,000 miles, my spend wasn't enough for PPro.
That's about how much I spent last year, and I'm EXP again. Just gotta pick the right flights
Old Jan 31, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This type of thread comes about every year this time. Nothing will change...the planes are full, the airports are full. There are plenty of newly minted EXP's to backfill those who didn't re-qualify. The same can be said for the other elite levels as well.

Life continues on as normal.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
This type of thread comes about every year this time. Nothing will change...the planes are full, the airports are full. There are plenty of newly minted EXP's to backfill those who didn't re-qualify. The same can be said for the other elite levels as well.

Life continues on as normal.
Plus the constant e-mails from AA offering me (and I'm assuming other PPro's) to buy up to EXP; I assume many are taking the bait.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I am not convinced that status is actually any more meaningfully difficult to attain under the current system.

If we are sharing personal anecdotes:

I am already over 3000 EQD and 31K EQM for this year. It's January 31st. 15 segments, all in discount Y, mostly international longhaul.

As someone who travels almost exclusively for work, I have not changed my booking behavior one bit as a result of the changed system. It's a nonfactor. $12K is just not that difficult.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:56 pm
E55

More difficult? No.
More complex? Yes.
More expensive? Yes.

There will be fewer elites.

Originally Posted by bse118
I am not convinced that status is actually any more meaningfully difficult to attain under the current system.

I am already over 3000 EQD and 31K EQM for this year. It's January 31st. 15 segments, all in discount Y, mostly international longhaul.

As someone who travels almost exclusively for work, I have not changed my booking behavior one bit as a result of the changed system. It's a nonfactor. $12K is just not that difficult.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
I'm an ExP who will be Gold tomorrow (million miler). But in March I'll be Plat again and by the end of the year I hope to be back to the ExP ranks. But I am sure the number of ExP will drop.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bse118

For those who travel for work and/or on OPM, probably.

For college/grad students traveling mostly for leisure and out of their own pockets, 12cpm is near impossible to attain, barring EQD runs on parter airlines.

But of course airlines in general give zero .... to us students, so whatever.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by truthknown
Then there is the new CK gifting of EXP status. I would assume that the majority of CKs have gifted or are planning to gift the status, likely to their significant other. Although she doesn't travel much any longer, I gave it to my wife simply so I do not need upgrade instruments to upgrade her with me on personal domestic flights since we don't get the 500 mile stickers for free.
I actually don't know if that'll be the case. I've been EXP for 3-4 years and mentioned this benefit to my dad (late 60's and has been CK for 5+ years). My mom doesn't fly much and he isn't too up on benefits, I don't think he even knows his login online. I think there's a good portion of those people who spend a lot on flights and don't necessarily review everything they're getting from a benefits standpoint.

Last edited by sm82; Jan 31, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
I dropped from EXP to PPRO, not because of EQD, I was done in by the increase in the segments required from 100 to 120. I spent a year doing a lot of Eagle segments, so plenty of $, only 75k EQM and 105 segments. Wasn't worth the $2500 AA wanted for me to stay EXP.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by E55
More difficult? No.
More complex? Yes.
More expensive? Yes.

There will be fewer elites.

Not really. My purchasing practices, the amount of tickets I buy, the $ I spend on AA is not affected in any way by the changes in the program rules. My purchases are driven by where I need to go and when I need to be there.

There's a line of argument on FT that status itself is the goal of travel. That's it's something to be "chased." And that's true for the some people. But for a large amount of travelers, it's the other way around. Travel is something we need to do - status comes as a result of it. And the amount of travel/dollars spent/complexity is not dictated by the status goalposts.

The AAdvantage program/status drives me to fly AA over other carriers. It does not drive me to take trips that I don't have another reason to take.

Originally Posted by jacobguo
For those who travel for work and/or on OPM, probably.

For college/grad students traveling mostly for leisure and out of their own pockets, 12cpm is near impossible to attain, barring EQD runs on parter airlines.

But of course airlines in general give zero .... to us students, so whatever.
If the question was "Will be there less FTers that are AA elite?" Then the answer is yes.

But FT is not representative of the overall elite population on AA. I'm not convinced that challenges members here see with the new rules, translate to meaningful impacts in the larger AA flying population. We don't have the data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.