Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Not at all - I am flying SFO-LHR in November on a $64 fare, which with surcharges and taxes ends up at less than $600 round trip.

This is the third time this year I have done SFO-LHR for that price - its a disaster for RDM and EQD earning!
Have you looked into booking it through a web site that will cause it to post as a special fare (distance based)?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Have you looked into booking it through a web site that will cause it to post as a special fare (distance based)?
Yes, I did one trip that way (Citi TYPs) but it still posted as fare-based! (And I still reached EXP in the first 6 months of the year, thanks to BA WTP fares – I'm now at 120k EQMs and $14k EQDs).

But I have to go through corporate travel and the internal approvals process, so I'm generally lucky that I'm not told to go on United or Delta.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AA100k
I must be one of the few people who have experienced more upgrades as an EXP since the MQD has been applied. I just crossed 100k this year against a $16k spend (I book a lot of last minute long haul flights for business). Not sure the numbers of EXP have gone down but on a different subject, the lounges seem more crowded than ever.
Gotta agree with you re: getting more upgrades. I'm EXP and since Aug, I've been upgraded on 7 of 10 domestic legs (3 of those Transcon). I will achieve just over minimum thresholds so it's not like I'm killing it on EQD. But that's enough to keep me happy. Inevitably, the number of EXP will go down as the level has become harder to achieve.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm just amazed one can fly 100K miles and only have $9K in spend.
I have over 50K EQMs this year and still not cracked $3K so may not even make AA Gold after five years as an ExecPlat. Even with the balance of my flights I'd not make the $12K spend, though putting those flights into BA's program and I will earn its Gold status and OW Emerald! However, the changes made to ExecPlat this year have taken away any incentive to requalify. BA Gold will get me E+ seating and even the comp drink/snack when flying AA, and Admirals Club/Flagship lounge access on domestic-only and transborder flights...and it lasts two years with soft landing thereafter to OW Sapphire if I don't requalify. I don't have a corporate benefactor to cover my travel costs so an efficient use of my $s is critical, as is obtaining the maximum value/return.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:13 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I was top-level (Platinum Medallion) on Delta for many years. About 20 years ago, I recognized that DL and UA cared only about your money. Upgrades were based, first of all, on fare class. A first-time flyer could easily trump someone who flies every week.

I looked for an airline which values my Self-Employed, Discount-Class, Stretch-a-Dollar mile just as much as they value someone else's Expense-Account, Paid-First-Class, Other-People's-Money ticket. I found that at AA. It's been a nice ride.

Well, the ride is over. AA collapsed under the pressure, and they essentially matched the other majors. If you want status, Bring Money. Otherwise, Get In The Back. It's all about the dollar. Fortunately, I fly enough that I can compete with the corporate fatcats dollar-wise. Still, I fondly remember the days when I was valued as a customer and an AA enthusiast, instead of just a cash cow. Wow, it was a great ride while it lasted.
samm likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm just amazed one can fly 100K miles and only have $9K in spend.
I am tracking 80k on $6k spend plus 20k/$6k EQM/EQD credit card bonuses. I will likely among the lowest status Exex Plat.

With the 77W gone from my LAX-MIA monthly trip, I am wondering whether I'll get any upgrades. The 321s book up pretty full.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I have over 50K EQMs this year and still not cracked $3K so may not even make AA Gold after five years as an ExecPlat. Even with the balance of my flights I'd not make the $12K spend, though putting those flights into BA's program and I will earn its Gold status and OW Emerald! However, the changes made to ExecPlat this year have taken away any incentive to requalify. BA Gold will get me E+ seating and even the comp drink/snack when flying AA, and Admirals Club/Flagship lounge access on domestic-only and transborder flights...and it lasts two years with soft landing thereafter to OW Sapphire if I don't requalify. I don't have a corporate benefactor to cover my travel costs so an efficient use of my $s is critical, as is obtaining the maximum value/return.
BA Gold is an attractive option for sure.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I was top-level (Platinum Medallion) on Delta for many years.
Isn't Diamond Medallion top level?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finsup72
It is now. It used to top out at Platinum (on DL and NW), if I remember correctly.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm curious to see how many people come here to complain they hit 100k EQM but are relegated to gold or platinum due to spend.

I am actually shocked that this year I should clear 12k EQD but may barely make platinum due to low EQM
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:51 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
It is now. It used to top out at Platinum (on DL and NW), if I remember correctly.
Precisely. Except for a cancelled AA flight at MSP where I was re-booked on DL, it's been 25 years since I last flew Delta.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by 869
I'm curious to see how many people come here to complain they hit 100k EQM but are relegated to gold or platinum due to spend.

I am actually shocked that this year I should clear 12k EQD but may barely make platinum due to low EQM
EQMs are easy to earn with so many cheap main cabin fares so no excuse, just do a EQM run or two...likely on weekends you'll get upgraded so find a novel of two and fly.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AA100k
I spent many years as a PLT with over $12K spend rarely getting upgraded on any flight and never receiving challenges or perks offered to other members. I honestly believe they only target flyers who live in certain markets where they want to drum up business and ignore those whose choices are limited regardless of how much spend they put on AA.
I'm sitting at $17,600 EQDs and 58,000 EQMs. Easy to do if you book last minute domestic travel. My travel policy only allows paid premium for flights over 5.5 hours or if the first class ticket is within $100 of coach. In years past this means I spent a lot of time in discount F, but this year, forget it. And I've done limited international and transcon this year.

I'm seriously considering a business run to europe if I can make a weekend trip work. I'm seeing sporadic $3300 J tickets from MSY to ARN on BA (Or $1500 PE tickets from MSY to DOH - but that seems like a miserable slog just to save a few bucks).
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?
No.

/end thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better...w_of_headlines
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
That was before the merger, almost a decade ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.