Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Add in the fact that they are letting EXP's 'pay' to retain their status for the first time ever, that will mitigate the losses.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:16 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Combining threads of similar speculation/discussion into one handy place.

/Moderator
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cova
I actually think the number of EXP's will increase. With domestic J fares giving 2X EQM (at about a 2X more expensive fare), it only takes 50K EQM to qualify. Subtract 10K EQM from Barclay and 10K EQM from Citi (if you meet the max from each) then you only need 40K EQM to qualify for EXP (80K/2) when you buy J fares.
Wasn't all of this true for 2017 status? Seems unlikely that the same EQM-earning framework plus an EQD requirement would result in more EXPs.

Originally Posted by deac83
Add in the fact that they are letting EXP's 'pay' to retain their status for the first time ever, that will mitigate the losses.
Not the first time ever - this has existed for the last couple years.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
First time as EXP, and while I may not have flown alot more in 2017, I paid alot more. Certainly a conscience decision... I primarily bought J and F. Be interesting to see how this shakes out in 2018
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: HHonors-Diamond, IHG-Gold, AA Platinum, National-Exec Elite, Avis-First
I honestly can't wait until an airline finally gets it right about how they handle status. I'm 60 segments and 50k miles (almost exactly) with 20k EQD and will be a lowly platinum - same as the last 6+ years. AA should love me and do everything they can to keep me since I'm high spend low miles per dollar spent. I've never comprehended how this industry cares more about how long you're on the plane or how many miles you go... I'd think it makes more sense to chase the revenue.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:20 pm

Feb 1 - Shift in status?

Should we anticipate a shift in status come Feb 1st? In my opinion and guess, there should be be a shorter list of EXP and GLD status and relatively the same amount of Platinum's???

I think people who qualified for PPRO and EXP last year should see a better chance for upgrades. Thoughts?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I'm dropping from Plat to Gold - had the miles but not the EQD (stupid cheap ... gov fares)
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
As a PlatPro, I really hope you're right!
OTD likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tonytifao
Should we anticipate a shift in status come Feb 1st? In my opinion and guess, there should be be a shorter list of EXP and GLD status and relatively the same amount of Platinum's???

I think people who qualified for PPRO and EXP last year should see a better chance for upgrades. Thoughts?
Why would the number of PLT not also drop if the number of GLD and EXP drop?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mvoight
I believe the logic is that a ton of EXP and PPRO will be dropping to PLT. Although, presumably a number of PLT will be dropping to GLD as well. Idk.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I think a lot of people try to retain PLT as there is so many more advantage over gold. Some EXPs will probably drop to PLT. There are also lots of Lifetime Platinums that have seen the no purpose of reaching EXP due to declined benefits. Just guessing though.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: AAdantage EXP
I hope you're right! I would imagine a number of EXPs are going to drop because starting Feb 1 this year should be the first time that the dollars earned is a requirement for status right? In other words those that qualified in 2016 (before dollars were a threshold) would still hold status until the end of this month, right?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:31 pm

Correct.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
I feel like every year we've been "expecting the number of elites to drop" but upgrade lists only seem to get longer and longer. I doubt you'll see much of a change. For every EXP who might be dropping, there is a likely a newly minted EXP to take their place. A recent college grad with their first road warrior job. Living the dream!
AANYC1981 and phxbarcelona like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Then there is the new CK gifting of EXP status. I would assume that the majority of CKs have gifted or are planning to gift the status, likely to their significant other. Although she doesn't travel much any longer, I gave it to my wife simply so I do not need upgrade instruments to upgrade her with me on personal domestic flights since we don't get the 500 mile stickers for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.