Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:07 pm
E55

Speculation: First week for EQD qualifiers... thinner elite ranks?

It would seem the attrition should be evident this week if it's going to noticeably exist. How much thinner do the elite ranks seem based on upgrade lists, boarding groups, or other seat-of-the-pants metrics in your experience?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Somehow my 500 mile upgrades cleared SFO to PHX 36 hours out as Plat and then saw 24 on the list when I arrived. Not sure how my upgrade cleared first.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Somehow my 500 mile upgrades cleared SFO to PHX 36 hours out as Plat and then saw 24 on the list when I arrived. Not sure how my upgrade cleared first.
It has been reported elsewhere that there may be an IT bug allowing Plat and PlatPro upgrades to clear before EXP. Not confirmed.

As for the main topic of this thread - we've had several threads on the topic. No here knows the answer. Most recent thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-status-3.html (As OP knows since he/she posted in this thread)
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
5 Data points

Jan 30 DFW-SAN #8 on the list
Jan 31 SAN-PHX #8 on the list
Jan 31 PHX-SFO #4 on the list
Feb 02 SFO-LAX Upgraded at 72 hour mark
Feb 02 LAX-DFW Upgraded at 100 hour mark

YMMV
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Ok more concerned about you all using 500 milers to upgrades to go phx-sfo. You know that’s costing you two for an alcoholic beverage and a snack basket, right? Thankful EXP that knows better here 😜

last 3 including crossover:
1/28 jfk-sfo cleared 48hrs
1/31 oak-phx cleared 100hrs
2/4 phx-oak cleared 120hrs
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:56 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
I was 13th this morning on a 321 PBI-CLT. Obviously, I didn't clear. One guy did, then had to walk back to Y when the F seat's original owner showed up about the time Group 8 was boarding. That had to suck.

1 for 6 this year. Was around 5th on the list for the other four non-clears.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by OTD
I was 13th this morning on a 321 PBI-CLT. Obviously, I didn't clear. One guy did, then had to walk back to Y when the F seat's original owner showed up about the time Group 8 was boarding. That had to suck.

1 for 6 this year. Was around 5th on the list for the other four non-clears.
Just to be clear, you are PLT Pro?

I feel the upgrade priorities for PP and EXP are quite different for a hub route.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kreative03
Ok more concerned about you all using 500 milers to upgrades to go phx-sfo. You know that’s costing you two for an alcoholic beverage and a snack basket, right? Thankful EXP that knows better here 😜

last 3 including crossover:
1/28 jfk-sfo cleared 48hrs
1/31 oak-phx cleared 100hrs
2/4 phx-oak cleared 120hrs
Well being I have close to 60 of them and found its decently hard to use them... I put them in for every flight. But hey im glad you THINK you know better.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
That's disconcerting.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: AAdantage EXP
I'd be very curious to hear if anyone can confirm the rumors that Plat / Plat Pros are clearing before EXP due to a system glitch. As a EXP my upgrade rate so far this year has been the lowest it's ever been, around 50%. This morning I was #14 on my TPA->CLT flight. In previous years when I didn't clear in advance I was almost always 1-3, this year it's been more like 8-10 on the list. Granted I had only around $500 for spend in December, but my annual spend is around $20k so I can't imagine one month has pushed me that far back on the list.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I still say there are now more EXPs. I think AA is now giving away high level status to corporations. Set next to a guy, flying to Asia on an expensive ticket. Everyone in the company that travels at all gets Plat as a starting point, and then several other positions including EXPs and of course CKs.

My upgrade rate has gone to zero except for flights on Saturday and still not all flights on a Sat. This weekend - on Sat I cleared on outbound flight in advance (4 days ahead), both next segment and both segment on returns I was way down on the upgrade list. On Sat, the none cleared flight I was number 3, on Sunday I was 11 and 6 on the upgrade list.

On DFW to DCA flight the week before I was number 11 out of 20 EXPs. On a few weeks before I was 15 out of over 20 EXPs. SO I am not at the bottom on the EXP list.

Yes EXP will still get a few upgrades. I don't see much reason to be Plat Pro unless you are going fly otherwise, as they won't clear. At least Plat gets advance MCE and Flagship access on International.

Main reason for EXP is the 4 SWUs (which could be hard to use on some routes) and the free changes on rewards and same day change.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
I don't think it's a glitch

Originally Posted by Joe Bankard
I'd be very curious to hear if anyone can confirm the rumors that Plat / Plat Pros are clearing before EXP due to a system glitch. As a EXP my upgrade rate so far this year has been the lowest it's ever been, around 50%. This morning I was #1 4 on my TPA->CLT flight. In previous years when I didn't clear in advance I was almost always 1-3, this year it's been more like 8-10 on the list. Granted I had only around $500 for spend in December, but my annual spend is around $20k so I can't imagine one month has pushed me that far back on the list.
My spend last year was $65K, 220K whatever-they're-called qualifying miles. I couldn't even get a same day change on a paid first class refundable ticket from LAX to SFO. I was #1 on the wait list, could only get a seat way, way back in Y. They made me wait on a second list for F. Seriously.

Whether or or not there are fewer elites, my impression is that we're all chasing a reduced supply of benefits.

There's a marketing principle here: it's better to invest in the customer whose loyalty you have yet to win (P Pro) than in the one willing to demonstrate that loyalty year after year. We EXPs may not be such marketing investments.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:10 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Just to be clear, you are PLT Pro?

I feel the upgrade priorities for PP and EXP are quite different for a hub route.
Yes, Plat Pro. I face two problems: one end of my trips is at a hub, the other end is at a place with a lot of rich people who pay for F.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by cova
I still say there are now more EXPs. I think AA is now giving away high level status to corporations. Set next to a guy, flying to Asia on an expensive ticket. Everyone in the company that travels at all gets Plat as a starting point, and then several other positions including EXPs and of course CKs.
AirPass customers. They give EXP to 1-2 key people, but then PLT to the other travelers using the account.

I'm finding that using my SWU's is still very easy. I've cleared both of mine on an upcoming EZE trip during summer season down there. And looking at the other flights (MIA, JFK), there's C7 across the board.

Also cleared a lot of LHR-DFW last year in advance when C space opened up.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Jan 30 DFW-SAN #8 on the list
Jan 31 SAN-PHX #8 on the list
Jan 31 PHX-SFO #4 on the list
Feb 02 SFO-LAX Upgraded at 72 hour mark
Feb 02 LAX-DFW Upgraded at 100 hour mark
Thanks for sharing.

I don't think anyone's arguing that there are more elites on Feb. 1 than on Jan. 31 (or at least I hope not). Whether the year-on-year numbers increase or decrease remains to be seen. By AA. I mean, we'll never know

For what it's worth, I'm still clearing most upgrades, like always.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.