Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:47 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
PPROs can't drop. The status was started only last year, so anyone who made it will have the status until 1/31/19, right?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:49 am

Correct.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tonytifao
I think a lot of people try to retain PLT as there is so many more advantage over gold. Some EXPs will probably drop to PLT. There are also lots of Lifetime Platinums that have seen the no purpose of reaching EXP due to declined benefits. Just guessing though.
As a LT PLT, I concur with that last statement
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I feel like every year we've been "expecting the number of elites to drop" but upgrade lists only seem to get longer and longer. I doubt you'll see much of a change. For every EXP who might be dropping, there is a likely a newly minted EXP to take their place. A recent college grad with their first road warrior job. Living the dream!
Aside from the CKs gifting EXPs, I would be surprised if the number of EXPs doesn't go down. There were a lot of EXPs that were able to meet the previous requirements while flying on low fares , but the $12K EQD changes the landscape.

Seeing upgrade lists growing isn't surprising as all the newly minted PPros are finally coming into play and are automatically added to those lists.

I guess we'll all see how it shakes out starting Feb 1!
Zacnlinc and Gino Troian like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Aside from the CKs gifting EXPs, I would be surprised if the number of EXPs doesn't go down. There were a lot of EXPs that were able to meet the previous requirements while flying on low fares , but the $12K EQD changes the landscape.

Seeing upgrade lists growing isn't surprising as all the newly minted PPros are finally coming into play and are automatically added to those lists.

I guess we'll all see how it shakes out starting Feb 1!
I'm not so sure. Unless you fly a lot of cheap Y intl fares, those EXPs who qualified on domestic only/mainly likely had high EQD spend.

I was a segment qualifier for a couple of years and I probably blew by 12k EQD in 4-5 months.
Segments likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm surprised people think EXP ranks will drop......$12K in spend between work and pleasure travel is very easy (not to mention EQM's which are easier if you buy premium cabins long haul - NYC-ICN and back last year was just over $3K in J).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm not so sure. Unless you fly a lot of cheap Y intl fares, those EXPs who qualified on domestic only/mainly likely had high EQD spend.

I was a segment qualifier for a couple of years and I probably blew by 12k EQD in 4-5 months.
12 years as an EXP so far, usually earned it with about $6-$7K in spend. All you needed to do was to fly long haul international to meet the EQM requirement.

A previous employer of mine changed the travel policy to such that even TPAC flights were in coach unless you were a VP or above, so I flew coach and used SWUs when I could.

If almost all EXPs would of met the EQD requirement anyway, why bother introducing a "goal" everyone would reach anyway?
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm surprised people think EXP ranks will drop......$12K in spend between work and pleasure travel is very easy (not to mention EQM's which are easier if you buy premium cabins long haul - NYC-ICN and back last year was just over $3K in J).
Easy is in the eye of the beholder.. I earned my EXP for this year all on personal spend and it was by $61..
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Have to agree $12k is fairly easy. On CX's forum it is reported that a CX Diamond spends at least $50k on CX.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Have to agree $12k is fairly easy. On CX's forum it is reported that a CX Diamond spends at least $50k on CX.
Hong Kong is a completely different market than the US. All travel is international and it has a high concentration of businesses that pay for J and even F travel depending on the level the passenger holds at a company.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
This is true. I had no plans in making EXP last year, but did so due to the number of first class tickets I bought. The spend was never a problem, even without the FC tickets. I think the number of EP's is going to stay even or climb.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I made EXP with $6300 plus the Barclays EQD bonus. There will be a drop off, my guess is 20% of EXP will drop, PPro will obviously increase, Plat slight decrease and Gold slight decrease - my wife did 47,000 EQM with less than $2000 spend as an example.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Hong Kong is a completely different market than the US. All travel is international and it has a high concentration of businesses that pay for J and even F travel depending on the level the passenger holds at a company.
While I agree HKG is a different market, the international market plays almost no role here. HKG - CAN (about 100 miles) is counted as "International", which makes little sense. CX/KA still serves a lot of regional market, BKK, SIN, TPE, HND, ICN, PEK PVG etc, facing strong price competition even in premium cabin (that's why its yield is dropping hard). It's fairly hard for CX to justify the 3X $ differences to make DM/OWE compared to BA (almost all "international" from LHR/LGW, same to HKG) or AA, or the OWE percentage on MPC is way too low compared to AA EXP percentage in similar market (NYC/SFO/LAX).

Refer to endless complaints on CX side.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by akarneboge
This is true. I had no plans in making EXP last year, but did so due to the number of first class tickets I bought. The spend was never a problem, even without the FC tickets. I think the number of EP's is going to stay even or climb.
yes just buy first class to Hawaii for $2K a couple of times a year and you’re set and you’re on vacation. Done and done.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:05 pm

per a conversation with an AA contact: "This year there is an overall rise in travel and spend levels across the board for our top fliers,..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.