Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Safe To Say There Will Be Fewer EXP In 2018 ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DMPHL
I'm not sure if AA is actually doing that, but what makes it a problem is that LFBUs are supposed to be offered, per AA policy, only after elite upgrades have been processed. If AA is selling LFBUs while elites are on the upgrade list, then that is absolutely something elites should be upset by. If AA wants to do that, then they should state officially that the policy has changed.
I read the post I was responding to as a general rant about selling upgrades to F. The poster took a comment about a possible IT glitch allowing Plat and PP upgrades to clear before EXP and spun it into a non-sequitur rant. No one was talking about LFBUs specifically (and the most likely explanation for any problem with the LFBU process currently is a IT glitch, not "screwing elites")

Anyway, we're drifting pretty far off topic now, and I've a flight to catch (sitting in the HND JAL First Lounge, on a JL business class redemption - certainly not feeling "screwed" by AA in any way) so I'll be leaving my commenting at that.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
Rather than an "IT glitch" I'd think it is AA selling upgrades at OLCI or at kiosks. The seats do not just disappear - AA upsells coach passengers. There are MANY threads out there on AA screwing its elites.
People have been making this claim on here for many years, but there's not been one shred of evidence presented to support it -- on the contrary, people in the know have repeated stated it's not the case.
JonNYC, controller1, DMPHL and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by rjw242

For what it's worth, I'm still clearing most upgrades, like always.
Same for me, EXP with 12-month rolling EQDs ~$55k. I've cleared 11 of 12 this year for my CLT-JFK or CLT-LGA flights. All my upgrades are happening at T100. The one flight that didn't clear was a LGA-CLT flight - I was #3 on the list; #1 & #2 cleared. That one made me wonder - how does a EXP with $55k rolling EQD end up #3 on the list?

There is a guy who often sits next to me, said he is clearing most of the time too and he is a PP.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by robertablake
Same for me, EXP with 12-month rolling EQDs ~$55k. I've cleared 11 of 12 this year for my CLT-JFK or CLT-LGA flights. All my upgrades are happening at T100. The one flight that didn't clear was a LGA-CLT flight - I was #3 on the list; #1 & #2 cleared. That one made me wonder - how does a EXP with $55k rolling EQD end up #3 on the list?

There is a guy who often sits next to me, said he is clearing most of the time too and he is a PP.
Could be two CKs. I have encountered a lot of CK recently, especially in JFK/LGA. EWR is still safe
robertablake likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I'd like to thank whoever fixed the glitch... my upgrade from OMA to DFW for Monday cleared at t-100 into a half-full first class cabin.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT

Curious how you aren't CK with that type of spend.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Curious how you aren't CK with that type of spend.
One of the great mysteries of AA - how they determine who becomes CK. But there is a whole other tread to ponder this question.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by rjw242
People have been making this claim on here for many years, but there's not been one shred of evidence presented to support it -- on the contrary, people in the know have repeated stated it's not the case.
My daughter who has no status has been offered 1 way upgrades when flying DFW-ORD when checking in on aa.com. Never at the kiosk, however.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
That one made me wonder - how does a EXP with $55k rolling EQD end up #3 on the list?
LAX to DFW and back Sun-Thu. I have seen CK in the back with a 60+ upgrade list on a 777 or 787. I tend to be 3 to 6, but some times as high as 10 on the list.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
I am EXP with 12,500 rolling EQD's So far since Jan 1 I am 15 of 16 on upgrades clearing. I hope it continues...
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gboots
I am EXP with 12,500 rolling EQD's So far since Jan 1 I am 15 of 16 on upgrades clearing. I hope it continues...
Which routes?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM Hilton Diamond Bon Voy Lifetime Platinum Elite
STL -CLT STL-PHX STL-ORD STL-DFW The only flight I haven't been upgraded on BDL-CLT
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
AA upgraded my son with no status

Flying back from LAX-SFO on 3-Feb eve. AA upgraded my son in advance (at T-??), who was on a separate PNR from me and using an award ticket. I had called EXP desk to request it while calling for another issue. Way to go AA!
I had no idea it was possible to upgrade a companion with stickers on a separate award ticket. Not a big deal on such a short flight, although my son is 6'4", so it was nice for him to be upfront on the E175.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.