Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Jacket Ruined - FA Spilled Wine Not Coming Out - Next Steps

Jacket Ruined - FA Spilled Wine Not Coming Out - Next Steps

Old Feb 7, 18, 7:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,007
Jacket Ruined - FA Spilled Wine Not Coming Out - Next Steps

I was on a AA flight from LHR-PHL flight a little over a week ago and as a flight attendant was carrying some some freshly opened bottles of wine up (in one those plastic carrying tubs) she tripped and and spilled the bottles of wine on me, I had a blanket over my lap but it hit my t-shirt, jacket and shoes (they were laying on the floor). It was a total accident and life happens so not complaining about that at all. We got things cleaned up the best we could and she gave me a piece of paper for cleaning to be paid for. The shoes cleaned up great, the t-shirt did not clean up very well and while it was not a cheap t-shirt it was older so it will be worn to mow the lawn but the jacket was only a couple of months old and after two trips to the cleaners they cant do any better and it will not completely come out.

So, I could have just contacted customer service or possibly Twitter folks but thought I would reach out here first as best steps to take next to get the jacket possibly replaced. Does anyone have any experience with similar situation? Any suggestions? I am inclined to just replace it and send receipts for jacket and cleaning to the address shown with a note but would definitely be curious if anyone has any suggestions or have been in a similar situation. Thanks!
mcgahat is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 8:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 1,484
<redacted>

If I were OP I would describe the situation briefly to customer relations for the compliant category. Maybe stress the jacket was close to new and is now almost useless, and hope for a reasonable compensation. No way AA would compensate for a brand new Berluti or Saint Laurent, but just wait and see.
JY1024 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 8, 18 at 12:37 am Reason: Redacted comment on previously deleted post content
andersonCooper is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 8:36 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Posts: 20,578
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
I was on a AA flight from LHR-PHL flight a little over a week ago and as a flight attendant was carrying some some freshly opened bottles of wine up (in one those plastic carrying tubs) she tripped and and spilled the bottles of wine on me, I had a blanket over my lap but it hit my t-shirt, jacket and shoes (they were laying on the floor). It was a total accident and life happens so not complaining about that at all. We got things cleaned up the best we could and she gave me a piece of paper for cleaning to be paid for. The shoes cleaned up great, the t-shirt did not clean up very well and while it was not a cheap t-shirt it was older so it will be worn to mow the lawn but the jacket was only a couple of months old and after two trips to the cleaners they cant do any better and it will not completely come out.

So, I could have just contacted customer service or possibly Twitter folks but thought I would reach out here first as best steps to take next to get the jacket possibly replaced. Does anyone have any experience with similar situation? Any suggestions? I am inclined to just replace it and send receipts for jacket and cleaning to the address shown with a note but would definitely be curious if anyone has any suggestions or have been in a similar situation. Thanks!
Send the receipt for the jacket and other information, and state exactly what you expect from them.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
The sarcasm in the replies is quite unnecessary.

If I were OP I would describe the situation briefly to customer relations for the compliant category. Maybe stress the jacket was close to new and is now almost useless, and hope for a reasonable compensation. No way AA would compensate for a brand new Berluti or Saint Laurent, but just wait and see.
If he had purchase one of those, why would they not be expected to pay to replace it, or at least most of the replacement cost, if you can prove you had purchased it just 2 months prior.
Their employee damaged it while working for them.
altabello and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 7, 18 at 9:44 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
mvoight is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 9:06 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: All of them, Katie
Posts: 223
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
I was on a AA flight from LHR-PHL flight a little over a week ago and as a flight attendant was carrying some some freshly opened bottles of wine up (in one those plastic carrying tubs) she tripped and and spilled the bottles of wine on me, I had a blanket over my lap but it hit my t-shirt, jacket and shoes (they were laying on the floor). It was a total accident and life happens so not complaining about that at all. We got things cleaned up the best we could and she gave me a piece of paper for cleaning to be paid for. The shoes cleaned up great, the t-shirt did not clean up very well and while it was not a cheap t-shirt it was older so it will be worn to mow the lawn but the jacket was only a couple of months old and after two trips to the cleaners they cant do any better and it will not completely come out.

So, I could have just contacted customer service or possibly Twitter folks but thought I would reach out here first as best steps to take next to get the jacket possibly replaced. Does anyone have any experience with similar situation? Any suggestions? I am inclined to just replace it and send receipts for jacket and cleaning to the address shown with a note but would definitely be curious if anyone has any suggestions or have been in a similar situation. Thanks!
Did you purchase the jacket with a credit card that has purchase protection? If so, you may still be in the coverage period for the jacket since it was a recent purchase. Dealing with the credit card claims people may be a lot easier than dealing with AA.
Aristophanes80 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 5:36 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,007
Originally Posted by Aristophanes80 View Post
Did you purchase the jacket with a credit card that has purchase protection? If so, you may still be in the coverage period for the jacket since it was a recent purchase. Dealing with the credit card claims people may be a lot easier than dealing with AA.
Good thought! I did just look at the terms of my Citi Prestige card and it looks like it is 120 days. I will hit them up this morning and see how that plays out first.

Here is the jacket before and after. The cleaners did a great job in my opinion and the stain doesnt show up very well in the after photo but basically a light stain remains. Is the jacket unwearable? No. Do I wan't to wear it like that, not really.


mcgahat is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:20 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: DCA/IAD/WAS
Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Posts: 2,007
Originally Posted by mcgahat View Post
Good thought! I did just look at the terms of my Citi Prestige card and it looks like it is 120 days. I will hit them up this morning and see how that plays out first.

Here is the jacket before and after. The cleaners did a great job in my opinion and the stain doesnt show up very well in the after photo but basically a light stain remains. Is the jacket unwearable? No. Do I wan't to wear it like that, not really.

<image dupes redacted>
That is too bad - it's times like these where I wonder what the point of dry cleaners are if they can't get stains out.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 8, 18 at 2:09 pm Reason: image dupes redacted
iadisgreat is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:58 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, USA
Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 939
If AA stopped serving cheap wines this would not have happened
flyalways is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 6:58 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
I would make the claim to CIti and also send a note to AA customer service in which you say that you are making a claim to Citi and will follow up if you are not covered. If the Citi claim takes a couple of weeks and is denied for whatever reason, you will be in a tough position making a claim to AA that far out.

Even if CIti does not pay, your standard travel insurance may cover this even though that's not why you purchased it.

There is no reason for AA not to pay the fair market value of the item, cheap or expensive. The key is "fair market value." A jacket costing $500 worn 10 times does not have a FMV of $500.
Often1 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:10 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Posts: 1,484
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
If he had purchase one of those, why would they not be expected to pay to replace it, or at least most of the replacement cost, if you can prove you had purchased it just 2 months prior.
Their employee damaged it while working for them.
Just trying to be realistic here. I don't believe AA would compensate a jacket priced at (sometimes more than) a TPAC J ticket. There is also a lot of room of argument for how much the fair value/replacement value is, as mentioned by Often1 above.

But the photos should help, if AA ever asks for evidence. I am with OP in that the jacket is useless now.
chrisny2 likes this.
andersonCooper is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:36 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Programs: ba executive, AA advantage,
Posts: 52
I would also check with my homeowners ins. You might be surprised sometimes what they will cover. I sometimes travel with competition shotguns and I know they are covered for damage during flights and or vehicle travel. It is just a phone call.
dm6214 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,108
Holy crap, mcgahat! That's just awful.


Is the jacket dry clean only? If not, and you get nowhere with Citi or AA, there are a couple things you can try on your own at home. May work, may not, but at least worth a shot if you're stuck with it as is.

1) There's a bar of soap called Fels-Naptha. It can work miracles on things you wouldn't think were going to come out. Apply liberally, even scrub with a toothbrush, and let it sit overnight. Then run it through the wash. Even if this can't be done and your coat is dry clean only, everyone should have a bar of this stuff around the house. It's a very excellent product.


2) Soak it in 7-UP.

3) Try oxy-clean, but that isn't going to be better than Fels-Naptha typically. However it may at least help.

4) Take liquid Tide and pour some onto the spots. Rub in really well, and let sit overnight. Same as #3 and not being better, but it may help.

5) Pour more wine on it and sell it off to wardrobe for The Walking Dead?
BearX220 likes this.
thunderlounge is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 8:21 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,007
Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
Holy crap, mcgahat! That's just awful.


Is the jacket dry clean only? If not, and you get nowhere with Citi or AA, there are a couple things you can try on your own at home. May work, may not, but at least worth a shot if you're stuck with it as is.

1) There's a bar of soap called Fels-Naptha. It can work miracles on things you wouldn't think were going to come out. Apply liberally, even scrub with a toothbrush, and let it sit overnight. Then run it through the wash. Even if this can't be done and your coat is dry clean only, everyone should have a bar of this stuff around the house. It's a very excellent product.


2) Soak it in 7-UP.

3) Try oxy-clean, but that isn't going to be better than Fels-Naptha typically. However it may at least help.

4) Take liquid Tide and pour some onto the spots. Rub in really well, and let sit overnight. Same as #3 and not being better, but it may help.

5) Pour more wine on it and sell it off to wardrobe for The Walking Dead?
Thanks for the info. I took it to a local cleaners (it is not dry clean only) and their first attempt did an ok job but still very visible and they said they wanted to give it another shot. They did and it was better but they said if they did anymore than they would ruin the color of the jacket. It isnt a very expensive jacket in the scheme of things, ~$120 Adidas jacket....really liked it though.

Thanks to all. I have submitted a claim with Citi and will see where that goes and let everyone know.

Life happens sometimes and while it sucked for me...I am sure it wasnt a good day for the flight attendant either. I didnt post a photo of the shirt it was just as bad as the jacked but luckily I had another shirt in my bag at least to change into. The plane dried out the wine in the shoes.
mcgahat is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 8:42 am
  #13  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,740
Originally Posted by dm6214 View Post
I would also check with my homeowners ins. You might be surprised sometimes what they will cover. I sometimes travel with competition shotguns and I know they are covered for damage during flights and or vehicle travel. It is just a phone call.
This would be an absolutely last-ditch effort. For a jacket that was damaged by AA and covered under your credit card: I would go to AA first as they're the one at fault. I'd do the card next (they might have caps on max benefits, so why chew into this if it's not your fault). Then lastly, I'd evaluate using homeowner's insurance. The deductible and/or increased premiums will affect you, which the other claims should not. And now that it's come out that it's a $120 jacket, I'd never do homeowner's. Just AA and/or the credit card.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 11:01 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 124
Holy Cow! That looks like you took a bath. I'm with IAH, I'd lead with a claim with AA that included the original dated purchase receipt and the photos. I'd find it very hard to believe they wouldn't pay for it right away.
danbrew is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 11:22 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Palm Beach/ New England
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,016
Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
Just trying to be realistic here. I don't believe AA would compensate a jacket priced at (sometimes more than) a TPAC J ticket. There is also a lot of room of argument for how much the fair value/replacement value is, as mentioned by Often1 above.
There is an expression in the insurance business, that you take the victims as they come. Irrelevant if you rear end a 300k Rolls Royce or a $1000 used Camry, the victim must be made whole.
fastflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: