Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta, USAir, Marriott, SPG, AmEx
Anyone know the cause of the delay of AA 352 / AA 1117 (LAX -> CLT -> LAX) ? It looks like the 777 is sitting at LAX but departure time keeps getting delayed. What was supposed to be a 4:45PM departure from Charlotte is now 11PM.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Aircraft Maintenance

Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip
Anyone know the cause of the delay of AA 352 / AA 1117 (LAX -> CLT -> LAX) ? It looks like the 777 is sitting at LAX but departure time keeps getting delayed. What was supposed to be a 4:45PM departure from Charlotte is now 11PM.

LAX 6:20a → CLT 1:53p Terminal 4

Gate 41
Gate A4 Scheduled AA 352

Reliability: 93% / 22m Depart Scheduled: 01/07/23 6:20a
Estimated: 01/07/23 2:00p Arrive Scheduled: 01/07/23 1:53p
Estimated: 01/07/23 9:33p
Baggage: E

Comments:

LAX 620A T4 41
CLT E A4 153P
3LAX/ETD1400 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE-E *1145
7LAX/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED *1205*CRCYMG
2CLT/PRE2133 *1145
James
Old Jan 7, 2023, 8:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
I’ve been looking up this flight every few hours. It pushed back from the gate about half an hour ago, taxied halfway to the runway, and turned right around. Pilot timeout, perhaps?

EDIT: Flight 1117 (CLT-LAX) just got delayed til 10am tomorrow (1/8).
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
I’ve been looking up this flight every few hours. It pushed back from the gate about half an hour ago, taxied halfway to the runway, and turned right around. Pilot timeout, perhaps?

EDIT: Flight 1117 (CLT-LAX) just got delayed til 10am tomorrow (1/8).
they finally cancelled it. I’m going thru DFW tomorrow. As long as I get there for the game on Monday!
wrp96 and FlyFreakquently like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:42 pm

they finally cancelled it. I’m going thru DFW tomorrow. As long as I get there for the game on Monday!
I'm guessing AA put you in a hotel in CLT? Were there any other options for today since the delay was announced so early?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:46 am

I'm guessing AA put you in a hotel in CLT? Were there any other options for today since the delay was announced so early?
I'm local to Charlotte so never even went over to the airport. I would have tried to get something else yesterday but they first delayed it until 8 or 9 pm which was ok. They didn't push it out to 2:30 AM and until around 5pm local when it was too late to get on anything else.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:32 pm

I'm local to Charlotte so never even went over to the airport. I would have tried to get something else yesterday but they first delayed it until 8 or 9 pm which was ok. They didn't push it out to 2:30 AM and until around 5pm local when it was too late to get on anything else.
Tough two days! Delayed 3 hours again! What's the story tonight?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:36 pm

Tough two days! Delayed 3 hours again! What's the story tonight?
flew thru DFW today. Plane was full of TCU fans and I was one of three Dawgs on the flight.
I’m coming back on tues in the 777 so will get to enjoy the lie flats (hopefully)
Old Jan 8, 2023, 7:41 pm

flew thru DFW today. Plane was full of TCU fans and I was one of three Dawgs on the flight.
I’m coming back on tues in the 777 so will get to enjoy the lie flats (hopefully)
Rights...forgot you said that. Good thing you went through DFW--it's 7 hours now!
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:24 pm

Anyone knows what happened to AA231 (LAX->OGG) on January 8? The flight departed LAX at the usual time but was diverted back to LAX 1.30 hours later. As a result, the next flight (AA2062, OGG->LAX) was delayed for almost 3 hours, causing many people to miss connection in LAX. I guess that it has to be something important, given that AA proactively gave 15,000 miles to everyone on AA2062 that day.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
AA/CX ticket, 160 ticket - Who is responsible for reroute?

Traveling tomorrow (Jan 28) ORD-BOS(AA)-HKG(CX)-BKK(CX) in Premium Economy.

Weather tomorrow will be rough in Chicago around departure time (anticipate 3-6" of snow, low visibility and gusty winds through the afternoon). If for some reason my AA flight is canceled, is AA responsible to rebook me or do I have to deal with CX. If they do rebook me, does it have to be same routing or can I go a different route/carrier? For Example, could I go ORD(BA)-LHR(BA)-HKG(CX)-BKK or ORD(BA)-LHR(CX)-HKG(CX)-BKK?

Trying to get contingencies mapped out just in case.
Old Jan 28, 2023, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
Traveling tomorrow (Jan 28) ORD-BOS(AA)-HKG(CX)-BKK(CX) in Premium Economy.

Weather tomorrow will be rough in Chicago around departure time (anticipate 3-6" of snow, low visibility and gusty winds through the afternoon). If for some reason my AA flight is canceled, is AA responsible to rebook me or do I have to deal with CX. If they do rebook me, does it have to be same routing or can I go a different route/carrier? For Example, could I go ORD(BA)-LHR(BA)-HKG(CX)-BKK or ORD(BA)-LHR(CX)-HKG(CX)-BKK?

Trying to get contingencies mapped out just in case.
You would deal with AA for rerouting/rebooking as they would be the carrier responsible for you missing your onward flights. In day of rebooking, no you are not limited to same routing. AA will try to keep you on their own flights or oneworld flights, but if there is no availability on those airlines, then don't be afraid to ask for rerouting on carriers outside of the alliance (worst they can do is say no).
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
AA194 (PHX-LHR) diverted

Just landed in DFW on a different flight and noticed N795AN at the next gate in the A terminal. Confused as to where a 772 would be going at this time... It's AA194.

per EF
DTE CHNG FLT☨ ORIG 29JAN
PHX 515P B25
DFW A28 A A23 837P 1008P A24
LHR ☨ 1000A
3PHX/ETD1716 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE-E *1717
4PHX/OUT1710 OFF1735 *1835
3DFW/ETD2208 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE-E *1717
2DFW/IN2035 *2039
1LHR/OVR LHR TO DFW PRE2038 MTR-DELAY DUE TO A/C MAINTENANCE-E *1711
2LHR/PRE1343 *1717
If you look at the flight path per flight aware, it takes an entirely lateral route from Phoenix to Dallas not going up in a polar route whatsoever.

Was this a planned diversion? Why would the aicraft take that route from the get go vs returning to PHX?
​​​​​​https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL194/history/20230130/0025Z/KPHX/KDFW

Appears that the filed route was southern KPHX ECLPS1 PHASE BGS GEEKY SOCKK4 KDFW

Last edited by Antarius; Jan 29, 2023 at 9:16 pm
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Yes, it was definitely pre-planned. There must have been a maintenance issue required for overwater operations. Perhaps the part was available at DFW.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by formeraa
Yes, it was definitely pre-planned. There must have been a maintenance issue required for overwater operations. Perhaps the part was available at DFW.
Makes sense.

Aircraft is still here with rolling delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.