Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the 2017 ARCHIVE thread, here

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

ARCHIVE: 2016 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. (consolidated)[/B].
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2018 IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Everything is icy around but AA won't budge on the phone for a change on a basic econ. fare to later in the PM . Any chance this will update overnight? https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp

Better luck on twitter etc? Most other carriers are allowing changes...

If not can we try our luck calling in just before using "flat tire" rule The Flat Tire Rule | The Tarmac

Winter weather - Texas

Information current as of January 16, 2018

If you’re traveling to/through/from:
  • Austin, Texas (AUS)
  • Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas (DFW)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontental, Houston, Texas (IAH)
  • Houston Hobby, Houston, Texas (HOU)
  • San Antonio, Texas (SAT)
The change fee may be waived if you:
  • Are traveling on an American Airlines flight
  • Bought your ticket by January 15, 2018
  • Are scheduled to travel January 16, 2018
  • Can travel January 15 - 20, 2018

The current thread may be read here.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 3, 2019 at 3:59 pm Reason: Format - add moderator note
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:59 pm

You're flying on a basic economy (B) fare, which is extraordinary restrictive anyway. NO changes. You will not be able to make a change unless the waiver is updated to include tomorrow. At the moment, it doesn't. And if it does change, you will need B inventory to be available on the flight you wish to change to.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
You're going to be out of luck. The waivers for all airports in Texas expired on the 16th and will likely not get renewed. Further, as you are on a basic economy ticket, you're going to be out of luck if you try for a 'flat tire' exception. Outside of waivers, the rule on basic economy tickets is very simple: no changes at all. If you miss the flight, you are invited to purchase yourself a new ticket at whatever the current rate is for a later one. Find a way to get to the airport on time or be ready to swipe the credit card.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:30 am

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not, but here goes:

Still stuck on the tarmac after 2 hours. I had a confirmed sticker upgrade to first from DFW to GJT. But with the delay I've missed all connecting flights except the last one now, which leaves 3 hours later but goes through PHX. So am I out my $80 and upgrade now? There's like 1 seat left in first from DFW to PHX, but the aa app won't let me rebook and aa thinks we left at 12:15 and we didn't even push push back until like 1:00.
Can't call on the plane, so am limited to Twitter or email.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by hurnik
Not sure if this is the correct thread or not, but here goes:

Still stuck on the tarmac after 2 hours. I had a confirmed sticker upgrade to first from DFW to GJT. But with the delay I've missed all connecting flights except the last one now, which leaves 3 hours later but goes through PHX. So am I out my $80 and upgrade now? There's like 1 seat left in first from DFW to PHX, but the aa app won't let me rebook and aa thinks we left at 12:15 and we didn't even push push back until like 1:00.
Can't call on the plane, so am limited to Twitter or email.
How did this work out? If you didn't make the original flight, then the upgrades shouldn't be deducted - but if you paid for the upgrades, that's not refundable, but you'll have them in your account for a future flight. Also, why couldn't you call? When I have had an extended tarmac delay on AA - parked and engines off - the crew usually advises that phone use is permitted.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by swag
How did this work out? If you didn't make the original flight, then the upgrades shouldn't be deducted - but if you paid for the upgrades, that's not refundable, but you'll have them in your account for a future flight. Also, why couldn't you call? When I have had an extended tarmac delay on AA - parked and engines off - the crew usually advises that phone use is permitted.
Well not so well:

I had the confirmed upgrade, then bought the upgrade stickers, so they did get deducted. Since I missed all other connections (except for the last one from DFW to PHX) I lost the upgrade and essentially the $80 (they re-deposit the stickers but my status expires in 15 days so I essentially flushed $80 down the toilet).

The CLT flight crew was horrible, IMO.
We didn't see them until 2 hours after being on the tarmac when they finally handed out water and a biscoff. Then they disappeared in the back again (reading the whole time). My favorite was the next hour on the tarmac without AC (they shut the engines down or whatever during de-icing). Nobody ever announced we could use our cell phones (they told us initially the whole, blah blah, tray tables upright, everything in airplane mode, blah blah blah). Saw the flight crew once more for the regular drink/pretzel service and that was it for the next couple hours.

My next disaster was in DFW where they delayed the flight by over an hour because of construction at PHX (apparently AA has known about this for a month but doesn't do anything about it for scheduling). We were told in no uncertain terms (those of us traveling to Yuma or Grand Junction) that AA would not:
a) interline us to another airline (not that it mattered because all other flights were gone for the day)
b) pay for a hotel if we chose to overnight at DFW
c) pay for a hotel/meals if we overnighted in PHX due to the missed connection there

Why? Because it wasn't their fault.

We did eventually make it into Grand Junction at 10:50 or thereabouts (should've been there at 4: p.m.)

I guess I learned my lesson. Don't bother buying sticker upgrades, unless you have spare cash to flush down the toilet.

Scares me what'll happen with my award ticket in First Class to OGG in 2 week if anything goes awry.

I'll have to fight with them for the refund on my MCE seats as well because when they rebooked me on DFW to PHX they put me in regular economy.
Same for GJT.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For some good news, AA and DL have restored their interline agreement. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-2018-a.html
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I booked SNA-PHX-MCO in economy. PHX-MCO complimentary upgrade cleared a few days prior to departure. SNA-PHX did not clear.

Woke up on day of flight to an AA app push notification offering Dynamic Reaccom due to a delayed SNA-PHX. AA's app offered instead SNA-DFW-MCO, both legs in domestic F. That worked out really nicely!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:25 am

Hello. I am in Philadelphia airport. American flight 4842 to Memphis on Friday February 16 is delayed. Original aircraft is broke and have a tail and gate swap. At the new gate now waiting for the spare aircraft coming from the hanger. The original schedule departure time was 08:35. The times have been changed so far 3 times, 09:05, 09:20, 09:30. It will change again because the spare aircraft is still not here. At what point would you write to customer service to complain and get some miles? Plus 2 hours, 3 hours, or more delayed? Also how long does it usually take to cancel a flight if they do decide to cancel? Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
DEN-CLT-MHT today destroyed by first leg DEN-CLT delayed three hours due to "crew rest." Apparently AA has zero backup crew in DEN. Now DEN-CLT-BOS, with $80 additional for rental car out of BOS. I believe I am destined never to fly into MHT.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Apparently AA has zero backup crew in DEN.
Would you expect them to?
Should they have backup crew in MHT as well?

Going to go out on a limb and suggest that the odds of AA having backup crew available to avoid a 3 hour delay at an outstation are about as likely as DL & UA do in PHX, CLT, DFW...
Old Jul 5, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cedric
Would you expect them to?
Should they have backup crew in MHT as well?

Going to go out on a limb and suggest that the odds of AA having backup crew available to avoid a 3 hour delay at an outstation are about as likely as DL & UA do in PHX, CLT, DFW...
Yep, I do think it's not beyond the realm of possibility for a major airline to have contingency plans of some type for the first flight of the morning at a major airport where they are 4th in market share.(Wouldn't expect them to have such in MHT, all of your snark aside.) But in 2018, when everything has been pared to bare minimum, it only takes one hiccup to throw off a schedule. And it happens more and more often with each passing month.

So I may have to go back to UA <shudder>.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Remember that airlines operate with crew bases, and American simply does not have a crew base at DEN. In addition, American may be #4 at DEN, but still only has 5.5% of the market share.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
So I may have to go back to UA <shudder>.
UA certainly has a crew base at DEN - however unless you are flying to another UA hub, you're just as likely to run into a similar problem returning from your destination.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Does AA allow canceling for a voucher/eVoucher without penalty if it's a schedule change? In my case, the schedule change is ~7 hours.

Last edited by diburning; Jul 9, 2018 at 5:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.