Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 17, 19, 3:20 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.
(OSO / Off Schedule Operations, System IROPS / Irregular Operations, Weather, etc. affecting AA flyers)

Please expand and read this wiki for resources; see links below to critical IROPS resources.
NOTE: Though many in the forum use "IRROPS", the correct airline term is "IROPS".

"When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee." (aa.com)

Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies

How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links

Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We need verification this number is still in service)

AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.446.7834 For those flying AA currently.

(Equivalent IROPS for US was the Disrupted Services line: 800.200.9865)

(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.)
Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays

Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now

Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FlightAware "Misery Map")

Link to USA Weather Service website

Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.

Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)

Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread

Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.

For FlyerTalk Glossary, select "Help" menu at top of page, select "Glossary"

Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations

Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:

Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online.

Look up your trip

Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us
 Within the U.S.

Language            Phone	Hours (CT)
 English	800-433-7300	24 hours, Daily
 Spanish	800-633-3711	24 hours, Daily
 Japanese	800-237-0027	6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Mandarin	800-492-8095	7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
 Portuguese	866-824-8717	6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
 Hearing &	800-543-1586	24 hours, Daily
 speech impaired
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.

From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ

Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?

Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)

AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?

See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?

Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.

A. If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues

NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.

Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.

Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.

Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here

Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 07, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Please use this thread to access AA travel policy and resources or OSO, IROPS and other travel disruptions and to discuss the same, announce new sources of disruption such as weather systems, etc. affecting American Airlines and subsidiary operated flights.

Please note we intend to keep this thread current and useful; posts no longer relevant to current OSO issues will be regularly archived.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO / IROPS* issues to be listed. Older posts can be seen in the current ARCHIVE thread of the same title.

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in this year’s Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated) thread.

The wikipost there contains all information previously in this post.

May your flights be uncomplicated and on time.

Thank you, American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator Team

*Though many of us use "IRROPS", the proper term as used in airline terminology and files is IROPS (or OSO).

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 19 at 10:44 am Reason: Update
Old Jan 22, 16, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

AA allowing limited self-reaccommodation in IROPS / OSO

As quoted by Gary Leff in View From the Boarding Area (30 Sep 2017) JonNYC has publicized AA now allows self-reaccommodation in OSO / IROPS Conditions. LINK

The feature is called "Dynamic Reaccom" and allows affected passengers who have opted in to flight notifications to self-book alternate flights - ONCE - using the app, website or kiosk, to other AA / Eagle flights.

Once a flight has been cancelled, a passenger would receive a message similar to “AA 412 was cancelled. You can choose between the following flights.” Available flights would then follow. Link to article 1 Oct 2017 by Paul Riegler, Frequent Business Traveler.
Using the Dynamic Reaccommodation tool will reveal alternate flights (eventually including alternate and co-terminal airports within 50 miles) in your class of service or lower you can select - ONCE. (Once your "SSR" designation has been corrected by rerouting, it's gone. Further changes must be done by phone or at a counter.)

Your ticket will be renewed immediately, and if you're within the chosen flight's check-in window you'll be able to do that even as your checked bags are automatically redirected. If you've chosen a lower class of service, the refund will also be processed automatically.

There are categories of people who won't be able to do that - those with cabin or checked pets, on awards, on multiple airlines, etc. See the linked article for further details.

Link to FT thread about this feature.

See the graphic below for detailed policy.
Attached Images  
JonNYC likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 2, 17 at 10:58 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 19, 17, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Placeholder

The wiki post there contains all information from this wiki post. Please post and read about the mid-Atlantic seaboard and Northeast OSO in that thread.

Thank you, American Airlines | AAdvantage Moderator team

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 30, 17 at 11:20 am Reason: Reserved for future use
Old May 5, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1WS, CX Silver, HH Gold, Caesars Diamond
Thank goodness for the ground staff for helping us with a ridiculous delay out of PHL to DFW on flight AA2562 today. We backed away from the gate and on the tarmac they realized there was a problem with one of the doors (I'll take that on the ground any day over in the air). That said, be careful which AC/OW lounge front-desker you get. One of them rebooked us without our permission on some garbage connecting flight through MEM and I had to run out to gate A17 and have a GA rescue us and undo the damage the lounge agent did. Outside the lounge agent, it was impressive to see those that knew what they were doing come together to help out. Been up since 2:45am ET, so not in the cheeriest of moods now. Our flight leaves at 5pm ET from the original 10:45am departure time so at least trip insurance has kicked in. Momma needs a new pare of shoes.
Old May 8, 19, 7:33 pm

DFW was a bit of a mess today with the storms.

Was on a direct to CLT which cancelled 4 hours out. Re-routed to CLT via ORD, as soon as I changed, that flagged a 2.5 hour delay. Spoke to the PPRO line, got moved into CLT via LIT. After having a coffee, that then showed a 90 minute delay, so changed in app to CLT via MEM. That was going well until the inbound plane diverted. Gate and equipment change and got out 30 mins or so delayed. Quick dash across MEM and I ended up back in CLT only a couple of hours later than planned.

The gate agent and the phone agent we’re both very helpful.

So 1 wrong bus (I auto pilot’d to A gate bus), 3 terminals, 4 itineraries, 1 gate and equipment change, and all’s well that ends well.
wrp96 and enpremiere like this.
Old May 10, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP
Maintenance delay on 592 DEN-CLT today. Apparently whatever the problem is didnt show up until they started the plane this morning for the 5:50am flight. They wont tell us what the problem is (even AC AAngels cant find out). All they say is they will make a decision at 8am as to whether it can even be fixed. Just ranting...got up at 2am for no reason.
Old May 24, 19, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA plat, SQ KF Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
So much fun earlier this week on AA165 PHL to LAX on 5/22, planned 8:45pm departure

- Boarded, then sat on plane for 2h
- maintenance issue, we are all asked to leave the plane.
- told to go to a new gate, for a new plane. At this time it’s 11pm and PHL is almost shut
- at new gate they tell us your new plane is here, we are loading the luggage and need to find people to clean the plane, then we can depart
- they say they need to find a cleaning crew, so we wait an hour or so
- plane is clean, but only now they realize they don’t have any pilots to fly the plane. Who knew?
- departure officially delayed to 6am, on the app and announced at the gate.
- AA won’t provide any hotels, but tell us we are free to leave, and be back at 5:30am for boarding
- I book my own hotel and leave the airport. When I get to the hotel, at around 0:30am, I see a note on my phone and the AA app that my departure in now at 2am
- I call AA, they tell me they also see 2am, but they think it’s a typo! They put me on hold for 15 min and come back to tell me the flight is DEFINTELY departing at 6am, but no one is around to change the typo in the app! App still says 2am.
- I can’t do anything else, so I check into hotel and try to sleep.
- one hour later I check my phone one last time and now the flight is canceled! No rebooking options on the app, other than indirect flights to Ontario (original destination was LAX)
- call AA and somehow they manage to find me a direct flight the next day

Old May 25, 19, 6:50 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro, UA ex-?; Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), Hyatt ex-?
Originally Posted by silvergirl View Post
So much fun earlier this week on AA165 PHL to LAX on 5/22, planned 8:45pm departure

- Boarded, then sat on plane for 2h
- maintenance issue, we are all asked to leave the plane.
- told to go to a new gate, for a new plane. At this time it’s 11pm and PHL is almost shut
- at new gate they tell us your new plane is here, we are loading the luggage and need to find people to clean the plane, then we can depart
- they say they need to find a cleaning crew, so we wait an hour or so
- plane is clean, but only now they realize they don’t have any pilots to fly the plane. Who knew?
- departure officially delayed to 6am, on the app and announced at the gate.
- AA won’t provide any hotels, but tell us we are free to leave, and be back at 5:30am for boarding
- I book my own hotel and leave the airport. When I get to the hotel, at around 0:30am, I see a note on my phone and the AA app that my departure in now at 2am
- I call AA, they tell me they also see 2am, but they think it’s a typo! They put me on hold for 15 min and come back to tell me the flight is DEFINTELY departing at 6am, but no one is around to change the typo in the app! App still says 2am.
- I can’t do anything else, so I check into hotel and try to sleep.
- one hour later I check my phone one last time and now the flight is canceled! No rebooking options on the app, other than indirect flights to Ontario (original destination was LAX)
- call AA and somehow they manage to find me a direct flight the next day
What was AA justification for not providing a hotel room? It sounds like maintenance or crew issue so they should have provided a hotel I think.

I had a similar issue with a flight from MIA to SFO a while back (late last year - late November or early December) although the later departure announced at the gate was like 11 PM rather than 6 AM. The screens had an earlier departure that kept moving about an hour at a time toward 11 PM. I think Flight Aware also said 11 PM but I'm not sure of that. The issue turned out to be pilot rest and the pilots were at a hotel and due back for the 11 PM departure, but the left hand of AA did not know that the right hand of AA had sent the pilots to a hotel. At least my flight left even if it was 8 hours or so late.
Old May 25, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Originally Posted by stc View Post
What was AA justification for not providing a hotel room? It sounds like maintenance or crew issue so they should have provided a hotel I think.
Probably because the flight was merely delayed at the time and not cancelled.
Old May 25, 19, 7:32 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro, UA ex-?; Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), Hyatt ex-?
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Probably because the flight was merely delayed at the time and not cancelled.
Good point. On the other hand, I've had AA offer a hotel room back in the day when a morning BOS-LHR flight was delayed to the evening due to mechanical. I guess times change.
Old May 25, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: AA plat, SQ KF Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by stc View Post
Good point. On the other hand, I've had AA offer a hotel room back in the day when a morning BOS-LHR flight was delayed to the evening due to mechanical. I guess times change.
Yeah,as soon as they announced the 6am departure we all asked for hotels. They first tried to say that “there is no point anyways, you have to board again at 5:30, so you need to be at security at 4:30am.”. Then they said there were not enough hotel rooms, and they would only provide them to people who had an indirect flight, who had flown into PHL from somewhere else. Of course everyone tried to speak with them and a long line formed to speak with the one gate agent (the rest of the airport was pretty much closed by then).
At that point, I couldn’t face waiting another hour or so, and it didn’t look like I would get a room from them anyways, so I just went ahead and booked my own room in order to get at least a little sleep (there were plenty of hotel rooms available nearby).
I’ve logged a complaint with AA about it, so we’ll see.
Old May 25, 19, 8:24 am
QBK

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.89MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, Avis PC, National EE
Hello Knowers-of-AA!

I usually frequent the UA forum, but I suddenly have a technical question about AA irops policy and would love some expert advice.

TL;DR: If I have an AA round trip, and the outbound flight goes WX and AA offers reaccomodation getting in 19 hours late, am I entitled to cancel and refund the outbound and make my own separate arrangements (while keeping the return)?

DETAILS: My wife and daughter were booked on a r/t AA ticket (G fare) from SYR-ABQ, connecting through ORD both ways. Scheduled departure from SYR Friday evening around 6pm (last flight of the day for both SYR-ORD and ORD-ABQ), scheduled to arrive in ABQ at 10pm Friday.

The inbound a/c was delayed 2 hours by weather. When it became clear they had no chance to make their connection, my wife started asking the GA for rebooking options. The best offer was the next day (Saturday) SYR-ORD-DFW-ABQ, arriving around 5pm (19 hours late). She would have missed a scheduled 1:30pm meeting. So I told her to have the GA cancel and refund the SYR-ABQ leg, and I booked her a UA award ticket on Saturday morning that gets in at 12:25pm. [Grumpy but irrelevant note: That UA flight had 9+ seats available in every class, but AA refused to rebook them on it.]

The GA canceled the outbound, but then said "You can't have a refund -- this is a nonrefundable ticket." Note: it's a regular economy ticket, not basic economy.

Based on my experience with UA's COC and policies, I expected that when a flight delay for any reason including WX causes a misconnect and a 19-hour delay that is out of the passenger's control, the passenger is entitled to cancel and refund, even on normal non-refundable tickets. Am I wrong? Or was the GA misinformed? If I'm correct, can anybody point me to AA's policy on this, so I have something to go by when I call in and request a refund? (If I'm wrong, I guess I'm just sadder, poorer, and wiser.)
Old May 28, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA PRO, AS MVP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Hey everyone, thanks in advance. I’m flying LGA-DFW-SYD on an F award tomorrow. All the storms in the forecast for the DFW area are starting to spook me on my chances of landing in time to make my connection.

If I misconnect at DFW due to being held on the ground at LGA for too long, should I put my foot down about AA reaccom’ing me on the followings day’s QF8/QF12 provided there are enough seats for sale in F? Or because QF is not a JBA partner is it highly unlikely for me to be reaccom’ed that way and I should cave to whatever they can offer in J (probably AA125 via HKG or AA72)? Flying first is very important to me as this is a very special occasion, so I would really like to fly the class of service I purchased.
Old May 29, 19, 7:33 am

Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by perkerkeem View Post
Hey everyone, thanks in advance. I’m flying LGA-DFW-SYD on an F award tomorrow. All the storms in the forecast for the DFW area are starting to spook me on my chances of landing in time to make my connection.

If I misconnect at DFW due to being held on the ground at LGA for too long, should I put my foot down about AA reaccom’ing me on the followings day’s QF8/QF12 provided there are enough seats for sale in F? Or because QF is not a JBA partner is it highly unlikely for me to be reaccom’ed that way and I should cave to whatever they can offer in J (probably AA125 via HKG or AA72)? Flying first is very important to me as this is a very special occasion, so I would really like to fly the class of service I purchased.
If the bad weather delays your DFW arrival, your departure flight would likely be delayed for the same reason; cancellation, on the other hand, would be a problem. What time is your scheduled DFW arrival? Have you heard anything since posting this?

I am in a similar boat. I'm scheduled to arrive in DFW from TPA at 8PM, continuing on to Tokyo tomorrow afternoon (the joys of flying on a SAAver ticket). All in Biz. So I can handle a substantial delay, but a cancellation could still be a problem. I tried to be proactive and asked now for rerouting though ORD, leaving tomorrow AM and arriving in Tokyo about the same time, which appears to have Biz seats both legs. ORD-NRT is JL-operated, though. So with the the JL + award problem, I got the expected "no can do without extra miles unless/until cancellation actually happens".

UPDATE: Previous call got through almost immediately. I just got the expected alert, and just like that there's a "2+ hour" wait on the phone line. As far as I can tell on FlightView, AA has ~50% cancellation on domestic flights scheduled to arrive at DFW ~1600, and the 1540 arrival from TPA is cancelled as well; and AA claims the 1534 TPA-DFW departure is still scheduled. And plenty of other airlines seem to be mostly uncancelled. Best option I have in TPA-DFW in the AM, but Econ. So I just don't know what to do.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; May 29, 19 at 10:54 am Reason: update
Old May 29, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: AA PRO, AS MVP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum View Post
If the bad weather delays your DFW arrival, your departure flight would likely be delayed for the same reason; cancellation, on the other hand, would be a problem. What time is your scheduled DFW arrival? Have you heard anything since posting this?

I am in a similar boat. I'm scheduled to arrive in DFW from TPA at 8PM, continuing on to Tokyo tomorrow afternoon (the joys of flying on a SAAver ticket). All in Biz. So I can handle a substantial delay, but a cancellation could still be a problem. I tried to be proactive and asked now for rerouting though ORD, leaving tomorrow AM and arriving in Tokyo about the same time, which appears to have Biz seats both legs. ORD-NRT is JL-operated, though. So with the the JL + award problem, I got the expected "no can do without extra miles unless/until cancellation actually happens".
Most of the LGA-DFW flights have been cancelled so far and they just now put in the travel alert for DFW, so now it's a 2 hour wait for PLTs to get a hold of reservations. I'm still scheduled on time but trying to get a hold of AA to see if they will reaccom me on Cathay via HKG given the waiver.

I'm worried that the QF12 flight departs late at night when the storm passes and if they just cancel all the LGA-DFW flights until the morning I'll miss it. Good luck to you! Will report back if I can get them to move me to JFK-HKG-AKL in F

Search this Thread