Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
ATCSCC ADVZY 058 DFW/ZFW 11/11/2022 CDM GROUND STOPMESSAGE:
CTL ELEMENT: DFW
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1706Z
GROUND STOP PERIOD: 11/1651Z - 11/1830Z
DEP FACILITIES INCLUDED: (Manual) ZLA ZAU ZLC ZTL ZDC ZNY ZHU ZJX ZFW
ZOB ZDV ZOA ZSE ZBW ZMA ZKC ZME ZID ZAB ZMP CYYJ CYVR CYLW CYYC
CYEG CYTZ CYYZ CYOW CYUL CYQB CYHZ
PREVIOUS TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 4428 / 98 / 34
NEW TOTAL, MAXIMUM, AVERAGE DELAYS: 11219 / 158 / 85
PROBABILITY OF EXTENSION: MEDIUM
IMPACTING CONDITION: OTHER / OTHER
COMMENTS: FUEL SYSTEM CURRENTLY OFFLINE. FOR THOSE FLIGHTS THAT DO
NOT NEED TO ADD FUEL AT DFW, CONTACT TCA HELPDESK FOR EXEMPTION FROM
THE GROUND STOP. EFFECTIVE TIME:
111707 - 111930
Old Nov 28, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
AA 141 Nov 28

AA 141 lhr-jfk on Nov 28.
scheduled 7.15pm
delayed to Nov 29 (!!!) 9.30am

what caused the delay?
(called AA exp line, and my itinerary MAD-LHR-JFK got changed to MAD-JFK on IB).
Old Nov 29, 2022, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Acidity
Diverted due to medical emergency, then delayed due to crew rest.
I was on this flight - they didn't give us much information but it seemed like a pretty serious medical emergency. Having to return to LAX from SEA after the diversion for a new crew was frustrating and makes me reconsider whether to fly AA with its one west coast base in the future (had I been on Delta, we probably could have gotten a new crew in SEA). We ended up waiting on the ground at SEA for 2+hours and then 2 more hours at LAX.

Ended up taking us 25 hours - LAX-diversion-SEA-LAX-HND. On the second attempt, they only catered cold meals (and no special meals).
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:10 am
Suspended

NYC travel advisory: December 2

There is a NYC travel advisory for today, I'd guess due to rain and high winds.

So many times when there is a travel advisory, flights end up on time anyway, so I'm reluctant to change my travel plans (in this case, to take Amtrak instead of AA).

I have a 2-segment flight today from JFK, with a 2 1/2 hour layover at the connecting airport. As long as I get to my final destination (the Southeast) on time, I don't care if my flight from JFK is delayed.

NYC travelers, are you changing your tickets for flights from NYC today due to the advisory?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
NYC travelers, are you changing your tickets for flights from NYC today due to the advisory?

Thanks!
Nope. I have a non-changeable, non-refundable ferry on the other end today. Safe and drama-free travels!
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Noticed my flight into CLT tomorrow morning is delayed. (Clt-vps-CLT) Equipment for the flight already landed in CLT. Looked at flight aware and they posted clt is having a departure delay of 1
plus hours and increasing (this would be 12:30
at night) Looked at NOAA and it appears there is some heavy fog but official clt accounts and webpage are just showing 15 minute taxing delays. Is it just a
case of the flight crew was delayed coming into Charlotte by the fog and needs mandatory rest before the 8am flight? I would think if it was the plane they would have the ability to get a backup seeing as clt is a hub. If it was weather the fog could lift by the am as well so it just seems odd they would delay a flight 10 hours ahead of time unless they knew for sure it wasn’t going to take off on time.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 1:54 pm

SAN - ORD 4:30 delay due to no captain, which the GAs originally admitted to (and is mirrored in EF) but after a few minutes it changed to “due to a variety of factors.”

GAs pushed everyone to the check in counters and helped not at all. App was initially completely useless as it said there were no flights available for today. Over a few minutes it started to show flights for tomorrow the some poor alternatives for either overnight or very late night appeared.

Chat gave canned answers only, I’m sure that was a chat bot but one might think at least some priority/proactive actions could take place even on chat.

Bottom line, poor customer service. All of the offered alternatives get me back home later than with the delay taken into account.

Throughout all of this, somehow I have even managed to drop down on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:41 pm

I was flying in premium economy on AA 38, MIA to LHR -- originally scheduled for Nov 30, with departure of 8:23 PM.

Around 8:40 PM, we were told there was a jet bridge problem. Then around 9 PM, we were told there was a radio problem.
We left gate around 10 PM, and after taxiing for a few minutes (not far from gate, did not even make the turn after starting), we were told that there was a computer problem.
Around 11 PM, we were asked to get off the aircraft and told to wait near gate, and that they were checking on an alternative aircraft.
Around 00:30 AM on Dec 1, we were told that the flight would only be at 5:30 PM on Dec 1 and asked to come back.
Around 1:30 AM, I got my hotel voucher - but was told I have to pay for uber to hotel (about 15 miles away) and claim reimbursement from AA.
(Reached Hampton Inn at Aventura around 2 AM, and a buzzing noise kept me from sleeping - barely slept for about an hour or so.)

So, my uber trips to hotel and back to airport the next day were around $90.
AA website appears useless in trying to figure out which link I should use.
Any help on how I can claim my uber fares (with a link!) would be appreciated!

(By the way, we boarded starting from 4:45 PM on Dec 1, but another issue -- related to fuelling -- meant we departed only at 6:45 PM on Dec 1.
So total delay of 22+ hours.)

Also, would you ask for anything more than reimbursement - what works in such a situation?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by raghu
I was flying in premium economy on AA 38, MIA to LHR -- originally scheduled for Nov 30, with departure of 8:23 PM.

Around 8:40 PM, we were told there was a jet bridge problem. Then around 9 PM, we were told there was a radio problem.
We left gate around 10 PM, and after taxiing for a few minutes (not far from gate, did not even make the turn after starting), we were told that there was a computer problem.
Around 11 PM, we were asked to get off the aircraft and told to wait near gate, and that they were checking on an alternative aircraft.
Around 00:30 AM on Dec 1, we were told that the flight would only be at 5:30 PM on Dec 1 and asked to come back.
Around 1:30 AM, I got my hotel voucher - but was told I have to pay for uber to hotel (about 15 miles away) and claim reimbursement from AA.
(Reached Hampton Inn at Aventura around 2 AM, and a buzzing noise kept me from sleeping - barely slept for about an hour or so.)

So, my uber trips to hotel and back to airport the next day were around $90.
AA website appears useless in trying to figure out which link I should use.
Any help on how I can claim my uber fares (with a link!) would be appreciated!

(By the way, we boarded starting from 4:45 PM on Dec 1, but another issue -- related to fuelling -- meant we departed only at 6:45 PM on Dec 1.
So total delay of 22+ hours.)

Also, would you ask for anything more than reimbursement - what works in such a situation?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry you went through all of that. I would submit an email complaint and attach the Uber receipts here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...er-service.jsp. You might want to combine the Uber receipts in one file, though. I'd definitely note in the complaint that you were told explicitly by the airport staff to ask for reimbursement. This should help strengthen your case.

As for asking for additional compensation above the Uber reimbursements, I would. Seems like mechanical issues hit your flights, and AA should make it right, IMHO.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The weather forecast is looking like a storm (/very cold weather) could hit the northeast US later this week.

I would guess there are a LOT of people planning to travel for the weekend and that using a travel waiver to push a flight out by a day or two to miss the weather is probably not a very suitable solution.

What are your thoughts on whether AA will put out a weather waiver in the next day (Tues) or so to ease the demand later in the week?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
The weather forecast is looking like a storm (/very cold weather) could hit the northeast US later this week.

I would guess there are a LOT of people planning to travel for the weekend and that using a travel waiver to push a flight out by a day or two to miss the weather is probably not a very suitable solution.

What are your thoughts on whether AA will put out a weather waiver in the next day (Tues) or so to ease the demand later in the week?
I interestingly just got an email for a trip on Friday from DCA that said "Winter weather conditions may affect your upcoming travel plans" - but when I clicked through to the travel alerts page, no waiver was listed from DCA.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcmike
I interestingly just got an email for a trip on Friday from DCA that said "Winter weather conditions may affect your upcoming travel plans" - but when I clicked through to the travel alerts page, no waiver was listed from DCA.
Looks like a waiver just kicked in.
dcmike likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: QF
Flying through DFW friday, how do they go with the low temps predicted?
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Looks like a waiver just kicked in.
Thank you! Just changed my flight to Thursday.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jrfsp320
Flying through DFW friday, how do they go with the low temps predicted?
As they say, everything's bigger in Texas.

That can also include cold weather related meltdowns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.