Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Travel Notices and Policy, Resources etc.

What do the technical terms noted in the thread's title mean?

OSO = Off Schedule Operations,
System IROPS or IRROPS = Irregular Operations such as flight delays and/or cancellations

When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee.
Link to AA PDF "Schedule Irregularity (IROPS) - Travel Agency Guidelines – 001 and 037 tickets"

As of 30 Sep 2017, if you are affected by OSO / IROPS you may be able to rebook yourself using "Dynamic Reaccom" the AA app, a kiosk or on AA.com. See this post for further information.

NOTE: This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed. Older posts from 2018 have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, delay, cancelation etc. resources for 2018

Posts pertaining to delays and cancellations go in Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] 2018 (consolidated)

AA Travel alerts
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers

Relaxed change fee policies
How to change your trip (also see "Dynamic Reaccom" above and post #2)
When severe weather or other uncontrollable events impact your flight and travel dates, you may be able to change your trip with no change fee. (In some cases you might have to pay a fare difference.)

If a travel alert affects you, you may be able to change your trip online if:
  • You booked on aa.com or with American Airlines Reservations
  • Your travel is within the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Look for the 'change trip' button to see if your trip is eligible. If not, please call to change your trip.
Look up your trip and see if you have the ‘change trip’ button to change it online. Look up your trip

OSO Resources and Tools, Links
Link to AA Travel Policy / Travel Notices, including existing Weather Waivers
Link to AA travel exception policy for travel agents (now withdrawn from being downloaded by the public)

Off Schedule Operations special numbers (We have verification this number is still in service for widespread IROPS.)
AA OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Phone: 1.800.843.3447 "800-THE-EGGS"
(Only if you are affected, please! Only staffed during OSO events.

Twitter: @AmericanAir can help. Send them a request they follow you so you can send them DM (Direct Messages), then you can send them your AAdvantage number and EP status,which they can add to their profile on you. Then you can DM them privately with your PNR etc. (You must have a Twitter account.)

Link to Federal Aviation Administration OIS national airspace system status & delays
Link to FAA Air Traffic Control Command Center Advisories page
Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware
Link to "Misery Map" USA from FlightAware - see where it's miserable now
Link to North American airport weather delays (FlightStats)
Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)
Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)
Link to USA Weather Service website
Link to FT thread on PALL List discussing priority for passengers in IROPS, etc.
Thread with alternative numbers (wiki) that can be useful during IROPS: Long wait / delay / hold times for Customer Service / EXP, etc. lines (consolidated)
Link to "AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets" thread.
Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread
Link to thread: 2015 AA Travel Notices & Policy, resources etc. (OSO, system IROPS, weather, etc.) (pre-merger forum)[/quote]
Link to 2017 Guide to compensation thread.
Link to FAA list of aviation terms and abbreviations
Link to Wikipedia list of aviation and aerospace Terms and abbreviations

Note: Normally weather waivers allow no changes to origin or destination, but a number of members have optionally been so accommodated; new dates must be within a few days of the original booking. If your plans are totally hammered (missed my meeting, cruise, etc.) or is interrupted and you can't continue, try the phrase "trip in vain" for cancelling and refunding.

Weather (or other "force majeure") caused delays such as FAA ground holds, etc. will generally not gain payment for overnight hotel accommodation or hotel vouchers.

NOTE: Basic Economy fare holders ARE entitled to reaccommodation on other AA flights without requiring B fares, according to recent announcements. 23 Aug 2017)

Other ways of contacting AA reservations:
Link to listing of USA other language than English lines.

Code:
Call us (Within the U.S.)
Language Phone Hours (CT)
English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily
Spanish 800-633-3711 24 hours, Daily
Japanese 800-237-0027 6 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Mandarin 800-492-8095 7 a.m. – 12 midnight, Daily
Portuguese 866-824-8717 6 a.m. – 7 p.m., Daily
Hearing & speech impaired 800-543-1586 24 hours, Daily
Link to worldwide reservations phone numbers.
From outside U.S. can call AA headquarters 1-817-963-1234, use voice menu.
Try Skype or Skype WiFi or other methods of calling if your mobile will incur significant charges.

FAQ
Q. If I'm on an AA award or ticket but the flight is operated by another airline, whom do I call in case of cancellation or IROPS?
Prior to the day of travel, call AA (do so as soon as you become available of changes); on the day of travel, you can call AA but it's appropriate for the operating carrier to reroute and assist you.

Q. The operating carrier canceled or changed my AAdvantage award flight so I'll miss (event, connection, etc.)
AA can change you to AA flights regardless of award seat availability, but they can not force partner airlines to do so. AA may attempt to request the other carrier accommodate you, but the request will be with the carrier's Liaison with AA and may take some time.

Q. When is AA obligated to pay for Hotel in OSO / IROPS?
See this thread with that title.

Q. I’m stuck in xxx for the night! Where do I go now?
Start by reviewing the options (hotels, sleep facilities, lounges, ad hoc sleeping in airports) at http://www.sleepinginairports.net.

Q. Gd received my upgrade prior to OSO, now I’ll have to change flights.
If your upgrade was confirmed and from a SWU or miles and copay, AA will attempt to preserve your upgrade if seats are available for sale on AA or JBV partners AY, BA, IB and JL, rarely on non-JBV partners. If your upgrade was a CK-EXP-PPro courtesy upgrade or from e500 “stickers” AA will not likely preserve your confirmed upgrade.

Related issues
NOTE:This thread will be regularly archived to allow more recent OSO issues to be listed.
Posts from 2019 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2018 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread here.
Posts from 2017 can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here.
Older posts from 2016 and prior can be seen in the ARCHIVE thread, here
Print Wikipost

IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
My wife and I were due to be on LAX-YVR AA1719 this morning but, after initially being delayed for two hours, it was canceled. The lady in the AC was very helpful and able to rebook us on AC555 a little later in the day. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will I still earn LPs for this flight?
2. She mentioned that I could claim for a refund for any element of my original ticket that wasn't replicated by AC. My AC ticket did not include lounge access (which I had on AA because of my Platinum status) and I ended up with a seat in row 35, not an MCE equivalent. Any idea what kind of refund/compensation I'm likely to be able to get?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 3:47 am

I dont fly frequently anymore so apologies if this is a basic q.

Currently scheduled for BOS-MIA-BON tomorrow but the current weather in MIA is not looking favorable, tropical storm, etc is coming across Southern Florida. I think AA only flies from MIA to BON and only a couple times a week so my short vacation would be cut really short if I had to wait out the storm until the next available flight.

UA and DL have flights that route through EWR and ATL respectively tomorrow. They only have Y seats available.
I guess my question is, should I proactively call AA and ask to be moved to another carrier? Can they do that? If it results in a downgrade, what is the appropriate compensation? Not sure what to do in this case to salvage my vacation.

another option may be to fly AA on Monday instead, (with a downgrade on one segment) - that's still taking the chance on residual weather in MIA.

Last edited by jetsetter777; Jun 3, 2022 at 5:04 am
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:04 am

tried to call AA toda to see about a change, "rather than wait on hold, we can call you back in more than 8 hours#
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
My wife and I were due to be on LAX-YVR AA1719 this morning but, after initially being delayed for two hours, it was canceled. The lady in the AC was very helpful and able to rebook us on AC555 a little later in the day. I have a couple of questions:

1. Will I still earn LPs for this flight?
2. She mentioned that I could claim for a refund for any element of my original ticket that wasn't replicated by AC. My AC ticket did not include lounge access (which I had on AA because of my Platinum status) and I ended up with a seat in row 35, not an MCE equivalent. Any idea what kind of refund/compensation I'm likely to be able to get?
So AA told me when they rebooked me on AC that my bag would be moved over to AC. Turns out that never happened, and over 24 hours after landing my bag is still at LAX and hasn't been passed over to AC. No one I've spoken to has been able to do anything except send a message to LAX and ask them to call me once it's been located, but that hasn't happened. The way this is going, I half expect it to end up on a plane to YVR on Sunday as I'm flying back to LAX. Is there anyone else I can talk to here who can actually sort this out and definitively either put the bag on a plane or ensure it'll still be at LAX on Sunday when I return?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:27 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by jetsetter777
I dont fly frequently anymore so apologies if this is a basic q.

Currently scheduled for BOS-MIA-BON tomorrow but the current weather in MIA is not looking favorable, tropical storm, etc is coming across Southern Florida. I think AA only flies from MIA to BON and only a couple times a week so my short vacation would be cut really short if I had to wait out the storm until the next available flight.

UA and DL have flights that route through EWR and ATL respectively tomorrow. They only have Y seats available.
I guess my question is, should I proactively call AA and ask to be moved to another carrier? Can they do that? If it results in a downgrade, what is the appropriate compensation? Not sure what to do in this case to salvage my vacation.

another option may be to fly AA on Monday instead, (with a downgrade on one segment) - that's still taking the chance on residual weather in MIA.
AA usually won't do anything for this (especially if you're looking to reroute on another carrier) if it's weather related. At BOS, they might dump you on a partner like JetBlue.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I'm pretty fed up with AA today. My trip from NYC to Mexico City is turning into an all-day saga due to AA's inability to get its act together.

6:40am departure LGA-DFW on AA 428. I'm supposed to connect to AA 393 to get into MEX around 1pm.

I land in DFW to an email saying the MEX flight is cancelled so we put you on another flight leaving DFW at 7pm TOMORROW. Um, no.

Website won't let me look at any options for today, only tomorrow, so I have to call in while simultaneously standing in the customer service line, which has dozens of people in it and maybe three agents, one of whom goes off somewhere by herself for a while. After about an hour on the phone I get an agent who tells me flat out that my flight was cancelled because they just don't have a crew and offers to move me to UA with a hop to Houston so I can get in around 10pm tonight. I take it but before I can write the details down, the call drops. 😭

I make it to the counter and get the agent there to put me on those flights, but her attitude was really confrontational and just unpleasant.

So I'm spending 6 hours in Houston waiting for my final flight, UA agents by contrast have been much nicer and more competent.

Another odd note at the beginning of this ordeal: at LGA, I couldn't check in at a kiosk because it said the name on my passport didn't match the reservation - which is not true. I had to wait in line for 20 minutes, and the agent was also very puzzled and said the names were clearly the same and she couldn't understand the issue.

This really is a LCC, isn't it?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I'm pretty fed up with AA today. My trip from NYC to Mexico City is turning into an all-day saga due to AA's inability to get its act together.

6:40am departure LGA-DFW on AA 428. I'm supposed to connect to AA 393 to get into MEX around 1pm.

I land in DFW to an email saying the MEX flight is cancelled so we put you on another flight leaving DFW at 7pm TOMORROW. Um, no.

Website won't let me look at any options for today, only tomorrow, so I have to call in while simultaneously standing in the customer service line, which has dozens of people in it and maybe three agents, one of whom goes off somewhere by herself for a while. After about an hour on the phone I get an agent who tells me flat out that my flight was cancelled because they just don't have a crew and offers to move me to UA with a hop to Houston so I can get in around 10pm tonight. I take it but before I can write the details down, the call drops. 😭

I make it to the counter and get the agent there to put me on those flights, but her attitude was really confrontational and just unpleasant.

So I'm spending 6 hours in Houston waiting for my final flight, UA agents by contrast have been much nicer and more competent.

Another odd note at the beginning of this ordeal: at LGA, I couldn't check in at a kiosk because it said the name on my passport didn't match the reservation - which is not true. I had to wait in line for 20 minutes, and the agent was also very puzzled and said the names were clearly the same and she couldn't understand the issue.

Not a great experience. But if it truly were a LCC then you would be waiting for the next available flight and most definitely would not have been put onto UA (/any other carrier) to get you there earlier.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Not a great experience. But if it truly were a LCC then you would be waiting for the next available flight and most definitely would not have been put onto UA (/any other carrier) to get you there earlier.
True, but it's not like they were planning to offer me another carrier without me insisting. I'm pretty sure other passengers there who were also trying to rebook didn't get that opportunity (many were Mexican, not necessarily proficient in English from what I could see.)
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I noticed that the AA app for that reservation now has a banner saying "You're confirmed on a new flight. You can change your flight at no charge."
My flight out of MIA to JFK is delayed and I have a very tight connection from JFK to CDG. In the app I was offered to change the flight to later date for free. I ignored it, I think we can make it. But then this green banner "You're confirmed on a new flight. You can change your flight at no charge." now displays. What does it mean I am now “confirmed”??
Old Jun 6, 2022, 12:35 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA

I just went through a 48 hour nightmare layover because of the weather affecting the Dallas, Miami and NYC area late last week and the shitshow from AA's service. Returning from Mexico city to NYC through Miami on Wednesday, MIA-LGA flight was cancelled right when I landed in Miami, but got an email soon after showing I was put on a flight one hour after my original flight. Not bad I thought, boy was I wrong. Started getting delay emails for the new flight, then departure time kept getting pushed by 20 minutes at a time. Flight was finally cancelled around 8:00, and then began the nightmare of trying to get on another flight that will get me home that night. After 2 hours on the phone and app, I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to make it home that night. AA originally put me on a MIA-RDU flight that night, connecting from RDU-LGA Thursday morning, but I wasn't going to hop on another flight just to stay the night somewhere when I could just stay in Miami. They did manage to put me on a Thursday morning flight MIA-JFK. Woke up at 5:00 am Thursday morning to check flight, and saw that flight was now cancelled, and there were no other options back to NYC that day. The next available flight they could put me on was Friday from MIA-DCA, then DCA-LGA.

Friday comes around, I'm finally thinking I'll be home soon. Take the MIA-DCA flight, then for the DCA-LGA flight, 1:00 pm boarding time comes and passes, no status update, no announcements, nothing. Gate staff just standing by the closed boarding gate but not offering any updates. Finally after the 1:00 pm scheduled departure time, the screen finally updates that the flight is delayed to 1:50 pm. Fine I though, just an hour later. But not 5 minutes after that update, flight cancelled. They put me on a 5:00 pm flight that day.

By then I lost it, completely exhausted and mentally drained, I immediately left the airport and bought an Amtrak ticket. 4 cancelled flights on a single itinerary, I have no confidence in AA anymore
Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by grrivera7
My flight out of MIA to JFK is delayed and I have a very tight connection from JFK to CDG. In the app I was offered to change the flight to later date for free. I ignored it, I think we can make it. But then this green banner "You're confirmed on a new flight. You can change your flight at no charge." now displays. What does it mean I am now “confirmed”??
It means their system auto-booked you to another flight due to delay/tight connection. Best to check if your itinerary was actually changed and confirmed or if it was just false alarm.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Total cluster at MIA last night due to weather. Our flight to SFO pushed back on time only to hold on the tarmac so long that our captain timed out. Three hours after boarding, we were dumped back into the terminal and the flight was cancelled.

A great agent in the FL booked us on the next flight to DFW, with a next day flight to SFO. The inbound plane arrived but there was no ramp crew available, so it sat short of the gate for 90+ minutes, and was finally cancelled 2 hours after scheduled departure.

Same agent in the FL rebooked us on the next available flight to SFO with availability for the four of us, on Saturday morning, three days after our original flight. Ugh!

Got a cheap airport hotel on our own dime, and after some rest, I called the AA general reservations number to see if anything better opened up. Unbeknownst to me until now, my AY Plat status gets my calls routed to the EXP desk, and an agent answered within 1 minute. What an AAngel, we're now scheduled to get home later today, with MCE aisle seats for all.

Many, many flights from MIA were cancelled last night, and there were some extremely intoxicated and rude folks in the FL giving the rebooking agents a very hard time. Not a pretty sight.
LedgeT likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Good for you for making the best of what sounds like a very unpleasant situation. Hope today goes better for you.
work2fly likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Looking at the Arrivals board here in MIA, of the roughly 100 flights scheduled to arrive between now and 6:15, 22 have been diverted to other airports.

The Departures board doesn't look too bad yet, but delays and cancellations seem to be inevitable.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
What is the general consensus on IROPS happening, missing your flight, and instead of taking the new confirmed option (say next day), you find a way to your final destination. Would AA refund that portion of the segment missed, or could you ask for ORC and receive the miles as if you flew?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.