Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
AS is undertaking a *very* costly merger, and the airline needs to compel its customer base to fly the merged airline as much as possible to pay for it.
This is more stick than carrot for the slice of the AS customer base that has to fly to the whole CONUS. (And I think UA proved this decade that an airline can't "compel" its core HVCs to put up with too much.)

It is weird to me that AS picks this moment to narrow its attractiveness. Yes, they need to raise awareness and book more journeys to the west coast corridor as well as from. No, this is not going to help -- it's going to drive those elsewhere-based customers to an all-AA or all-DL strategy.

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
AS operates a WN style network in the west with a nice network of places west of the Rockies ... Boi to San Diego, SLC to SFO, etc.
Bear in mind that many of those weird AS point-to-point routes are tit-for-tat revenge action against DL, and I would expect the AS network to rationalize around SEA, SFO and LAX as that emotion subsides.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
I actually expect AA to end up expanding at SFO, which will further increase competition on the West coast. Currently, AA, AS, and VX are all very much gate constrained at SFO, but this will change starting next year as construction on Terminal 1 starts to deliver new gates.
Why should AA expand service out of SFO and not JFK or ORD, where AA actually has hubs which make them considerably more compelling, as opposed to starting out as third banana with zero non-spoke routes?

Originally Posted by BearX220
This is more stick than carrot for the slice of the AS customer base that has to fly to the whole CONUS. (And I think UA proved this decade that an airline can't "compel" its core HVCs to put up with too much.)

It is weird to me that AS picks this moment to narrow its attractiveness. Yes, they need to raise awareness and book more journeys to the west coast corridor as well as from. No, this is not going to help -- it's going to drive those elsewhere-based customers to an all-AA or all-DL strategy.
I seriously doubt it was AS's choice other than the choice to purchase VX, which triggered this. I think AA was not interested in competition for their own elites for routes like SFO/LAX-ORD/JFK. Too much overlap. It was OK for SEA/PDX, but once California was part of the overall mix, AA decided to bow out of a closer partnership.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 8, 2017 at 8:50 am
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:54 am

It is weird to me that AS picks this moment to narrow its attractiveness. .

Bear in mind that many of those weird AS point-to-point routes are tit-for-tat revenge action against DL, and I would expect the AS network to rationalize around SEA, SFO and LAX as that emotion subsides.
I doubt AS did the picking.

AS has always had more point-to-point routes than the big 3. The only ones that had anything to do with DL were the SLC ones. BOI-GEG, FAI-BRW, ABQ-SNA...etc have nothing to do with DL
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Aliquot
I doubt AS did the picking.

AS has always had more point-to-point routes than the big 3. The only ones that had anything to do with DL were the SLC ones. BOI-GEG, FAI-BRW, ABQ-SNA...etc have nothing to do with DL
+1

AS has had a lot of success with point to point routes with little or no competition. My impression is that even in their major hubs (SEA and PDX) they're much less dependent on connections than the big three are in ATL, ORD, DFW, PHL, IAH, MSP, and the like, largely due to geography (there are only so many trips for which SEA and PDX, as well as SFO and LAX, make any sense as a connecting point, particularly for an airline that's not feeding their own intercontinental flights) but also due to cost structure. When your network is more based on O&D traffic even in your hubs, you have more flexibility to operate point to point routes. And when you have a lower cost structure, you can be profitable in markets that don't generate much premium demand more easily.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Agree this appears to be an AA initiated change...
Old Jul 9, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Why should AA expand service out of SFO and not JFK or ORD, where AA actually has hubs which make them considerably more compelling, as opposed to starting out as third banana with zero non-spoke routes?
Well, the SF Bay Area is either the 3rd or 4th largest market in the country, and that should be worth a look, no? It's been continuing downhill out of SFO for us AA flyers for the past decade, with only the US merger looking like there are extra destinations (PHX, CLT, and PHL).

A real bummer is lack of an SFO-HNL route for us. AA's pullback out of SFO helped make a DM status flyer on DL out of me and my wife. (Disclosure, it was 2.5 continuous bad years on UA that was the trigger for that).

And, finally, flying to LAX (a vexing airport even on a good day) via regional jets just to get to many other places on AA has gotten very old. Just putting back the HNL route would appease me. Earning AS miles out of the Bay Area made flying doable. This divorce will cause many of us pain.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 11, 2017 at 7:19 am Reason: Close quote
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:44 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I actually expect AA to end up expanding at SFO, which will further increase competition on the West coast. Currently, AA, AS, and VX are all very much gate constrained at SFO, but this will change starting next year as construction on Terminal 1 starts to deliver new gates.

It might not be a major expansion, and it hasn't been announced when AA will actually vacate Terminal 2, but AA will be taking more gates when it moves to the rebuilt Terminal 1.
I want to point something out regarding T1 redevelopment. Terminal 1 always had 24 gates and will have 24 gates after the redevelopment, so there won't be any net gain of gates at SFO as result of this redevelopment.

Some airlines are using INTL terminal and they will be relocated to T1 along with AA. AS basically will move into T2 with VX replacing AA, so there won't be much room for growth for AS/VX since like you mentioned many airlines want to beef up a little at SFO (AA, DL, and WN).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by FullFare
Well, the SF Bay Area is either the 3rd or 4th largest market in the country, and that should be worth a look, no?
My point is if you want to get into a shooting war for market share with UA (which is what moving into SFO is, we'll just ignore the fact that the airport can't physically handle THREE airlines using it as a hub + current service), you don't have to start from zero non-hub routes in a hub that already has someone nipping at their heels (AS/VX)... not to mention that WN is a player in the Bay Area too out of OAK/SJC (and they have enough SFO service that they aren't insubstantial). AA already has ORD, LAX and NYC where they could throw a bunch of new planes into the market if they really want to try and launch attacks on UA. Doesn't require them to build up a station.

And yes, it would be nice for AA loyalists in SFO to get a bunch of new nonstop AA routes. I bet free ice cream, ponies and million dollar checks would be nice too. A lot of our pipe dreams as flyers don't really have much to do with how you run a profitable airline well.

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I want to point something out regarding T1 redevelopment. Terminal 1 always had 24 gates and will have 24 gates after the redevelopment, so there won't be any net gain of gates at SFO as result of this redevelopment.

Some airlines are using INTL terminal and they will be relocated to T1 along with AA. AS basically will move into T2 with VX replacing AA, so there won't be much room for growth for AS/VX since like you mentioned many airlines want to beef up a little at SFO (AA, DL, and WN).
Fourteen gates at 7-8 flights a day... that's not insubstantial. That's not far behind what WN has at DAL (sixteen).
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I predict that expansion by AA at SFO is as likely as UA expanding at DFW or ATL or AA expanding at IAH or ATL or IAD or BOS. In other words - notta chance. AA is currently the second biggest airline at SFO but will fall to third place with the AS-VX merger.

Fourteen gates at 7-8 flights a day... that's not insubstantial. That's not far behind what WN has at DAL (sixteen).
WN now has 18 gates at DAL with 10 flights a day each for a total of 180 flights.

I agree with you - attacking UA and AS at SFO would be a financial disaster.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:56 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Yes, but I think they already have close to the same amount of gates right now.

I do not think they will be able to deliver the same gate utilization level as WN does at DAL as SFO is a delay prone airport. Is the tradeoff of having more flights but high risk of delay with little chance of same day recovery worth it? Something AS will need to decide, but I won't be surprised if they settle for 1 hr turn times unlike WN's 30-40 minutes turn times.

Right now, the combined airline has around 125 flights a day with the recent expansion. Kind of already close to the max with almost 9 flights per day per gate once they move to T2.

This is why I feel there won't be any significant growth at SFO for AS/VX that some are predicting unless they can get more gates. Most of the growth will come from upgauging and eliminating some PNW redundancies. They will be a force at SFO for sure, but will be inferior to UA's offering at SFO.

Regarding AA - I agree there won't be any meaningful expansion at SFO. The new terminal 1 will have widebody capable gates that can accommodate the A380 with a secure connector to customs, so I could see BA/QF using those gates to centralize operations with AA (reduce expenses) and building a large shared lounge. That is probably going to be the extent of the AA/OW "expansion" at SFO.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jul 10, 2017 at 5:01 am
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Regarding AA - I agree there won't be any meaningful expansion at SFO. The new terminal 1 will have widebody capable gates that can accommodate the A380 with a secure connector to customs, so I could see BA/QF using those gates to centralize operations with AA (reduce expenses) and building a large shared lounge. That is probably going to be the extent of the AA/OW "expansion" at SFO.
If they were to get a bit adventurous, I could see BOS-SFO, and if they ever got another beyond perimiter slot for it, DCA-SFO, but that's about it.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I agree that AA won't significantly expand in SFO. There might be some minor adjustments, but no large expansion. AA has "right-sized" the PHX, reducing frequencies in some West Coast markets. I wonder if they will reverse some of those decisions when the partnership with AS is gone. It wouldn't be a huge number of flights, but just reinstating a few of the eliminated flights.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:16 pm

My point is if you want to get into a shooting war for market share with UA (which is what moving into SFO is, we'll just ignore the fact that the airport can't physically handle THREE airlines using it as a hub + current service), you don't have to start from zero non-hub routes in a hub that already has someone nipping at their heels (AS/VX)... not to mention that WN is a player in the Bay Area too out of OAK/SJC (and they have enough SFO service that they aren't insubstantial). AA already has ORD, LAX and NYC where they could throw a bunch of new planes into the market if they really want to try and launch attacks on UA. Doesn't require them to build up a station.

And yes, it would be nice for AA loyalists in SFO to get a bunch of new nonstop AA routes. I bet free ice cream, ponies and million dollar checks would be nice too. A lot of our pipe dreams as flyers don't really have much to do with how you run a profitable airline well.

I thought there were going to be other carriers like B6/HA/SY also moving into T2 after AA moves out. If AA moves to T1, there won't be space for any more airlines. T3 is united and they are not going to allow any more airlines to come in. Unless SFO is okay with domestic airlines out of international terminal permanently, the only place I can see for these 3 are T2 and that would take up at least 3 gates.

Just looking at today, VX has 65 flights out of SFO and AS has 21, so 86 in total. Those new route announcement might put it close to 100, which is probably the max for the forseeable future.

AA could at least start to improve its SFO position by bringing back main line on LAX-SFO.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm not thrilled by this news, but not surprised either, at least on the earning part. I wish the elite benefits continued, but it will probably lead to me just doing a status match to MVP Gold 75k from EXP and trying that out more.

I'd be extremely unlikely to continue to book AA codeshares of AS flights except for short ones out of SEA such as SEA-YVR when flying ORD-SEA-YVR. Hopefully AA will continue to check bags through on one ticket.

I can certainly easily maintain both EXP and MVP Gold if the qualifications remain the same.

One thing which I haven't seen mentioned is the reciprocal access between Alaska Lounges and Admirals Clubs. I hope that continues, but I don't see it happening at least in its current form. I'd expect it to go back to the old, more restricted version.
Mentioned rather prominently in the Wikipost at the top of the page; reciprocal lounge access will continue, at this point.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
My AA eticket receipts always list my baggage allowance accounting for elite status as the ticketed bag allowance. That means it should apply no matter who operates the first segment, since whatever the eticket receipt says is supposed to be binding according to DOT rules. Anyone know if this is likely to continue? If so, that would mean that AA elites purchasing an AA*/AS codeshare should still have no bag fee as if the reciprocal bag fee waivers were still in place after January 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.