Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by brp
Since we go to PNW and Hawai'i fairly often, it may be time to status match on AS, maintain 75K MVP there and fall back to LT Plat (both of us) on AA. We've been flying more BA to Europe and we'd still get Business Lounge access at LHR. We've been buying primarily premium class anyway, so upgrades are not terribly relevant. Only possible loss from EXP is the EXP Desk.

Thoughts-in-progress...but am I missing anything here?

Cheers.
I made this jump a few years ago, based on AS nonstops to Hawaii from my SAN base, along with nonstop service to BOS, SJC, and more recently, EWR.

As paid F on AS to Hawaii, transcons can be ~$500, bonus miles also apply to status qualification https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...on-alaska.aspx, the 20k MPV and 45k MPVG thresholds are quite doable. As a LT AA PLT, I continue to stick with AA miles when flying AA, to assure PLT status in the event of IROPS, priority standby, etc.

AS' reduction in the number of first seats from 16 to 12 has made upgrades MUCH more difficult, but as an MPV, I have always been upgraded to at least Y+, which is MUCH more comfortable than the exit row.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by tom911
Your profile is very different than mine. In 26 years of elite level flying, I've not bought a single business class ticket. I'm self funded. AA worked great for 17 years at the EXP level for me, but Cathay in particular does not accrue any AA miles in deep discount economy, the class you'd see me in.

I will miss both the Qantas and Cathay F lounges at HKG, having been in both of them the last few months, but it's not realistic for me to ramp up AA spending just for lounge access and four systemwides. My main focus is redeemable miles and Alaska has been working better for me this year in terms of bringing those in. A typical advance purchase $300 SFO-JFK brings me over 11,000 miles on Alaska and 2750 miles on AA. I can get over the lounge access and systemwides which don't clear until a day or two out for the extra redeemable miles.
I don't usually get J/F tickets either. When I first saw this news, I was not too surprised, but glad I made a switch to put a lot of credit to AS starting this year. I would still make EXP with a lot of AAV and CX J fares, but the golden days of AA valued miles are gone. You can still redeem AS miles on AA flights, but it is very clear AA wants AS to pay premium to get on AA F flights. 110k on DFW/LAX-HKG F? No thank you.

I am pretty affected by this change, but since I have both status, I can switch the flights and credit them accordingly. Very, very fortunately AS kept the AS Codeshare AA-operated flights, or else we are all doomed. My domestic preference is now:

AS->UA->B6->AA.

I would only get on AA domestic when I absolutely have to, or off the INTL flights. If I don't have AS status, I agree it is absolutely major blow to people who rely on status to get priority treatment AA elite on AS, or AS elite on AA.

It definitely blows. It's getting much more complicated than ever in terms of earning miles. US3 basically sucks right now.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
The decision to radically revamp the partnership was likely "mutual":

1. AS is undertaking a *very* costly merger, and the airline needs to compel its customer base to fly the merged airline as much as possible to pay for it; and

2. AA is serious about its West Coast expansion, and when two airlines try to occupy a similar niche, the law (and good business practice) only allows them to be frenemies at best.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
The decision to radically revamp the partnership was likely "mutual":

1. AS is undertaking a *very* costly merger, and the airline needs to compel its customer base to fly the merged airline as much as possible to pay for it; and

2. AA is serious about its West Coast expansion, and when two airlines try to occupy a similar niche, the law (and good business practice) only allows them to be frenemies at best.
Which West Coast expansion is that?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by JDiver
LAX.

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...ity-expansion/
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank you. I usually think of "West Coast" as SAN-SNA-LAX-SJC-OAK-SFO-PDX-SEA as well as some mid-size airport's not far inland, and LAX as LAX. The last times AA expanded West Coast ops it purchased AirCal and quickly did away with route structure, followed by buying Reno Air and dismantling it and its routes as well.

IMO, as far as passenger convenience and to some extent feeding into and complimenting AA route structure, the AA partnership significantly expanded AA West Coast presence. Expansion at LAX is a good thing (other than the gate stalls issue), and there are some regional flights connecting to LAX, but AS greatly amplified the AA reach.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Thank you. I usually think of "West Coast" as SAN-SNA-LAX-SJC-OAK-SFO-PDX-SEA as well as some mid-size airport's not far inland, and LAX as LAX. The last times AA expanded West Coast ops it purchased AirCal and quickly did away with route structure, followed by buying Reno Air and dismantling it and its routes as well.

IMO, as far as passenger convenience and to some extent feeding into and complimenting AA route structure, the AA partnership significantly expanded AA West Coast presence. Expansion at LAX is a good thing (other than the gate stalls issue), and there are some regional flights connecting to LAX, but AS greatly amplified the AA reach.
Still think this is a odd decision on both parts.

AS operates a WN style network in the west with a nice network of places west of the Rockies ... Boi to San Diego, SLC to SFO, etc. It was really a nice complement to AA's service and not that much overlap. I think the result of this is that both lose pax to Delta and WN.

I do get that AS is now operating Virgin America aircraft on the LAX-JFK route and has some other overlapping competition. Personally ... seems like a bad business strategy. Competing with DL in SEA, with UA in SFO, and now with AA in LAX.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by diver858
AS has done a TERRIBLE job negotiating gate locations in BOS and EWR - cramp spaces, poor PA systems, little in the way of amenities. EWR-SJC leaves before 6 pm, there should still be TSA Pre-Check available - not the case for the 6:59 pm departure of EWR-SAN. Admiral's Club is not busy in the evening, but Citi Prestige has been useless with an AS boarding pass...
BOS is a sore subject in the AS forum...

They were at the end of DL's terminal (with KS right next door) but once that partnership went downhill...AS seemed to get kicked out.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
This is really a bummer for those of us at SFO. The combined AS/VX is a nice fit
for the places that AA doesn't go, especially given how much AA has pulled back from SFO over the years. The merger authorization already prohibited AA and AS/VX offerering codeshares and miles in places where AA and AS/VX had overlapping routes, but that left a lot of destinations where you could get from here to there on AS/VX a lot easier than on AA.

I think I may have to look again at making AS my primary.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA,DL
AA is so Weak up and down the west coast and AS was the answer to AA lack of coverage. I miss SJC AA really needs a focus city SFO SJC PDX BOI somewhere to help with the lack of intra-California, PNW and west coast coverage.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by beckoa
BOS is a sore subject in the AS forum...

They were at the end of DL's terminal (with KS right next door) but once that partnership went downhill...AS seemed to get kicked out.
Delta doesn't control all gates at the 'Delta Terminal' at BOS. It gave up some gates in its bankruptcy. Blame Massport.

http://archive.boston.com/business/a...n_delta_gates/
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:15 pm

Thank you Ive been wondering myself.. I want SFO to get more point to point or BOI or SMF or PDX anything so I can use BUR,ONT,SNA and not always have to go through PHX or LAX for west coast flights.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:17 pm

A bigger LAX is Nice its a International Gateway Hub and does not address the whole weak AA problem up and down the coast and the PNW
Old Jul 8, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA West coast expansion is hilarious IMHO

At least they fly from LA-YVR/SEA/PDX now....when I lived there in 2008 it was Alaska or bust (I don't do WN/UA).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I actually expect AA to end up expanding at SFO, which will further increase competition on the West coast. Currently, AA, AS, and VX are all very much gate constrained at SFO, but this will change starting next year as construction on Terminal 1 starts to deliver new gates.

It might not be a major expansion, and it hasn't been announced when AA will actually vacate Terminal 2, but AA will be taking more gates when it moves to the rebuilt Terminal 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.