Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

But this will be a big disappointment to many of us here. E.g. We often fly to Hawai'i via Alaska's much more convenient (and often more economical) flights, such as OAK-KOA, SMF-OGG, SJC-KOA.

And Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA.

Original information moved to Wikipost.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 6, 2017 at 11:32 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
the crossover elite benefits are the biggest "suck" for me. preferred seats was my fave
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
I wonder what happened? This partnership has served me well over the years, especially traveling to Anchorage in the winter.

Not happy with this news.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
First AS cannot get along with DL, now AA. Is there a pattern? Many people had expected AS and AA to get much closer after both AS and AA broke up with DL.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many people had expected AS and AA to get much closer after both AS and AA broke up with DL.
I sure was in that camp.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
First AS cannot get along with DL, now AA. Is there a pattern? Many people had expected AS and AA to get much closer after both AS and AA broke up with DL.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I sure was in that camp.
Alaska bought Virgin, making it a major competitor to American on important routes. As Alaska builds out, it will be increasingly competitive with American.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Many people had expected AS and AA to get much closer after both AS and AA broke up with DL.
Eh, I hoped that would happen, but felt there was equal likelihood of a shi!tshow like this given "New" AS competes too much with AA to make a continued comprehensive suite of benefits worthwhile for either side.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Is there a SEA-CLT route announcement on the horizon?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Alaska bought Virgin, making it a major competitor to American on important routes. As Alaska builds out, it will be increasingly competitive with American.
I disagree. While I imagine that's what AS thinks is going to happen, they still have a long way to go before they're going to be seriously competing for transcon or even midcon traffic outside of places like SEA and PDX. AS is fine for the odd 2/2.5 hour flight, but 36" pitch in F on a 5 hour 737 flight? Yeah no thanks.

They would have to adopt the VX product on longer flights if they want to have any hope of competing with AA/DL/UA/B6 and I'm 100% sure that won't be happening.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Adelphos
As part of that takeover, AS agreed to end some AA codeshares as well. A number of AS flights will not be sold as AA codeshares - which can be more expensive than AS prime.

I was satisfied using much more convenient AS flights and losing 0.5 EQM per mile flown if I was flying F, but this will hurt. (OTOH, AFAIK ASMP members will still earn on AA international flights.)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cmd320
I disagree. While I imagine that's what AS thinks is going to happen, they still have a long way to go before they're going to be seriously competing for transcon or even midcon traffic outside of places like SEA and PDX. AS is fine for the odd 2/2.5 hour flight, but 36" pitch in F on a 5 hour 737 flight? Yeah no thanks.

They would have to adopt the VX product on longer flights if they want to have any hope of competing with AA/DL/UA/B6 and I'm 100% sure that won't be happening.
I'm not saying Alaska will be a successful competitor to American (or Delta for that matter) nationally, but the new route network overlaps too much with American for them to continue to be as closely aligned. Alaska is relaunching SFO to PHL, for example, which I'm sure American didn't like. Alaska may want to expand in Dallas Love eventually, competing with American again.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by JDiver
As part of that takeover, AS agreed to end some AA codeshares as well. A number of AS flights will not be sold as AA codeshares - which can be more expensive than AS prime.

I was satisfied using much more convenient AS flights and losing 0.5 EQM per mile flown if I was flying F, but this will hurt. (OTOH, AFAIK ASMP members will still earn on AA international flights.)
Not to mention sometimes losing the 0.5 EQM was worth the better service from AS.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Well that's a major bummer. I was looking forward to having AAdvantage benefits on the DEN-SFO route in addition to DEN-SEA.

Airline consolidation is such a great thing for the customer.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Woah. This is very surprising and quite sad. I wonder why and which airline precipitated this. It sure looks to me like they have far more complementary than competitive networks.

Originally Posted by cmd320

AS is moving from 36" to 41" pitch in F as part of the cabin reconfigurations for Premium Class.

AS is not trying to compete directly with the flat bed products on transcons (another reason I'm surprised AA and AS are cutting back their partnership, since transcons out of LAX and SFO are the main market in which AA and ASVX compete where AA and pmAS didn't compete much), thinking they have a profitable niche with a traditional frequent flyer program with upgrades to a higher-density F product for elites flying regularly at elevated coach fares.

Fortunately, I'm moving out of PHL before the end of the year. Crediting all flights to AS and maintaining AS elite status has worked well for me being based in PHL. That won't be viable with the new rules; one can't get AS*/AA codeshares on routes out of PHL that don't go to the west coast. But I guess that may be the point; AA and AS will continue to be able to use each other to extend their own networks but will force us to pick a primary carrier more than we currently have to.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 9:23 am

This is unfortunate for me. I loved the Alaska non-stops to SEA from WAS.

Not sure if the AA miles benefits are worth connecting in ORD for. I am Platinum now (lifetime) so I'd get double miles on AA; making a round trip to Seattle worth say 8k miles... or a third of the way to a (hard to get) free ticket; not sure if the added travel times and risk of a missed connection make it worth the hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.