Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Erik Jacobsen
My completely non-substantiated hunch is that this was initiated by Alaska. Why? Several reasons:
In addition, the timing: this takes effect the day the VX frequent flyer program goes away. That sounds more like a decision AS made than what that AA made.

However, you mentioned that AA needs this partnership more than AS. I'm not sure that's true. Without AS, AA has a hole in a relatively small (population-weighted) geographic area of the country (WA, OR, ID, and AK). Without AA, AS serves only major cities (ie ones big enough to merit nonstop flights to the west coast) outside of the west coast. Yes, codeshares mean that AS can still sell those tickets, but their elites lose waived check bag fees, preferred seats, and other elite perks on the last leg. So now, if you're Northwest-based and want service with elite perks to most places in the world, your best option is clearly DL. Until yesterday, AS at the very least had an argument for parity. If you're CA-based, there's an argument that all three of AA, DL, and UA are now better than AS.

Frankly, I thought AS joining oneworld was considerably more probable than this gutting of the partnership. Shows what I know.

I just had an experience with reservations that reminds how much I love working with Alaska, but the AA partnership is what currently makes them viable for me.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by beckoa
Is there a SEA-CLT route announcement on the horizon?
perhaps. if so, it will be a lovely once a day redeye.

i'm sure you can still codeshare this one for $12M round trip ANC-CLT or $475 round trip on DL.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. The timing and mode of communication. Specifically, I'm 75k on Alaska AND ExPlat on American. I received a terse message from American informing me of the changes. I have, so far, received ZERO communication from Alaska. The timing and the verbiage makes me think that this was something American "rushed out the door" so they could get the lead on messaging, before Alaska could "set the frame".
I received an email about it from AS this morning. Granted, it was in my mileage plan e-statement.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:43 pm

Here's another possible explanation for all this:

Ever since AA devaluation (on both earning and redemption) and because of the scarcity of AA saver awards, too many AA flyers, who don't fly very much on AS (other than AS-codeshares), are crediting their miles to AS and using them to fly on international flights in premium cabins. This has become a significant financial drain on AS (assuming AA isn't paying a premium for those AS miles).
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Since we go to PNW and Hawai'i fairly often, it may be time to status match on AS, maintain 75K MVP there and fall back to LT Plat (both of us) on AA. We've been flying more BA to Europe and we'd still get Business Lounge access at LHR. We've been buying primarily premium class anyway, so upgrades are not terribly relevant. Only possible loss from EXP is the EXP Desk.

Thoughts-in-progress...but am I missing anything here?

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by brp
Since we go to PNW and Hawai'i fairly often, it may be time to status match on AS, maintain 75K MVP there and fall back to LT Plat (both of us) on AA. We've been flying more BA to Europe and we'd still get Business Lounge access at LHR. We've been buying primarily premium class anyway, so upgrades are not terribly relevant. Only possible loss from EXP is the EXP Desk.

Thoughts-in-progress...but am I missing anything here?

Cheers.
I may be on that boat. And I can earn AS miles on some airlines that make sense to use but don't earn AA miles.

I'd think AS initiated this, as they were very prepared. Their website has the new charts for miles awards using AA, etc. whereas AA just made a hasty announcement.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXPLT; AS 75k; B6 Mosaic; UA Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott/SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I received an email about it from AS this morning. Granted, it was in my mileage plan e-statement.
I checked my junk mail and everything. Still *crickets* from Alaska.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I checked my junk mail and everything. Still *crickets* from Alaska.
if your email preferences with AS don't dictate that you receive a monthly MP statement you wouldn't have seen it

also, i think the emails are batched to some extent so yours might be in a batch not yet processed for today. i've seen cases with AS where others on the AS forum have gotten notice of things more quickly than me even though our email preferences are the same.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXPLT; AS 75k; B6 Mosaic; UA Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott/SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ashill
However, you mentioned that AA needs this partnership more than AS. I'm not sure that's true. Without AS, AA has a hole in a relatively small (population-weighted) geographic area of the country (WA, OR, ID, and AK).
Honestly, most of the PNW (Billings, Pullman, etc) is relatively low-value for AA, in my opinion. BUT the Seattle/Portland market, I would hazard to guess, is high value and will continue to increase in importance. The whole tech thing. Plus, it's significantly closer to Asia--go team Great Circles. With the new runway going in, SeaTac should be able to handle more traffic and higher frequency of turns on the existing gates. I think UA pulling it's crew base out of Seattle and AA not having a significant footprint really gives a competitive edge to DL. Perhaps a better way to put this is I think this is a net negative for AA but it's a wash *at the moment* for AS... and sets up AS to be a bigger player in the future. So, a long term net negative for AA and a long term net positive for AS.

But, again... I could be totally wrong.

Originally Posted by ashill
Frankly, I thought AS joining oneworld was considerably more probable than this gutting of the partnership. Shows what I know.
100% agree here. I was convinced AA/As would get closer to the point I've been planning my travel for when I wouldn't need to worry about crediting to two mileage programs (i.e. if AS joined OneWorld then I could truly go all in on AA.)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Perhaps a better way to put this is I think this is a net negative for AA but it's a wash *at the moment* for AS... and sets up AS to be a bigger player in the future. So, a long term net negative for AA and a long term net positive for AS.
Alaska's issue is that outside of the PNW, they are still a second (or third) airline at most of their major west coast "hubs". They have broad coverage of California, but not particularly deep. Most fliers still can't rely on Alaska to get them everywhere they want to go with their preferred schedules. They have to continue to grow organically in the West and also probably need to add some kind of hub or focus city in the Midwest or East.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Alaska's issue is that outside of the PNW, they are still a second (or third) airline at most of their major west coast "hubs". They have broad coverage of California, but not particularly deep. Most fliers still can't rely on Alaska to get them everywhere they want to go with their preferred schedules. They have to continue to grow organically in the West and also probably need to add some kind of hub or focus city in the Midwest or East.
Exactly. SFO is basically just getting the flights VX already had with a few extra flights to PDX and SEA. Nice to have new flights to ABQ/MSP/BNA, etc but one or two flights a day with no decent connections available if the non-stop doesn't work with your schedule is just not all that great.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just another sign that AA's mileage program is expected to remain relative junk compared to AS's mileage program, at least in terms of earning and spending miles.

When the AA program is so bad now that AA is leaking customers to AS' program, something gets surrendered.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When the AA program is so bad now that AA is leaking customers to AS' program, something gets surrendered.
And of course improving the AA program to retain those departing customers is out of the question!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by artemis
And of course improving the AA program to retain those departing customers is out of the question!
Given that the US3 industry cartel kingpins are in such a strong position against "competition", and given he increased industry concentration with an AS+VX combination in the picture too, AA isn't under pressure from other US airlines to improve the AA program.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
With the Virgin acquisition, Alaska needs American less for the "long haul" domestic routes...
The VX deal does almost nothing for any customer living east of Petaluma who doesn't want to go to San Francisco. Even post-merger AS has a long way to go before it means much to people outside the SEA-PDX-SFO coastalplex.

The "new" Alaska is acting significantly more competitively than the "old" Alaska... as they expand into new markets, Alaska can no longer rely on the "warm feelings" and "hometown pride" to keep people coming back to what is really a mediocre hard product.
AS is in line for a big dose of welcome-to-the-NFL-kid. They got where they are via provincial hometown support and cheers from outstations like OMA that are just excited to see a 737 again. In this next phase AS faces indifference (as its hard product is indeed dowdy and second-rate) or even hostility (from Bay Area VX fans mourning their hip alternative). And after the dust settles the merged airline will still be a west coast regional, albeit a big one.

It's a funny time for Alaska to bust up a relationship that increased its relevance in the 85% of the US it doesn't serve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.