Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Have you tried using SWU in the past year or so and looked at availability? We had a flight with J7 and 16 (or more) open seats that barely cleared outside T-24. Does it still happen earlier? Probably. But it is on the serious decline to the point of no longer being much of a positive.

Cheers.
Sorry, this is the first year I've gotten SWU so haven't tried applying it yet. I've gotten most of my upgrades in the last 48 hours the past year or even at boarding in the CX flights, so it doesn't bother me they don't get confirmed earlier. I've never had it when things were really great.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 12:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by tphuang
Sorry, this is the first year I've gotten SWU so haven't tried applying it yet. I've gotten most of my upgrades in the last 48 hours the past year or even at boarding in the CX flights, so it doesn't bother me they don't get confirmed earlier. I've never had it when things were really great.

The good ole' days were different for sure.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by brp
...it may be time to status match on AS, maintain 75K MVP there and fall back to LT Plat...on AA.
I am very strongly considering this also (after 11 consecutive years at EXP) and trying to figure out what this would look like for domestic and international travel.

Originally Posted by brp
We've been flying more BA to Europe and we'd still get Business Lounge access at LHR. We've been buying primarily premium class anyway...
Originally Posted by brp
...both of us at LT PLT. So, we will always get international Business Class lounges.
brp, is your intention to get lounge access based on class-of-service because you're buying J or based on OW Sapphire status? If the latter, how will that work if you're crediting miles to AS; i.e. your AS # is in the record? Based on tom911's remarks (below), I'm under the impression that the Sapphire benefits only apply if the AA (or other OWS) frequent flyer number is in the record. If the AS number is in the record (and therefore Sapphire status does not show on the AA/BA boarding pass), will the AA PLT status card be sufficient for lounge entry?

More generally, I'm wondering about the issue of lounge access based on OW Sapphire status when flying OW with an AS number in the record. e.g. flying Economy on JL metal on a JL flight number with AS frequent flyer number in the record - will the AA PLT card work for lounge access? or does the AA frequent flyer number need to be in the record and on the boarding pass if I want OW J lounge access.

Originally Posted by tom911
I made the move to Alaska as my primary carrier...I do plan to credit some international to AA still, primarily Europe, as there will be less Alaska miles in play next year when only the AA international flight will accrue Alaska miles. In that direction lounge access plus MCE seats have me leaning towards crediting to AA if I plan to fly AA/BA.
If you're going to do an Alaska status match wait until October 1 or that status will expire at the end of 2017.
Thanks for this good intel tom911. I'll request a match after 10/1.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides
brp, is your intention to get lounge access based on class-of-service because you're buying J or based on OW Sapphire status? If the latter, how will that work if you're crediting miles to AS; i.e. your AS # is in the record? Based on tom911's remarks (below), I'm under the impression that the Sapphire benefits only apply if the AA (or other OWS) frequent flyer number is in the record. If the AS number is in the record (and therefore Sapphire status does not show on the AA/BA boarding pass), will the AA PLT status card be sufficient for lounge entry?

More generally, I'm wondering about the issue of lounge access based on OW Sapphire status when flying OW with an AS number in the record. e.g. flying Economy on JL metal on a JL flight number with AS frequent flyer number in the record - will the AA PLT card work for lounge access? or does the AA frequent flyer number need to be in the record and on the boarding pass if I want OW J lounge access.
There's a good amount of discussion of this earlier in this thread. No issues accessing oneworld lounges by flashing an AA Platinum card with the AS number in the reservation. Easy enough for lifetime Platinums; more difficult for the rest of us. (And MVP Gold status is good four lounge access in LHR when flying BA -- at least to SEA, maybe to elsewhere -- and when flying QF.)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
There's a good amount of discussion of this earlier in this thread. No issues accessing oneworld lounges by flashing an AA Platinum card with the AS number in the reservation. Easy enough for lifetime Platinums; more difficult for the rest of us. (And MVP Gold status is good four lounge access in LHR when flying BA -- at least to SEA, maybe to elsewhere -- and when flying QF.)
Thanks for the explicit answer - in other threads, others have occasionally noted difficulty in MAD and other places trying to use AA PLT or EXP card for access if AA# was not in the record and on the boarding pass so I wanted explicit intel.

Indeed, I read every post in this thread prior to posting. I must have missed the posts where the discussion of OWS-based lounge access was used in conjunction with AS FF # in the record. Closest I saw was tom911's post alluding to his plan to use AA number in the record for purpose of lounge access, which is why I specifically inquired about this issue. Your answer helps some -any first hand experience on JL with this situation?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the explicit answer - in other threads, others have occasionally noted difficulty in MAD and other places trying to use AA PLT or EXP card for access if AA# was not in the record and on the boarding pass so I wanted explicit intel.

Indeed, I read every post in this thread prior to posting. I must have missed the posts where the discussion of OWS-based lounge access was used in conjunction with AS FF # in the record. Closest I saw was tom911's post alluding to his plan to use AA number in the record for purpose of lounge access, which is why I specifically inquired about this issue. Your answer helps some -any first hand experience on JL with this situation?
To be clear, I'm mostly quoting others. But I have had no trouble on a small handful of occasions accessing BA lounges (in LHR and PHL) by showing my now-expired AA Platinum card while crediting to AS. I too have seen some reports of people having trouble, but my impression is that people who post here succeed considerably more often than not.

I haven't gone back and read this thread specifically; it may have been in the thread about the AA-AS partial breakup in the AA a forum or the AS newbie thread since the breakup.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:16 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Right now these reservations have my AA number in them- to get seats as EXP (works as PLT, too). MY intention at the time was to credit to AA, but this was before this change.

If I do go with my proposed change, the AA number will stay in there for now...all the way through check-in...yielding a BP with AAdvantage number in there. At the gate, change to AS...just for the outbound. Rinse, lather and repeat on the return.

Might even be possible to leave AA in there through the flight and change it right after returning, but that may be pushing it...

But I still have yet to see anything indicating that status-based lounge access requires crediting the flight to OW.

(I also realized that the current set of flights I'm talking about are in 2018, when I'll still have EXP based on 2017 qualifying year in any event, so the above is for 2019 and beyond).

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by brp
But I still have yet to see anything indicating that status-based lounge access requires crediting the flight to OW.
I've seen nothing in writing, but I suspect if you e-mail AA and ask them, you'd get a response back that would, in some manner, discourage that.

I recall a discussion this year on the AA forum about upgrading with AA systemwides and then crediting those flights to another carrier. A veteran poster there said that doing that was clearly against the AA rules (something about getting AA elite perks when not flying as an AA elite), but I doubt you'll see that in writing anywhere on the AA systemwide usage page.

My bigger worry, and it may very well be unfounded, is that if AA starts getting lounge charges for flights I'm not crediting to them, or to any One World partner, is that they may react at some point and lock my Advantage account. I don't know what flags they might have in place to recognize that pattern - maybe none at all - and I may be overthinking the whole process - but I have a lot of miles at risk if they want to retaliate.

On a side note, there is some discussion on the Cathay forum about changing the airline you credit to and lounge access that you might find interesting. Very similar to what we're discussing here except with CX accounts in play instead of AA.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...d-anymore.html
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:39 pm
Suspended

...I recall a discussion this year on the AA forum about upgrading with AA systemwides and then crediting those flights to another carrier. A veteran poster there said that doing that was clearly against the AA rules (something about getting AA elite perks when not flying as an AA elite), but I doubt you'll see that in writing anywhere on the AA systemwide usage page..[/url]
It is covered as a catch-all in the main AAdv T&C:

You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It is covered as a catch-all in the main AAdv T&C:

You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats.
Thanks Jon. This is exactly what I was/am fretting about and just wondering what real world experience had been like with regard to status-based access in this scenario.

In many of my personal cases, I'll be flying paid J and I am an AC member so I'd usually have class-of-service lounge access or use of Admirals Club as a member regardless, but I am still trying to think through various scenarios for international travel while crediting to AS rather than AA.

ps: The lifetime PLT status is a nice little fallback to have in the hip pocket - secured several years back due to much excellent advice from you here (and on the other, now mostly defunct, board).

Last edited by TheDudeAbides; Jul 15, 2017 at 1:48 pm Reason: fix typo
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by brp
Right now these reservations have my AA number in them- to get seats as EXP (works as PLT, too). MY intention at the time was to credit to AA, but this was before this change.

If I do go with my proposed change, the AA number will stay in there for now...all the way through check-in...yielding a BP with AAdvantage number in there. At the gate, change to AS...just for the outbound. Rinse, lather and repeat on the return.
I did that the other day. After I had purchased my upgrade on AS because of my EXP status ... at the boarding gate, I asked the AS agent to plug in my AS number. It went off without a hitch. However, I only had a one way. Not sure how it would work if I had a round trip.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting that Jon. While status-based lounge access is not listed explicitly, I can see that they would extend it there.

However, specifically for lounge access, I thought that that *was* OK if ones status was with AA and one were crediting to another OW member. That, in this case, they could still use status to access OW lounges. Or do we think that that's not the case, even if the crediting is still within OW?

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I did that the other day. After I had purchased my upgrade on AS because of my EXP status ... at the boarding gate, I asked the AS agent to plug in my AS number. It went off without a hitch. However, I only had a one way. Not sure how it would work if I had a round trip.
In the past I've done this with AS/AA to use AA status to get premium seats, then change to AS at the gate. I've not explicitly asked to change only the outbound, so both get changed. However, we've never lost the premium seats on the return.

With AS, purchasing two OW itineraries is the same price as RT, so doing everything as OW pairs even for RT would assure that returns were not impacted.

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Thanks for posting that Jon. While status-based lounge access is not listed explicitly, I can see that they would extend it there.

However, specifically for lounge access, I thought that that *was* OK if ones status was with AA and one were crediting to another OW member. That, in this case, they could still use status to access OW lounges. Or do we think that that's not the case, even if the crediting is still within OW?
I'll have to do some asking around and see if there's any new/modified stance on this in light of this major new change to the AA/AS relationship.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:50 pm

I recall a discussion this year on the AA forum about upgrading with AA systemwides and then crediting those flights to another carrier. A veteran poster there said that doing that was clearly against the AA rules (something about getting AA elite perks when not flying as an AA elite), but I doubt you'll see that in writing anywhere on the AA systemwide usage page.
With respect to systemwides specifically, that makes no sense. Systemwides can be applied to anybody; there's no status requirement for the traveler. So I don't see how AA could say you can't apply it to yourself when crediting to a different airline. If the issue is waitlisting a systemwide and getting EXP priority on the waitlist but then crediting to another airline, I could see the issue (just like no complimentary/sticker upgrades when crediting to another airline).

(This is following a tangent off topic, though.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.