Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stheller
AA and Alaska Airlines Reduce Partnership Perks Effective 1 Jan 2018

See article by Gary Leff on July 6, 2017 (link)

Effective January 1 2018:
  • AA will only allow EQM-EQS-EQD (and presumably award miles) on American Airlines marketed ("codeshare") flights operated by Alaska Airlines (AS marketed flights will not accrue AA EQM-EQS-EQD)

• "American Airlines elite frequent flyers will no longer receive travel benefits — such as priority check-in, priority boarding, access to preferred seats, and free checked bags — on Alaska Airlines." (Gary Leff)
Note that AA codeshares on AS were reduced by agreement when AS took over VX, not to mention that where AA codeshares are sold, they may cost significantly more than the AS prime flight.

Some current partnership benefits will continue:
  • AAdvantage awards using AS flights will still be allowed.

• Admirals Club members will continue to have Alaska Lounge (formerly Board Room) access with same day travel on an AA or AS marketed and operated flight.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Members will also experience a number of changes, according to Gary's article, which includes Alaska's new award chart for ASMP awards on AA. Discussed in the Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan forum thread.

Print Wikipost

AA and Alaska End Major Partnership Aspects 1 Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I also wonder which airline initiated the 'breakup' I have a gut feeling AA is trying to protect the oligopoly.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXPLT; AS 75k; B6 Mosaic; UA Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott/SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aztimm
I didn't realize that it had been dropped. I know US had CLT-SEA (and I think CLT-PDX also).

Perhaps some of those routes will be resurrected.
I'm pretty sure they meant CLT-SEA on AS. AA never got rid of this route. I know. I was on it yesterday.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill
I may be dreaming, but will a corollary of this announcement be expanded AA codeshares to places like EAT, STS, AK airports other than ANC/FAI, etc? It's currently easy to earn AA miles flying to those small AS destinations without AA codeshares but won't be possible anymore unless AA adds codeshares.
Given AS had to cut a number of AA codeshares to have the VX takeover approved, I'd not expect expansion of codeshares.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:48 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
As a frequent ORD-SEA/PDX flyer, this just ruined my day
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terrible news.

For other people.

I think I've flown AS twice in the past 10-15 years.

Probably means better preferred seat availability for me as an AA elite, if the AS folks can't get them. So ^
Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Given AS had to cut a number of AA codeshares to have the VX takeover approved, I'd not expect expansion of codeshares.
They had to cut the codeshares on routes where they either do or might plausibility compete (LAX-PHL, SEA-CLT, etc). I'm talking about the classic routes for a codeshare: AA putting its code on AS-operated flights from AS hubs to small cities.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA and Alaska do not compete directly on AUS-SEA, so hoping they will continue to codeshare on that route.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
I'm not thrilled by this news, but not surprised either, at least on the earning part. I wish the elite benefits continued, but it will probably lead to me just doing a status match to MVP Gold 75k from EXP and trying that out more.

I'd be extremely unlikely to continue to book AA codeshares of AS flights except for short ones out of SEA such as SEA-YVR when flying ORD-SEA-YVR. Hopefully AA will continue to check bags through on one ticket.

I can certainly easily maintain both EXP and MVP Gold if the qualifications remain the same.

One thing which I haven't seen mentioned is the reciprocal access between Alaska Lounges and Admirals Clubs. I hope that continues, but I don't see it happening at least in its current form. I'd expect it to go back to the old, more restricted version.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Well this is a bummer. I like to fly Alaska's SAN-KOA a few times a year and credit it to AA. The only good thing I see about all the frequent flyer benefits being watered down at all the US major airlines is it waters down my loyalty. Just flew a delta LAX-DFW in first last week and I loved it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
<snip>

One thing which I haven't seen mentioned is the reciprocal access between Alaska Lounges and Admirals Clubs. I hope that continues, but I don't see it happening at least in its current form. I'd expect it to go back to the old, more restricted version.
Did you read the Wikipost or the linked article? Lounge access will continue for Club members.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 6, 2017 at 11:34 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA and Alaska do not compete directly on AUS-SEA, so hoping they will continue to codeshare on that route.
If they do, you will likely pay for the feature (through a difference in fares) and as I understand it, even if on a code share you will not enjoy any elite privileges.

Regards
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Many people had expected AS and AA to get much closer after both AS and AA broke up with DL.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
I sure was in that camp.
I certainly was in that camp too. This doesn't really impact me but definite impact for those who live in and/or travel around the West. I am quite surprised.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This is really sad, did not really see this coming - although it does not impact me that much, still this will make those once in while flights that I have with AS less ideal (mainly SFO-PDX) - back to the normal line and paying for the better seats and luggage I guess or book it under the AA code (which I understand still loses all Elite benefits besides the earning EQM,etc part).

Cheers!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXPLT; AS 75k; B6 Mosaic; UA Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott/SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I also wonder which airline initiated the 'breakup' I have a gut feeling AA is trying to protect the oligopoly.
My completely non-substantiated hunch is that this was initiated by Alaska. Why? Several reasons:

1. This makes more sense for Alaska than it does for American. American has a very light presence in the PNW while Alaska is the dominant carrier. So, American needs Alaska for the "last/first" leg for lots of flights there. With the Virgin acquisition, Alaska needs American less for the "long haul" domestic routes. In fact, their route map, once they re-jigger a little is looking more and more similar to JetBlue's routes. i.e. They're becoming a major player, not just the quirky regional.

1b. The parts of the agreement that are being kept (i.e. the international flights) almost exclusively benefit Alaska fliers. No way that American would voluntarily change the agreement in such a way that gave a competitive advantage to someone other than themselves.

1c. American is not, as far as I know, planning on expanding much more into the PNW. SeaTac is full so even if they wanted to... there's no way they could bring the volume of service up enough.

1d. Delta has already snagged pretty much everything available in the PNW. Not only is there not extra capacity for American to grab, this change also gives Delta a competitive advantage (Even if American didn't care about giving an advantage to Alaska, Dougie would be more likely to bring back distance based earnings before he'd cede advantage to Delta). How so? Well... in the past, I could book a flight to an obscure portion of the PNW and, even though part of it was on Alaska, I would still earn my American miles. Now, if I stay with the American/Alaska pairing... I'm earning some miles on AA and some on AS. OR I could just book with Delta and get all the miles into a single account/have a more seamless experience, etc. NO WAY American wants me to start considering Delta instead.

1e. Delta's refusal to interline with American. Again, American needs Alaska in the PNW more than Alaska needs American.

2. This caught JonNYC by surprise... he was expecting a closer relationship (as were most of us) following the Delta breakup. He's super reliable when it comes to AA, so...

3. The timing and mode of communication. Specifically, I'm 75k on Alaska AND ExPlat on American. I received a terse message from American informing me of the changes. I have, so far, received ZERO communication from Alaska. The timing and the verbiage makes me think that this was something American "rushed out the door" so they could get the lead on messaging, before Alaska could "set the frame".

3a. Any major changes American has initiated have all come with he "look how we're making things even better" spin, even when it's a poor change. But this has no spin. Just the facts tersely. My hunch is Alaska exercised an option in the agreement and it caught American by surprise and this is their reaction.

4. The "new" Alaska is acting significantly more competitively than the "old" Alaska. Which makes sense. As they retire the Virgin brand and as they expand into new markets, Alaska can no longer rely on the "warm feelings" and "hometown pride" to keep people coming back to what is really a mediocre hard product. Being the dominant carrier will always have a competitive advantage in the home market, but for the rest... they need to get competitive and fast. Or Delta et al will eat their lunch. Plus, their dominance in the PNW is being threatened and not just by Delta... When JetBlue brings Mint to the PNW later this year... that's going to be a game changer.

And, of course... there's always the thought posted on another forum by MSPeconomist:
It's surprising as many people expected AS and AA to get closed after the divorce of DL and AS (and later DL's refusal to interline with AA). However, with AS breaking up with DL and now AA, could it be that the problem wasn't so much that DL doesn't play well with others but perhaps that AS has problems maintaining relationships with bigger and stronger airlines?

I've more thoughts, but as a very frequent flier on both... I really think this is an Alaska decision as part of their goal to play with the "big dogs".

Oh, and for two off-the-wall conspiracy theories:
1. What if this is preparation for Alaska to join *A... Given that their ethos so closely align with Untied's these days?
2. What if this is preparation for a merger with Jet Blue? Now that Alaska has a 32x fleet?

Yes, I know those are off the wall and unlikely. More for your giggles than anything else.

Erik

PS One other thing I just realized that makes me think this is an AS initiated move... the changes take effect the same day the Virgin mileage program is shut down.

Last edited by Erik Jacobsen; Jul 6, 2017 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by JDiver
But this will be a big disappointment to many of us here. E.g. We often fly to Hawai'i via Alaska's much more convenient (and often more economical) flights, such as OAK-KOA, SMF-OGG, SJC-KOA.
I agree JDiver - the loss of the direct Bay Area-Hawaii flights will sting the most. I wonder if the previous codeshares from OAK and SJC that were recently eliminated might return. Unlikely I suppose but it would be nice to book OAK/SJC-KOA/LIH, etc as AA codeshares and at least earn AA EQM/EQD for the annual jaunts to the islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.