Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dog Allergic J Pax Implies She Might Cause Diversion Due to Dogs, Offloaded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 22, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SUMMARY OF EVENTS (link):

Passenger flying MIA-LAX on a Boeing 777-300ER on a paid Business Class ticket (all aisle lie flat seat compartments).

"Upon boarding, a passenger seated in the row behind her got on 'with a rather large dog' who she says 'tried to jump on' her" (G Leff). Seeking re accommodation in the cabin, she was shown a seat in the aft of the Business cabin, near a smaller dog. Passenger claims she has allergies.

The passenger's statement as quoted by Gary Leff:

I said to a[.. flight attendant] that I hope we don’t need to make an unplanned stop to which she replied “we don’t want that to happen” I replied that I didn’t want that to happen either.

I returned to my seat and did my best to shield myself from the dog.

A few minutes later the [gate agent] came up to me and said that I had to get off the flight. I thought he was joking but when I realized that he wasn’t, I complied as I know the FAA rules concerning crew member compliance.

As I disembarked, a few of the [flight attendants] were applauding and cheering because I was being removed.
Print Wikipost

Dog Allergic J Pax Implies She Might Cause Diversion Due to Dogs, Offloaded

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 24left
Thanks.
Sent you a PM as well.

For the record, I am FIRMLY on the VERY skeptical of all these comfort animals we're seeing on board, etc, so, my built-in bias is usually automatically pro-pax-who-doesn't-want-to-sit-next-to-a-dog
Old May 19, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by JonNYC
) I think she knew she made a big mistake making the "unplanned stop" comment (at which point she sealed her own fate as far as being removed)
I definitely see your point here, but what bugs me about the incident is not the applause, it's the near automatic reaction of removing here from the plane.

Was she just venting? Was she allergic to dogs in a way that would cause a serious medical issue? Or would she just be extremely unhappy for the entire flight? Would she be willing to sit in coach if that's what it took to get away from the dog? Were there seats in First that could have accomodated her?

So while I agree with you descriptively, I don't think we should be happy about a world where a throw-away comment could "seal her fate" without any further application of common sense or critical thinking.*

Taking 1.5 minutes to ask those questions is not an unreasonable expectation.

*It's entirely possible that common sense and critical thinking could have still led to her being kicked off in this case. It just sounds like that didn't happen.
Old May 19, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm confused about the "due no compensation" line... Does that mean they didn't re-route her? Or didn't give her any food/lodging until the replacement flight?
Old May 19, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
I'm pretty sure there is more to this. AA staff wouldn't applaud unless she was being a royal pain in the neck. The part that is bizarre to me is she books a lie flat seat, then when they try to reseat her in the back...........there is a dog beside that seat too.

I don't want to encourage people because my emotional support is a shot of vodka, a deep breath and little more, but, google can easily find you a Doctor (ok a quack) who will write you a prescription for your pet to be an emotional support dog. All you need is the cert and find a little vest.

Unless the animal/owner is being threatened I have never seen a service dog leap at someone.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
My step-sister brings her dog on the plane as an "emotional support animal". It's complete BS, but she got a doctor friend to give her a note. Her dog is a 4lb Yorkie, so it's not really going to inconvenience anyone. But still. It's a bit ridiculous.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whether the emotional support need is real or not, if the animal is not trained, it should not ride in the passenger cabin.
But I think we're going to have to see a pit bull attack - maybe on a child - before this gets fixed. And even then, there will be people squealing like stuck pigs about discrimination of some kind.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The smallest state
I'm pretty sure there is more to this. AA staff wouldn't applaud unless she was being a royal pain in the neck. The part that is bizarre to me is she books a lie flat seat, then when they try to reseat her in the back...........there is a dog beside that seat too.

I don't want to encourage people because my emotional support is a shot of vodka, a deep breath and little more, but, google can easily find you a Doctor (ok a quack) who will write you a prescription for your pet to be an emotional support dog. All you need is the cert and find a little vest.

Unless the animal/owner is being threatened I have never seen a service dog leap at someone.
I agree with most of the posters here that this "emotional support animal"
provision is being abused. This lady deserves applause for raising the
issue. I would not have said anything about diversion etc. but would have
been firm about the seat change.

The other day I saw a young couple with one of these dogs on board. Why do
they need a support animal when they have each other ? That is a sad
state of affairs when people in relationships need an animal for
emotional support :-)

F.A.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Isn't it common now to remove passengers who have a nut allergy? It seems that they don't want to have "make an emergency" stop mid-flight. I seem to recall reading that passengers have sometimes not been bringing that to light to not get removed from the flight.

That said, I love animals but don't want one jumping on me for the duration of a flight.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swingaling
My step-sister brings her dog on the plane as an "emotional support animal". It's complete BS, but she got a doctor friend to give her a note. Her dog is a 4lb Yorkie, so it's not really going to inconvenience anyone. But still. It's a bit ridiculous.
Agree. I have a friend who has the ESA and it is no less than partial BS. It's just a way of saving $100 or whatever the fee is now.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
This'll work fine until some lunatic or comedian with camera crew in tow shows up with his/her "emotional support Bengal tiger" or something.

Then the wheels are coming off of the wagon.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
This was obviously meant as humorous and was a particular brilliant bit from WS, but I'm telling you, we're headed this way unless this nonsense stops. (Note the date on this video.)

Enjoy this and have a great weekend.

Old May 19, 2017, 3:40 pm
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Gold
I was recently on a flight in which the woman in 7B brought a large pig on board. I was in 8A...no way I would have sat in 7A next to a frickin' pig.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It won't. She sealed her own fate by suggesting the "unplanned stop" -- at that point she was basically putting them on notice and she had to come off.
Hmm, this is borderline infuriating. We obviously weren't there to see exactly how it played out, but why not remove the dogs? What's to say the next flight won't also have dogs that might trigger her allergies and require an unplanned stop? Are ESAs more important than people?
Old May 19, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by 24left
Passenger Kicked Off American Airlines Flight After Asking Not to Be Seated Next to Large Dog

IMHO

If this is what happened, then AA has a serious problem.
You can all feel free to disagree, but if the crew did indeed applaud when she left the aircraft, then no one has learned a thing in the past month.

The emotional support animal free-for-all is also out of control. Not only are large animals and farm animals now flying, not only are many people using fake vests and certificates, but I'm sorry, animals cannot be jumping on pax. A proper service animal does not do that.

Thankfully, other airlines I fly do not allow animals in the Business class cabins partly due to pod seating. In the main cabins, they must fit in their carriers and under the seat if they are small cats or dogs.
The 77w has a giant business class cabin. Proper separation would have been possible without anyone having to get kicked off. In my experience, AA crew are pretty good at this.
I do travel with a (large) service dog, and encountered passengers with allergies a few times. In all cases, AA crew were taking things seriously and worked to find amicable solutions that left everyone (more or less) happy.
One time the passenger behind us in the 8-seat F cabin was severely allergic, and since the cabin was far too small to ensure proper separation and he was already settled in, in PJs and all (I boarded last, they held the door open for us, as we were running through DFW coming from a late connection and the promised golf cart was nowhere to be seen) we retreated to row 12 or so back in business class. I did enjoy perfect service on this flight (including the F meal and cappucino), doggie had her own seat across the aisle, and I did get my SWU redeposited. No big deal.

I don't buy this story. While AA crew in my experience are huge dog lovers (really. Never, repeat:never 'enjoyed' the kind of 'grumpy granny' service that's so widely purported on this board) the alleged applause as she left the plane is super-unprofessional. There must be more to the story than is given us here.
And yes, a proper service animal does not jump on passengers.
Emotional support animals, however - different story. Those basically are pets with no training required, and they do misbehave frequently.

Nonetheless, if the jumping on fellow passengers really happened, the animal should have left the flight, period.
Old May 19, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Sounds like the type of customer that's hard to please.

I'm tired of all the dogs though. I had three on my AA flight last week. None were a service dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.