Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dog Allergic J Pax Implies She Might Cause Diversion Due to Dogs, Offloaded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 22, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SUMMARY OF EVENTS (link):

Passenger flying MIA-LAX on a Boeing 777-300ER on a paid Business Class ticket (all aisle lie flat seat compartments).

"Upon boarding, a passenger seated in the row behind her got on 'with a rather large dog' who she says 'tried to jump on' her" (G Leff). Seeking re accommodation in the cabin, she was shown a seat in the aft of the Business cabin, near a smaller dog. Passenger claims she has allergies.

The passenger's statement as quoted by Gary Leff:

I said to a[.. flight attendant] that I hope we don’t need to make an unplanned stop to which she replied “we don’t want that to happen” I replied that I didn’t want that to happen either.

I returned to my seat and did my best to shield myself from the dog.

A few minutes later the [gate agent] came up to me and said that I had to get off the flight. I thought he was joking but when I realized that he wasn’t, I complied as I know the FAA rules concerning crew member compliance.

As I disembarked, a few of the [flight attendants] were applauding and cheering because I was being removed.
Print Wikipost

Dog Allergic J Pax Implies She Might Cause Diversion Due to Dogs, Offloaded

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasyGoingGuy
I was wondering how one tells an 'Emotional support or psychiatric service animal' from an animal who's travel has been paid for.
That's an easy one. Nearly 100% of the animals whose travel is paid would be in an underseat carrier. It's extremely rare for an animal to be permitted to be outside a carrier unless it's a service animal or emotional support animal (all of which travel for free).

The real question is how does one tell a service animal (performing tasks for its handler) from an emotional support animal (which is, by definition, a pet)? Neither is required to wear any vests, banners or other clothing. If you're not at the ticket counter, witnessing the check-in process, it might be difficult to distinguish between the two once onboard.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by FWAAA
That's an easy one. Nearly 100% of the animals whose travel is paid would be in an underseat carrier. It's extremely rare for an animal to be permitted to be outside a carrier unless it's a service animal or emotional support animal (all of which travel for free).

The real question is how does one tell a service animal (performing tasks for its handler) from an emotional support animal (which is, by definition, a pet)? Neither is required to wear any vests, banners or other clothing. If you're not at the ticket counter, witnessing the check-in process, it might be difficult to distinguish between the two once onboard.

.....My criticism of the off-topic detour into emotional support animals was to highlight the fact that almost none of the posts in this thread concern the crew's behaviour. Instead, they concern something outside AA's control - the dog's presence. ........
I couldn't resist.

Hopefully you'll accept my humour on this
Old May 20, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR

While it may be true that service animals are not required to wear vests, many do. This is because of how they are trained... when the vest goes on the animal knows it is time to work. It's also why you're not supposed to pet a working animal while the vest is on.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by carlosdca
I wonder how strict AA (airport agents) are with this.
Does everybody that have an emotional support animal really send their documents 48 hours prior to flying? and do the Gate Agents have a way to see that people actually sent in the paper work? Do they check for the documents at check-in at gate and then onboard?
The airport agents at check-in will only let ESANs fly when they have been properly entered into the system and added to the PNR by Special Assistance beforehand. They don't verify the documentation, they just sometimes demand to see it.
The Special Assistance desk does verify the documentation and when they are not happy, they do not authorize the animal. I have a friend who was sent back to her psychiatrist as the documentation didn't include some minutiae detail about where her license was issued. So yes, they do care. (BTW, visits to the therapist to take care of the documentation cost money).
If you turn up at check-in with an ESAN without it being pre-authorized (last minute-bookings), the check-in agent will refer the passenger to contact Special Assistance. If the documentation can be faxed/e-mailed on the spot during Special Assistance's limited business hours and everything is OK, they add the animal and you're good to go. Outside of SAC business hours, no chance.
I have no idea if the gate agents do checks routinely.

The cabin crew on my flights mostly know that I`m coming with a dog. Some even remember her from previous flights, and we get a special welcome. As I said, AA cabin crew mostly are huge dog/animal lovers.
By and large, AA remains the most welcoming airline to us, and that's one big reason why I keep flying them despite all the negative changes to the FFP and the less-than-ideal seating on the newer aircraft.

Yep. Pets have to be in a carrier at all times (it depends on the crews if they look the other way and let it be if passengers take them out mid-flight. They sometimes don't say anything). Also, no carry-on pets allowed on any intercontinental flight. You will see pets only on domestic and Canada/Central America routes. All animals in the cabin on TATL, TPAC and South America flights are service animals or ESANs and travel for free (except if the passenger buys an additional seat, which I do sometimes).

It's mostly apparent from the animal's behavior. Trained service animals don't make a fuss. My dog walks to where we sit (she even mostly remembers where, and always wants to turn left ) without paying attention to anything else, lies down and stays put. No approaching other people, no barking, no jumping, no begging for food etc.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JonNYC
For the record, I am FIRMLY on the VERY skeptical of all these comfort animals we're seeing on board, etc, so, my built-in bias is usually automatically pro-pax-who-doesn't-want-to-sit-next-to-a-dog
I don't like dogs. But I've sat next to pax with genuine service animals who were good as gold. They did not occupy a seat (which IMO is a disgusting prospect, especially for subsequent occupiers). They nestled on the floor and made no moves for the duration of the flight. They did not jump around or relieve themselves. The contrast between them and this bestiary of fake out-of-control support animals is obvious. It's mystifying why the airlines bend over backwards to accommodate the latter.

Originally Posted by The smallest state
I'm pretty sure there is more to this. AA staff wouldn't applaud unless she was being a royal pain in the neck.
Don't be too sure. We don't know. The complainant should not have raised the prospect of an "unplanned stop," which was as a threat. But the account of vindictive FAs applauding her removal is plausible if not verified.

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Everyone is jumping to blame the dogs when the real story here is about an allergy sufferer who thinks the world should revolve around her and her allergy or zoophobia.
If the choice is between discriminating against an undisciplined menagerie in the cabin or people who don't want to travel that way, whether they're zoophobic or not, I'm anti-animal every time.

The pig owner, weasel owner, barfing / crapping dog owner, etc. who thinks "the world should revolve around her" is way more objectionable than the paying customer who wants a modicum of peace and quiet.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
BearX220.

Don't take my words out of context. Quote my whole statement or don't comment on what I said at all.

Do yourself a favor and re-read the last sentence of my post.

Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Q: Did anyone take the time to click and read the follow through link on the original story page? It doesn't seem like it. Everyone is jumping to blame the dogs when the real story here is about an allergy suffer who thinks the world should revolve around her and her allergy or zoophobia.

Here's the link in case you missed it:

9 tips for planning to deal with pet allergies on-board

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ed-flight-cat/

Whether or not the dogs were paid pets, ESA or other - more legitimate - support animals is irrelevant.

A) If you have an extreme allergy to animals or zoophobia. Figure out what works best for you IN ADVANCE. The onus is on you, not the flight crew on the day of the flight to figure out what works best for you.
B) As was said, "What's to say the next flight won't also have dogs that might trigger her allergies and require an unplanned stop?"
C) An attempt to re-accommodate was made. When she found that offer unacceptable she had to go. End of story.
D) It all boils down to the needs of the many (all passengers on that flight) outweigh the needs of the few, or one as the case may be. She had to go when she threatened the potential for an "... unplanned stop" due to a potential allergic reaction (either mental or physical) to the dogs. Clearly the flight arrived safely without her on board or we would have heard about the "vicious dog attack" already and we'd be talking about that in this thread instead of the supposedly "highly allergic" passenger who was removed.

There are people who just simply have an aversion to dogs and simply being in the presence of them makes them physically ill. People who consider a friendly sniff of the dog or a brush of the dogs tail against their body as a physical attack by the dog. Whether or not the first dog did “tried to jump on” her I can't say but I believe the scenario I describe above is a very likely possibility.

Having said that, yes. I agree. The ESA animals are an abuse of the system but that's a topic for another day. This thread should stick to allergy/zoophobia suffers and their interactions with pets on board.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Mostly?

The entire concept of "emotional support animals" (as a special category) is a fraud. These are pets. I would hope most pet owners would say they give and receive emotional support from their pets, but that should be irrelevant in terms of what's allowed on an airplane.

This is, of course, a completely different topic from highly-trained animals who provide legitimate services to disabled people.
I'm just curious, what is your professional qualification such that you feel you can make such blanket settlements? Are we talking a Ph.D. or your gut feelings?

Originally Posted by rickg523
Whether the emotional support need is real or not, if the animal is not trained, it should not ride in the passenger cabin.
But I think we're going to have to see a pit bull attack - maybe on a child - before this gets fixed. And even then, there will be people squealing like stuck pigs about discrimination of some kind.
100% agree. A poorly trained dog has no business in the cabin of a plane. Period.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
A $2 ebay jacket is not enough.

As per AA's website:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ce-animals.jsp

I wonder how strict AA (airport agents) are with this.
Does everybody that have an emotional support animal really send their documents 48 hours prior to flying? and do the Gate Agents have a way to see that people actually sent in the paper work? Do they check for the documents at check-in at gate and then onboard?
We absolutely send this paperwork in, and yes, they check. I can't speak for everyone of course.

The extreme attitudes about ESAs are puzzling to me. My wife has travelled dozens of times with our small dog as her ESA. Not once has anyone said anything; never an issue, never a problem. I think the real issue here is that when you put lots of people in a tin can, with personal space diminished, the opportunity to rub - and be rubbed - the wrong way is generally heightened. It's everyone's responsibility to minimize bother to others, particularly on a plane. If all people had well-trained animals and were generally considerate people, would there even be an issue here? And yet the entire issue always devolves into uninformed, fact-free rants about how ESAs are inherently bogus. All I can say is that I wouldn't wish on anyone the kind of condition that ESAs are there to help ameliorate, even those who make sweeping generalizations on a handful of rotten apples.

Last edited by as219; May 20, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old May 20, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
As my mother also travels with a small emotional support dog, I can guarantee with certainty that at least the following airlines take pre-registration and documentation very seriously and it's a problem if you show up without it:

- AA
- Delta
- JetBlue
Old May 20, 2017, 12:46 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
When I started reading this, I checked that the date was not 1st April. I could not and cannot believe when I am reading. Forgive me for not entering into the realm of discussion as to the relevance of Emotional Support animals. I have never seen this in Europe. I have my own opinion about that but although I am a nurse this is now outside my remit. The only animals that I have ever seen on my carrier were guide dogs for the blind. No one, I think would deny any person that.

I have read in this thread about animals who are either not properly house trained or who are not in proper control. I had heard stories about pigs, but that someone should bring one into an aircraft beggars belief.

If what I read is all true, then it would seem to this outsider that the situation is out of control and I suppose my training makes me wonder why so many people appear to be in need of emotional support of any kind.

I have just read some of the posts out to my husband. He has dealt with the public as long as I have only he was a policeman. His exact words were " Have they all gone mad? How on earth is this allowed on health or any other grounds."
Old May 20, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once a dog jumps onto another passenger (and surely if it urinates or defecates) it and its owner lose priority and should be forced to leave the fuselage if a human passenger objects.
Well behaved support dog should be welcome. But rambunctious housepet - get off.
Allergy issues on public transport are a more nuanced issue and must be dealt with on a case by case basis. Blanket rules will fail in deriving the optimum result.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@ PUCCI GALORE

Flying in America went to hell long before what you see in the images below. This insanity makes it worse.

There are many more examples, but these are just two of the most idiotic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...rt-animal.html

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/30/travel...booted-flight/

Attached Images   
Old May 20, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by 24left
This was obviously meant as humorous and was a particular brilliant bit from WS, but I'm telling you, we're headed this way unless this nonsense stops. (Note the date on this video.)

Enjoy this and have a great weekend.

Introducing WestJet's #FurryFamily program | April Fool's - YouTube
That looks wonderful. I'm only upset when people are lying about their animals being 'emotional support' in order to save on a fee. Or that I can't buy a seat for my labrador retriever and won't lie about it, nor will I trust the cargo hold based on the horror stories.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by as219
If all people had well-trained animals and were generally considerate people, would there even be an issue here?
If animals can be chemically sedated and fully contained in sealed chambers, so that they have absolutely no impact on other passengers, then there would be no issue.

In everything, humans over animals. Period.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lobo411
If animals can be chemically sedated and fully contained in sealed chambers, so that they have absolutely no impact on other passengers, then there would be no issue.

In everything, humans over animals. Period.
Some liberal you turned out to be!
Old May 21, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm surprised that people still make the same basic mistake when attempting to get some sort of preferential outcome to a problem due to a medical condition...

... if you elevate the potential impact of the condition to where there is any doubt about your ability to complete the flight without incident the GA/Crew will have the option, arguably the obligation, to bring the matter to a swift conclusion by removing you from the flight pending medical approval for you to fly, or a flight without the 'problem' element.

It seems to happen time after time and I can hardly blame the airline staff for taking the 'easy' option to solve the immediate issue that is delaying departure...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.