Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dog Allergic J Pax Implies She Might Cause Diversion Due to Dogs, Offloaded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 22, 2017, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SUMMARY OF EVENTS (link):

Passenger flying MIA-LAX on a Boeing 777-300ER on a paid Business Class ticket (all aisle lie flat seat compartments).

"Upon boarding, a passenger seated in the row behind her got on 'with a rather large dog' who she says 'tried to jump on' her" (G Leff). Seeking re accommodation in the cabin, she was shown a seat in the aft of the Business cabin, near a smaller dog. Passenger claims she has allergies.

The passenger's statement as quoted by Gary Leff:

I said to a[.. flight attendant] that I hope we don’t need to make an unplanned stop to which she replied “we don’t want that to happen” I replied that I didn’t want that to happen either.

I returned to my seat and did my best to shield myself from the dog.

A few minutes later the [gate agent] came up to me and said that I had to get off the flight. I thought he was joking but when I realized that he wasn’t, I complied as I know the FAA rules concerning crew member compliance.

As I disembarked, a few of the [flight attendants] were applauding and cheering because I was being removed.
Print Wikipost

Dog Allergic J Pax Implies She Might Cause Diversion Due to Dogs, Offloaded

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does an ESA really need to be trained??? I am not under that impression. Unlike walking a blind person across the street, an animal doesn't really need to "do" much to provide emotional support.

But of course i agree that many many people are abusing the system. Of course if the airlines didn't charge ridiculous fees for carrying on small pets, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kb9522
There's a huge difference between a properly trained animal and an untrained pet. The difference is obvious.
ESAs don't need to be trained.

Everybody is entitled to him own opinion but uninformed opinions are worthless to intelligent debate. Read the relevant CFR - please.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
They may not have to be trained... but they sure as hell do need to be trained.
Old May 31, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by erik123
In 90% of cases (or more) the owner is the ESA for the animal.

In short: "My (nervous) dog get's anxious without me, which in turn makes me anxious, which in turn...etc."
lol ...

I follow your chain of login.

This reminds me of a related pun ... "I smell what you're steppin' in."

It amazes me how this thread took off about ESAs when it really should be about allergy suffers or those with a debilitating fear of animals.

IMHO it's the allergy suffers who need to be trained to know their limitations and consider an alternative form of transportation if it's going to be too much for them to ride on a plane with a dog or two.

Last edited by KenTarmac; May 31, 2017 at 6:23 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most people don't bedazzle their legit ESA.
I don't know "most people" who travel with emotional support animals, so I don't have any data on that.

My BS meter just hit max. You're either blitzed out of your mind or kidding yourself if you don't know that an overwhelming majority of "ESAs" are just pets that people don't want to pay for.
Do you have any numbers or data for that assertion? I'm neither "blitzed out of [my] mind" nor "kidding myself." My posts in this thread are factual, not made up, and reflect the DOT's definition of the various types of animals that the law requires airlines to carry in the cabin.

There's a huge difference between a properly trained animal and an untrained pet. The difference is obvious.
You're right; a properly trained animal in an airplane cabin might very well be a "service animal," the type of animal trained to provide specific services to its human handler. An emotional support animal is merely a pet that travels with a human handler who has been diagnosed with an emotional or mental disability such that their doctor or therapist thinks they should travel with a furry pet to help keep them calm.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Does an ESA really need to be trained??? I am not under that impression. Unlike walking a blind person across the street, an animal doesn't really need to "do" much to provide emotional support.
Exactly correct. ESAs' primary function is to look cute and keep their human handler calm and collected.

But of course i agree that many many people are abusing the system. Of course if the airlines didn't charge ridiculous fees for carrying on small pets, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Again, 100% agreement with you. But since I like dogs and cats, I don't mind how many people bring their animals and I don't concern myself with worrying about who is "cheating" and who really needs their animals.

Here's a sketch of me and my emotional support cat:

My question is this: What sort of training would you deem sufficient for a cat? Ever try to train a cat? Cat sits on lap and purrs. PTSD-suffering human travels in comfort.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Here's a sketch of me and my emotional support cat:

My question is this: What sort of training would you deem sufficient for a cat? Ever try to train a cat? Cat sits on lap and purrs. PTSD-suffering human travels in comfort.
Babou doesn't sit, he scratches and tears up suits (or turtlenecks). So I guess poor choice of cat for your example.

Untrained animals belong in cages under the aircraft, not in the cabin with people. Just because the regulation exists, does not mean I have to be happy about it. This ESA regulation needs to be changed.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
An emotional support animal is merely a pet that travels with a human handler who has been diagnosed with an emotional or mental disability such that their doctor or therapist thinks they should travel with a furry pet to help keep them calm.
Don't forget their anesthesiologist!
Exactly correct. ESAs' primary function is to look cute and keep their human handler calm and collected.
Ooh - can we kick off ugly pets?!
Again, 100% agreement with you. But since I like dogs and cats, I don't mind how many people bring their animals and I don't concern myself with worrying about who is "cheating" and who really needs their animals.
Ok, now, to be fair, you aren't highly allergic, so you really don't need to concern yourself (not withstanding you're a FTer and that's just what we do...).
But those who are allergic have rightful concerns IMO.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:19 am

Completely agree with most of the FTers and Gary here. Pax indicated she's allergic to dogs before takeoff, yet treated like she's the one who made a fuss. If this leads to medical emergency, then it will get even worse.

Definitely feeling bad for the pax and it is mortifying.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
While the usage of ESAs in the US beggars belief, I feel there is more to this story than has been told.

As per the picture upthread - if you are in the seat in front - you have a massive seat between you and the dog.
And why wouldn't you ask nicely to swap with a J seat on the other side of the cabin, or further in front, rather than going all the way to the back in Y.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:55 am

If you want to take your pet on vacation, then you have to pay, sorry
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:03 am

Completely agree with most of the FTers and Gary here. Pax indicated she's allergic to dogs before takeoff, yet treated like she's the one who made a fuss. If this leads to medical emergency, then it will get even worse.

Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky

If you read between the lines of Gary's posts on this, you'll find he doesn't have the posture on this that you might think he does.

The complaining passenger was as much of a pain/problem as the owner(s)/dog(s) in question, and, was certainly in a position (due to her employment) to know better than to the make the implied threat that she did. She gambled, she lost. I bet you'll find even she regrets what she did.

Originally Posted by skylady
If you want to take your pet on vacation, then you have to pay, sorry
^
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Everybody is entitled to him own opinion but uninformed opinions are worthless to intelligent debate. Read the relevant CFR - please.
When I mean trained, they are trained to sit, stay, not jump on people, go to the bathroom outside or at worst on a "pee" pad, not bother other people who may be eating for food, etc...

I am not saying they need to be trained to do a specific task like a service dog does.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
lol ...

I follow your chain of login.

This reminds me of a related pun ... "I smell what you're steppin' in."

It amazes me how this thread took off about ESAs when it really should be about allergy suffers or those with a debilitating fear of animals.

IMHO it's the allergy suffers who need to be trained to know their limitations and consider an alternative form of transportation if it's going to be too much for them to ride on a plane with a dog or two.
Sorry, but no. Dogs < Humans, every time. No human should have to make an exception to their plans because someone wants to bring their dog, and quite frankly you thinking that the dog has more of a right to be there than a human is concerning. And what about when it isn't a dog, but some other animal?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The original issue has been well wrung out, and the thread has settled into the off topic, it-AA-specific and OMNI. I'm no anaesthesiologist, but I'm putting this thread to sleep.

If you wish to continue debating emotional support, service and in-cabin animals vs. humans, please continue in existing OMNI threads.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.