Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Stroller Incident on AA591 SFO>DFW April 21st

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
As I suggested in the post of mine which you quoted: use of passenger name and "other PNR stored items" for the passenger's SFO-DFW flight may be used to try to find at least some of her prior travel history. And my bet is that she's had an AA account, as a large proportion of US-flying Argentines seem to have.

You know it's a secret that there is a field for FFP account info in PNRs, right? That is included by my mention of "other PNR stored items" in the post of mine to which you responded.
The airline has the information, but I would hope that some random FA who might be a buddy of the overly aggressive FA involved in this incident does not.

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Don't insult posters by calling their opinions that happen to differ from yours "delusional."

I'm not suffering from any delusions. I think that if anyone is suffering from delusions, they are people who shrug off years and decades of incidents like these as minor, and then, when the news media finally hits a trifecta of well-videoed examples, shrugs it off as merely an exception.

I'm continuing to posit that these examples are symptoms of the underlying cancer in the airline business these days, and that the airlines themselves will never take the steps necessary to restore civility to their product. So let the government try.

The car makers were just like this in the 60s and 70s. They screamed, delayed, postured, deflected, claimed stuff was "minor," shrugged off incidents, and had to be dragged into headrests, seat belts, air bags, and antilock brakes by...government regulations. It wasn't their gallantry or "doing the right thing" that got safer cars on the road.

Now we need safer airplanes. Not mechanically safer; environmentally safer.
OT, but I think you have the history wrong. Seat belts started to become standard (and mandatory) on USA passenger vehicles in the 1960s, but antilock breaks didn't appear until the 1980s, when they were costly options on higher end vehicles. If they became mandatory, I'm not sure when that happened, but in the 1980s, the cost of this option could be thousands of dollars.

Originally Posted by Andaz5
OH PLEASE STOP IT... why must so many of you blame the victim. Can you believe it there are people out there who don't fly that often and may not know where the stroller goes. Perhaps we should have everyone who is going to fly pass a quiz before they board... just to make sure the know the rules.

Sorry, this is where the Flight Attendant steps in and provides customer service...THIS IS THIER JOB. The American Airlines Staff was in the wrong, from the captain to the flight attendant.
Many FAs and people posting here don't know the rules as we keep saying claims that no stroller of any type is allowed on board. This is wrong for the (small) umbrella style stroller.

I'm not convinced one way or the other whether there are sufficiently small umbrella strollers for twins sold somewhere in the world that fold to a size small enough to be brought on board.

Originally Posted by deskover54
It's not her fault because she didn't know the rules. It's her fault because when told the rules, she decided to ignore them and start looking for a payout.
We don't know if and how she might have been told the rules. If the out of control FA just grabbed the stroller and/or yelled at her and/or got in her face with aggressive hand movements, the response understandably will be very different than if the rule is nicely communicated and explained.

If the mother typically travels outside of the USA or uses other carriers, she might assume that she won't see the stroller again before baggage claim at her destination, which would be a "major pain" as a previous poster (who seems to have experience traveling with kids) describes the situation of long airport walks with one or more kids and all of their paraphernalia.

Originally Posted by Beckles
By all accounts the flight attendant was trying to educate the passenger on what to do with the stroller and that's the route of the problem. I think we all agree that it's the airline crew's job to maintain a professional demeanor in the face of adverse behavior by customers, but I think most would agree sometimes customers behave poorly, and it appears that may have been the case in this situation.

Are we saying that no matter how poorly a passenger acts, that they should not bear any of the blame for a bad situation if the crew behaves poorly? So then a passenger behaving badly should just continue to escalate their poor behavior until they elicit a poor response from the crew, then they can't be blamed! Sounds like a fantastic plan.
Based on what we saw of the FAs behavior in front of the captain, I'm going to hypothesize that the FA routinely behaves even worse to passengers when the captain isn't observing the interaction. Indeed, there have been reports that this FA has behaved badly on different days, on different flights, in different situations, and with different passengers.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by trajanc
It's not what the lawyer said. He didn't say it specifically either way. Least not in clips I've seen. Google Demetrio Today show. If anyone finds a clip where he is more specific let us know.
Oh for goodness sake, that is EXACTLY what he said. Did you even watch it? At 1:02 of the attached video, the female host asks him point blank "did she get hit by the stroller?" and Demetreo responds "She did not. She did not".
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...cident-n750081

I don't know how much more unequivocal he can possibly be. Her child did not get hit by the stroller. She did not get hit by the stroller. Period.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by TWA884
Both the woman and her lawyer, Mr. Demetrio, have a financial stake in the outcome of the lawsuit they are about to file.
IANAL but I believe that's the point of a lawsuit.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:47 am

Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, telling the other FA that you want to make a complaint is likely to get you thrown off the flight. In fact, you can be kicked off by crew even if they think/believe/fear that you might file a complaint or if they remember you from some earlier flight where a complaint was made.

FAs tend to protect their own. They will not tell you their colleagues' (first) names when you ask, no matter how justified. GAs behave the same way even when they obviously think that their colleague is seriously wrong.
Agree, it's a blue code of silence. The law is far too vague as far as what actually constitutes "interference with a flight crew."
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:59 am

By all accounts the flight attendant was trying to educate the passenger on what to do with the stroller and that's the route of the problem. I think we all agree that it's the airline crew's job to maintain a professional demeanor in the face of adverse behavior by customers, but I think most would agree sometimes customers behave poorly, and it appears that may have been the case in this situation.

Are we saying that no matter how poorly a passenger acts, that they should not bear any of the blame for a bad situation if the crew behaves poorly? So then a passenger behaving badly should just continue to escalate their poor behavior until they elicit a poor response from the crew, then they can't be blamed! Sounds like a fantastic plan.
Given the obvious anger management issues that FA has, do you really think he was patiently trying to explain anything or in any way assist the woman? I sure don't.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Annerk
Given the obvious anger management issues that FA has, do you really think he was patiently trying to explain anything or in any way assist the woman? I sure don't.
In the video I've seen I see a busy-body passenger threatening to 'knock him on his ...' to illicit his response. Of course he should have reacted more calmly, but he also shouldn't be threatened in such a manner by a passenger. I have not seen any evidence that leads me to believe the FA wasn't 'in any way trying to assist the woman' before the situation escalated.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I disagree. AA's response means they will owe her little, if anything, in a lawsuit.

UA, on the other hand, will be strung out to dry and they totally deserve it.
I tend to agree with this. AA has handled this situation fairly well and I don't really see any grounds for a huge-payday lawsuit. AA accepted responsibility, suspended the FA (hopefully that's code for "we're going to fire his ... as soon as we work it through the union"), and took good care of the passenger. No passenger was beaten, hospitalized, or blamed for the incident.

Far cry from cops beating the sh** out of a 69-year-old man and then the United CEO saying "he got what he deserved." Today's revelation of the police report, which reads like every other police report after cops have beaten the sh** out of someone (a mix of "he resisted" and "he fell and that's how he broke his face") does not help matters at all.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:35 am

[/LIST]
In the video I've seen I see a busy-body passenger threatening to 'knock him on his ...' to illicit his response. Of course he should have reacted more calmly, but he also shouldn't be threatened in such a manner by a passenger. I have not seen any evidence that leads me to believe the FA wasn't 'in any way trying to assist the woman' before the situation escalated.
I have personally seen that FA be abusive to a passenger, therefore I have no reason to think he was anything but abusive to her. Before the merger I used to regularly hand out US Above and Beyond cards. After the merger, not a single one.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm not advocating torches and pitchforks, but think there is a pattern with the eyewitness accounts worth noticing:

(a.) There are no fewer than three confirmed eyewitness accounts of the incident, and to my knowledge they all seem to side with the mother and the man.
(b.) There is only "eyewitness account" that seems to side with AA flight crew.
(c.) The reason I used scare quotes for "eyewitness account", is because it is anonymous and unverified.
(d.) The confirmed eyewitnesses all seem to largely agree in their accounts, while the anonymous account contradict the verified ones (and even contradicts the video in some aspects).

NO, telling the other FA that you want to make a complaint is likely to get you thrown off the flight. In fact, you can be kicked off by crew even if they think/believe/fear that you might file a complaint or if they remember you from some earlier flight where a complaint was made.
This is a problem. This is not right.

Last edited by judolphin; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by apodo77
Without video of the stroller grab hard to draw any conclusions about that.
+1

I have two observations.

1) I cannot imagine what kind of attitude a person might have after trying to get through checkin and security with two toddlers alone. Her stress level must have been in overdrive!

2) How did this alleged contact of the stroller on the head of the mother occur? She's holding two babies in her hands in the pictures, and the story is the agent grabbed the stroller and it almost hit her head? How was the mother holding on to the two kids and a folded up stroller such that it could hit her head, if she's got the two kids in her hands.

Something doesn't make sense. Who is the source of the story about the pax getting hit on the head that makes this all so sensational (in addition to the interloping male passenger, who just needed to stay in his seat and was not helpful in defusing anything, and certainly not needed with the captain presiding over the discussions).

I do note that on a LAS-SFO flight yesterday, an elderly guy was putting his metal cane into the overhead and accidentally popped the guy sitting below with the cane on the top of his head. Accidents do happen like that without any ill intent.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Today's revelation of the police report, which reads like every other police report after cops have beaten the sh** out of someone (a mix of "he resisted" and "he fell and that's how he broke his face") does not help matters at all.
It doesn't read like every other police report after police abuse - it's worse (which I didn't think was possible). "I'm providing this report 'under duress,'" when he doesn't claim that anybody told him what to say or pressured him to say one thing or another, or anything except his own accurate recollections. He's only writing down what he claims to be the truth because he's being forced to.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
Oh for goodness sake, that is EXACTLY what he said. Did you even watch it? At 1:02 of the attached video, the female host asks him point blank "did she get hit by the stroller?" and Demetreo responds "She did not. She did not".

I don't know how much more unequivocal he can possibly be. Her child did not get hit by the stroller. She did not get hit by the stroller. Period.
I wonder what's going on here. The lawyer represents the mother, yet he seems to say on network TV that she has no case. Since he seems to be very smart, I suspect that there's something deeper at work here. [I hope the lawyer isn't selling out the mother in favor of Dr. Dao somehow, which I assume would be unethical.]
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I wonder what's going on here. The lawyer represents the mother, yet he seems to say on network TV that she has no case. Since he seems to be very smart, I suspect that there's something deeper at work here. [I hope the lawyer isn't selling out the mother in favor of Dr. Dao somehow, which I assume would be unethical.]
Perhaps PTSD resulting from AA failure to properly screen FA for anger management issues? I wouldn't fly with this FA, and I wasn't on the flight in question. (Yes, there are a few FAs on my personal "do not fly" list. I will off-load when they are crewed because I believe flying with them is unsafe)

The mother here may not be looking for a payout as much as altruistic resolution. Her objective could be to demonstrate that federal regulation is needed as her incident following the UA event shows a lack of customer service in the US airline industry to a level where the airlines are creating unsafe environments.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface

I watched an excerpt on YouTube. Thanks for the full video. Interesting. If that's the case then I wonder what happened to her forehead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.