Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Actually it's AT (Royal Air Maroc) not AY (Finn Air)
Same answer

Enjoy the FL!
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Traveling to CUN today out of D. Will I have FL access?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Pretty sure the answer is no unless you have a non-AA OWS card. Mexico gets you AC access.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 2, 2022 at 10:52 am Reason: Removed reference to wrong thread
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
No, you will not have access. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

Gotta fly to...
  • South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela)
...to be on an eligible ticket for FL entry with OW status.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 2, 2022 at 10:52 am Reason: Removed reference to wrong thread
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by econometrics
No, you will not have access. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

Gotta fly to...
  • South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname and Venezuela)
...to be on an eligible ticket for FL entry with OW status.
Digging deeper into the wiki I see:

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 2, 2022 at 10:53 am Reason: Removed reference to wrong thread
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Pretty sure I know the answer to this but want to confirm as there is generally language in OW lounge access related to departing/arriving on the qualifying flight for lounge access.

I have a whirlwind of an itinerary GRU(F) -MIA-JFK (one ticket) and then JFK-ORD-XXX (separate ticket) the same day. Would I have access in ORD to FL as I have a qualifying same day flight and connecting OW flight (AA) flight the same day, albeit, at a different connection airport?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by safari ari
Pretty sure I know the answer to this but want to confirm as there is generally language in OW lounge access related to departing/arriving on the qualifying flight for lounge access.

I have a whirlwind of an itinerary GRU(F) -MIA-JFK (one ticket) and then JFK-ORD-XXX (separate ticket) the same day. Would I have access in ORD to FL as I have a qualifying same day flight and connecting OW flight (AA) flight the same day, albeit, at a different connection airport?
Shouldn't be any problem to access the ORD FL, just make sure to save your GRU-MIA boarding pass to show for entry.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
Had an equipment change(no notice) on my dads lax to bos flight in J its not flagship lie-flat anymore but does he still get flagship lounge?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Amil
Had an equipment change(no notice) on my dads lax to bos flight in J its not flagship lie-flat anymore but does he still get flagship lounge?
Is this a last minute change or a change far in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
That’s an interesting question. I’d scan the boarding pass and see what happens. Given that this was last minute and the route is always a 321T, the FL agents should be accommodating so long as he makes it clear what happened.

As an aside - perhaps this is AA’s first test to see if they can remove lie flats to Boston (mostly kidding).
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Is this a last minute change or a change far in advance.
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
That’s an interesting question. I’d scan the boarding pass and see what happens. Given that this was last minute and the route is always a 321T, the FL agents should be accommodating so long as he makes it clear what happened.

As an aside - perhaps this is AA’s first test to see if they can remove lie flats to Boston (mostly kidding).
Today's AA2453 have been Oasis'ed as far as I see.
I assume that the agents would honor lounge access as that route is originally a Flagship route.

Since the originally assigned aircraft is flying right at this moment ( N103NN ) from BOS to LAX and now assigned to tomorrow mornings LAX-BOS service, more importantly, the issue should be why AA decided to change the a/c to an Oasis configured for this flight.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:10 pm

Today's AA2453 have been Oasis'ed as far as I see.
I assume that the agents would honor lounge access as that route is originally a Flagship route.

Since the originally assigned aircraft is flying right at this moment ( N103NN ) from BOS to LAX and now assigned to tomorrow mornings LAX-BOS service, more importantly, the issue should be why AA decided to change the a/c to an Oasis configured for this flight.
Yes tonights flight with no notice. I specifically booked this route for my 75yo father to toronto because of the 321T. When I saw the seat number I thought he was upgraded to F from J little did I realize it was a swap for 321. I just hope they provide blankets and pillows like they do on the MIA-LAX A321 I took home recently.

But back to lounge if I was there id make sure they let me into FL but my dad probably doenst even know what FL vs Admirals is. hopefully he made it through i'll report back.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Yes. At least, I was on that flight as well, and I did indeed get into the FL.

Interesting. I'd like to know that as well. To AA's credit, a $600 voucher from AA appeared in my email without any explanation, which I presume is because of the change from lie-flat F to recliner J. In any case, I told them no thanks, and I will take the flight tomorrow with a bed
Global321, ryanbriar and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp

Interesting. I'd like to know that as well. To AA's credit, a $600 voucher from AA appeared in my email without any explanation, which I presume is because of the change from lie-flat F to recliner J. In any case, I told them no thanks, and I will take the flight tomorrow with a bed
At least they sent something. Another alternative could have been to see if they could put you on Mint, but I’m sure availability and timing were both tight given a last minute change.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp

wow. my dad is a 1 million gold and got no compensation or and pretty bad response from AA Customer Relations:

Hello *****:

Thank you for contacting us pertaining to your flight yesterday to Boston.

*****, I have reviewed the flight history for AA 2453 and it seems that the aircraft originally scheduled to operate your flight could not be used as planned. There was no better alternative than to substitute the aircraft. Most of the time, equipment changes occur last minute and we rather switch planes then delay our passengers whenever possible.

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us, *****. Your comments give us the opportunity to improve and we are grateful for the benefit of your perspective. Thank you again for reaching out to us and we appreciate you being part of our AAdvantage® family. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you on board another American Airlines flight again soon.

Sincerely,

Albert Perry
Customer Relations
American Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.