Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old May 29, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
Rudeness is so unnecessary. I'm sorry that happened to you.
Agreed, that's unfortunate. Did your ticket say OW Sapphire or did you have any other documentation? I get how they wouldn't take someone's word for it but they shouldn't make such a song and dance about looking it up.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Later this month I'm flying DOH-DFW, then DFW-CLE both in biz, but on separate PNR. Same day. Will this still allow flagship lounge access?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Later this month I'm flying DOH-DFW, then DFW-CLE both in biz, but on separate PNR. Same day. Will this still allow flagship lounge access?
Yes you would get into DFW FL no problem because of the QR J flight. You just need a way to get airside/onward flight on a OW carrier which you have with your DFW-CLE flight.
Surface Interval likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy
Agreed, that's unfortunate. Did your ticket say OW Sapphire or did you have any other documentation? I get how they wouldn't take someone's word for it but they shouldn't make such a song and dance about looking it up.
If it’s similar to how I use my RAM status (EXP on the actual ticket), then yeah you need to use the virtual card / instruct the agent to key it into the computer using “AT” as the identifier. I’ve learned to state that I have non-AA OWS when trying to enter clubs (ex. ACs) on domestic tickets to get in front of the inevitable comment that I can’t access the club.

Only places where I’ve had significant pushback were the LAX TBIT Business lounge (agent didn’t believe RAM was a real airline until we both went thru the computer screen) and the BA PHL lounge, where the agent tried to enforce their own rules. Haven’t had a chance to use it at the ORD / MIA / DFW FLs.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
AC question, my wife is flying alone with a 3 hour layover at DFW. I have an AX Aspire with a $250 AA credit which, now 500 mile upgrades are out, we will only use for AC day passes (she is Gold so was able to secure a decent seat/carry on luggage). Do I have to be with her if she carries the AX card?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
If it’s similar to how I use my RAM status (EXP on the actual ticket), then yeah you need to use the virtual card / instruct the agent to key it into the computer using “AT” as the identifier. I’ve learned to state that I have non-AA OWS when trying to enter clubs (ex. ACs) on domestic tickets to get in front of the inevitable comment that I can’t access the club.

Only places where I’ve had significant pushback were the LAX TBIT Business lounge (agent didn’t believe RAM was a real airline until we both went thru the computer screen) and the BA PHL lounge, where the agent tried to enforce their own rules. Haven’t had a chance to use it at the ORD / MIA / DFW FLs.
I've used RAM OWS status to access LAX T4, ORD and JFK; no trouble getting into any of them (including on arrival at JFK) although I did have to tell the ORD agent what the RAM carrier code is lol.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kmandrew
AC question, my wife is flying alone with a 3 hour layover at DFW. I have an AX Aspire with a $250 AA credit which, now 500 mile upgrades are out, we will only use for AC day passes (she is Gold so was able to secure a decent seat/carry on luggage). Do I have to be with her if she carries the AX card?
Day pass availability is hit or miss.

W/r/r the credit card — I’d say it comes down to whether the agent will check if she is the cardholder. It looks like passes can be purchased online here so you may want to consider purchasing in advance with your card while logged into her account.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Day pass availability is hit or miss.

W/r/r the credit card — I’d say it comes down to whether the agent will check if she is the cardholder. It looks like passes can be purchased online here so you may want to consider purchasing in advance with your card while logged into her account.
This is great, I never knew you could buy day passes in advance - I always bought 500 mile upgrades with any credit left over.
So I should login to my account, buy 3 passes, than log in to my wife’s account to buy the 4th pass, of course, charge to the Aspire?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew
This is great, I never knew you could buy day passes in advance - I always bought 500 mile upgrades with any credit left over.
So I should login to my account, buy 3 passes, than log in to my wife’s account to buy the 4th pass, of course, charge to the Aspire?
I think that should work. You may want to test one to ensure that the coding of the charge is such that the reimbursement automatically goes through.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:21 am
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Will be traveling DFW-JFK-LHR in J. This will be an overnight connection in JFK.
As i read the rules, this will preclude me from Flagship lounge access departing DFW, as I will not be on a "same-day" flagship-eligible flight, correct?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DreAAmliner
Will be traveling DFW-JFK-LHR in J. This will be an overnight connection in JFK.
As i read the rules, this will preclude me from Flagship lounge access departing DFW, as I will not be on a "same-day" flagship-eligible flight, correct?
By the rules yes, but assuming everything is on the same itinerary I've never been denied FL access in cases like this where the connecting flight is the day before/after the qualifying flight.

When you check in just had them your BP and say something like "on the way to London", they will scan it and should wave you in.
ER-One likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
I’ve learned to state that I have non-AA OWS when trying to enter clubs (ex. ACs) on domestic tickets to get in front of the inevitable comment that I can’t access the club.
Same. I finally ordered a physical card from BA as using the electronic BA card for entry was cumbersome when combined with my electronic BP. But I've found stating that I'd like to use my BA Emerald benefits for FL entrance, as I scan my BP, makes all the difference.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Tack
Same. I finally ordered a physical card from BA as using the electronic BA card for entry was cumbersome when combined with my electronic BP. But I've found stating that I'd like to use my BA Emerald benefits for FL entrance, as I scan my BP, makes all the difference.
Hmm, I’ve flown a bunch of domestic and North American intl routes lately and have had no problem accessing ACs and FLs (albeit I’ve only used the JFK and DFW FLs lately so can’t attest to MIA, LAX, and ORD) with my QR OWE attached to my itinerary. No questions or anything. Both using paper and digital BPs as well.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by fender5787
Hmm, I’ve flown a bunch of domestic and North American intl routes lately and have had no problem accessing ACs and FLs (albeit I’ve only used the JFK and DFW FLs lately so can’t attest to MIA, LAX, and ORD) with my QR OWE attached to my itinerary. No questions or anything. Both using paper and digital BPs as well.
I'm sorry, I should have clarified, I am still using my AAdvantage number on domestic flights, so my statement to FL staff is when I present a BP with the EXP number attached. But you are correct, JFK and DFW are very accommodating, and really now that I have a physical card I don't need to say anything. Force of habit I guess. Cheers!
fender5787 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:02 pm

I had a recent experience where BA canceled my flight and AA rebooked me on another BA flight. My OWS was omitted for that leg. Just had to show my app status which took a bit for the agent to verify the OW lounges in LHR. But all good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.