Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Aug 10, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
. Out of curiosity, what was their rationale?

As noted above, you should be good to go and should have the FL access page handy (and the OW lounge finder) in the very off chance you get pushback.
Although that should work to have the paperwork ready I myself pulled up both pages on my phone when I got wrongly denied (paid $150 to enter and 6 weeks later finally AC customer service gave me a credit back) it meant nothing to them. 3 morons plus a supervisor all didnt care to read what I had and simply just showed me their screens where LAX-SFO wasnt listed as a premium Transcon route. Seriously how stupid. Like every single possible connection to a Transcon route is going to be listed. I cant explain how dumb they were.

My point is just if you get some totally clueless person or just someone who wants to be difficult the paper wont matter. However, I do recommend having AC customer service number ready and as long as its during open hours call them b/c they will help with speaking to an agent.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I see the data points on BA F arrival at MIA getting FFD access but has anyone heard if that is the same with DFW? Looking at a flight in November in BA F connecting in DFW and curious to see if I'd get FFD access on the connection.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by nc203
I see the data points on BA F arrival at MIA getting FFD access but has anyone heard if that is the same with DFW? Looking at a flight in November in BA F connecting in DFW and curious to see if I'd get FFD access on the connection.
This is all that merky area between the new AA rules from the press release in March, which are totally confusing & vague. And also just the overall confusion with arriving lounge access but yes you should have access. The special arrangement with CX at JFK just as an example was departing only and it was pretty actually on that. However I believe now its any OW F flight gets FFD but again AA says "qualifying flight" so they can decide as they wish I guess.

Do report back
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:45 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
. Out of curiosity, what was their rationale?

As noted above, you should be good to go and should have the FL access page handy (and the OW lounge finder) in the very off chance you get pushback.
No rationale, gave them the same information I posted here and was told "the ticket would not qualify for lounge access". I'll have the documentation ready, and will ask for a supervisor if needed! Thanks again for the help.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Citi Exec, Amex Plat- Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
FL in PHL

Any word on when the FL will open in PHL?
Spanish likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MiamiMike
Any word on when the FL will open construction will begin in PHL?
Fixed it for you.

In all seriousness the PHL FL is nowhere remotely close to opening. The latest report I'm aware of over in the PHL lounge thread from earlier this summer says they just re-started the demo work with an opening target of Q3 2023. So probably Q4 2023 or Q1 2024? Who knows.

PHL / Philadelphia Admirals Clubs & Lounges (master thread)
Old Aug 11, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
In the case of LAX-BOS Flagship Transcon, will a "J" boarding pass get you access to the BOS AC upon arrival where there is no FL? No onward flights TIA RT
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roadtriper
In the case of LAX-BOS Flagship Transcon, will a "J" boarding pass get you access to the BOS AC upon arrival where there is no FL? No onward flights TIA RT
Yep.
roadtriper likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
AS is a full OW member. So the OP should have access to the FL during his/her transit in LAX.
Would this also apply to the AS lounge on arrival?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Would this also apply to the AS lounge on arrival?
At LAX, yes, since he is flying Alaska Domestic First Class and Alaska has their own policy admitting their First Class passengers to their own lounges which is not a OW policy so doesn't cover AA or other OW lounges at LAX but as mentioned earlier, the OP could access to the OW Business Lounge or AA Flagship Lounge upon identifying his BA J boarding pass alongside with his AS boarding pass.

At FAT, there is no lounge so no access but if there was an AS Lounge, the answer would be no, since lounge access on arrival is not a OW policy but an AA policy and the OP is connecting from BA to AS.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Is JFK FL still selling FFD upgrade for $100?
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by nologic
Is JFK FL still selling FFD upgrade for $100?
FFD buy-up was always $150 at JFK. IIRC, only DFW FFD was discounted to $100. No idea if it's still being offered, although AA no longer mentions the FFD buy-up on its website (it was removed during COVID when the FL/FFD was closed).

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:08 pm

Hello, I'm looking at SFO-LAX-BOS, and I'm confused as to whether this LAX-BOS segment is a FFD qualifying flight. I'm looking at a relatively cheap First seat on a 3 class 32B. But the website doesn't include the usual "Flagship" language.

Can I go to the FFD at LAX with this itinerary? Or has AA unbundled 3 class First from Flagship Lounge access?

If I search aa for LAX-BOS AA 382 (same segment as below) does show as Flagship.

Is this an official flagship itinerary?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rhg247
Hello, I'm looking at SFO-LAX-BOS, and I'm confused as to whether this LAX-BOS segment is a FFD qualifying flight. I'm looking at a relatively cheap First seat on a 3 class 32B. But the website doesn't include the usual "Flagship" language.

Can I go to the FFD at LAX with this itinerary? Or has AA unbundled 3 class First from Flagship Lounge access?

If I search aa for LAX-BOS AA 382 (same segment as below) does show as Flagship.

Is this an official flagship itinerary?
There is no such thing as the usual "Flagship" language. Sometimes it shows up on aa.com depending on what/how your search and sometimes it doesn't. AA is horribly inconsistent and confusing in this regard.

In any event, if you're booked on LAX-BOS in 3-class F then it's definitely a "Flagship" flight regardless of whether "Flagship" shows up in the search results or not. So you can definitely use FFD at LAX if it has reopened by the time of your flight.
rhg247, wrp96 and simonsuo like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There is no such thing as the usual "Flagship" language. Sometimes it shows up on aa.com depending on what/how your search and sometimes it doesn't. AA is horribly inconsistent and confusing in this regard.

In any event, if you're booked on LAX-BOS in 3-class F then it's definitely a "Flagship" flight regardless of whether "Flagship" shows up in the search results or not. So you can definitely use FFD at LAX if it has reopened by the time of your flight.
Thanks. That's what I assumed, but you never know what AA may have cooked up to further "enhance" my traveling experience And... you just saved me $130. I glanced at the lounge page and saw that the LAX FL was open, but completely overlooked the part that FFD is still closed.

A J seat will be just fine if no FFD is available.

Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.