Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM CK, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
FFD buy-up was always $150 at JFK. IIRC, only DFW FFD was discounted to $100. No idea if it's still being offered, although AA no longer mentions the FFD buy-up on its website (it was removed during COVID when the FL/FFD was closed).

-FlyerBeek
I asked the JFK staff a few months back when I had a long layover and was told that it is not being offered at this time.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Originally Posted by rhg247
Thanks. That's what I assumed, but you never know what AA may have cooked up to further "enhance" my traveling experience And... you just saved me $130. I glanced at the lounge page and saw that the LAX FL was open, but completely overlooked the part that FFD is still closed.

A J seat will be just fine if no FFD is available.

Cheers!
Good call, was going to mention that with no FFD there isnt much to differentiate. You just have a seat mate is all in J. I've been going to BOS lately to save money then hopping down to JFK, on the same A321T all 3 times. In that scenario the F up charge is worth it b/c of FFD at JFK.
rhg247 and ryanbriar like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi, OW Sapphire here. Flying AA metal BA ticketed JFK T8 - LHR in W.

Am I right in thinking that gets me FL access? Debating switching to BA @ T7 for pre flight dining.

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TheChangingMan
Hi, OW Sapphire here. Flying AA metal BA ticketed JFK T8 - LHR in W.

Am I right in thinking that gets me FL access? Debating switching to BA @ T7 for pre flight dining.

Thanks!
Yep no problem to access the FL as a Sapphire flying JFK-LHR.
TheChangingMan likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Is my understanding correct that F (or J or whatever they classify it) on a 789 between DFW-OGG qualifies for FL access?
What about on redeye OGG-DFW as it arrives after 6AM +1 with a AA connection out of DFW?

Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by seawolf
Is my understanding correct that F (or J or whatever they classify it) on a 789 between DFW-OGG qualifies for FL access?
What about on redeye OGG-DFW as it arrives after 6AM +1 with a AA connection out of DFW?

Thanks.
Yes. It’s sold as Flagship Business. You will have access in both cases.
seawolf likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I am flying FRA (Germany) to DFW on American in Business J later this year, and then continuing on to LBB. My layover got extended with the November schedule change and I'm hoping to take advantage of the DFW flagship lounge during my layover. Since my ticket only says Business class (J) and not Flagship Business, will I have access to the lounge? Further, will I have access to Flagship Dining? Lastly, will I be able to bring a guest that traveled with me but was in economy (to both the lounge and dining)?

There are pieces of information on the AA site that lead me to both yes and no answers. I apologize in advance if there's an answer I should've seen easily but I appreciate any insight!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lawly
I am flying FRA (Germany) to DFW on American in Business J later this year, and then continuing on to LBB. My layover got extended with the November schedule change and I'm hoping to take advantage of the DFW flagship lounge during my layover. Since my ticket only says Business class (J) and not Flagship Business, will I have access to the lounge? Further, will I have access to Flagship Dining? Lastly, will I be able to bring a guest that traveled with me but was in economy (to both the lounge and dining)?

There are pieces of information on the AA site that lead me to both yes and no answers. I apologize in advance if there's an answer I should've seen easily but I appreciate any insight!
You will get access to the Flagship Lounge but not Flagship First Dining (that's only if you were in International First). As a oneworld sapphire you can bring one guest.
lawly likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FRA-DFW in business class is "Flagship" regardless of whether that is or isn't listed anywhere on your itinerary or receipt. It's confusing as hell, don't get me started.

Flying FRA-DFW-LBB in business you can definitely use the Flagship Lounge during your connection but not Flagship Dining. But you cannot bring a guest unless you have Sapphire or Emerald status with AA or another oneworld program.
lawly likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
So the only international first with AA is LHR to JFK? It'd have to be another oneworld airline otherwise I guess.

I am Platinum now and will be PlatPro by then so the guest should be fine then. Thanks for the quick responses
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So the only international first with AA is LHR to JFK? It'd have to be another oneworld airline otherwise I guess.

I am Platinum now and will be PlatPro by then so the guest should be fine then. Thanks for the quick responses
Post covid To Europe it's JFK, MIA, DFW, LAX to LHR. There's typically 1 or 2 flights to South America with F also depending on the season (looks like MIA-GRU in the fall). Basically wherever the 77W is scheduled internationally.
lawly likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I will take an AA DFW-CUN flight this month. I believe the flight didn't qualify to enter flagship lounge with EXP status before, but I found this under Admiral Club Access at aa.com.

Qualifying AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro® and AAdvantage Platinum® members

For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Includes customers on qualifying departing or arriving international flights marketed and operated by American. a oneworld®airline (regardless of cabin), or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American.

What about Flagship Longe access as an EXP for the flight? Do I have an access as an EXP?
If not, can I use AT Gold status (OW Sapphire) even my boarding pass won't show the AT status if I can show a digital membership card?
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I will take an AA DFW-CUN flight this month. I believe the flight didn't qualify to enter flagship lounge with EXP status before, but I found this under Admiral Club Access at aa.com.

Qualifying AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro® and AAdvantage Platinum® members

For a limited time: Starting April 1, 2021, qualifying international flights will include flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico. Includes customers on qualifying departing or arriving international flights marketed and operated by American. a oneworld®airline (regardless of cabin), or marketed by JetBlue and operated by American.

What about Flagship Longe access as an EXP for the flight? Do I have an access as an EXP?
If not, can I use AT Gold status (OW Sapphire) even my boarding pass won't show the AT status if I can show a digital membership card?
you can use Flagship Lounge by simply showing your AY Good status card. Even for purely domestic Itineraries.
having a flight to Mexico (even Mexico City) does not allow you to enter Flagship lounge regardless of cabin
MrJBoy and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Yes. OW Sapphire works for FL access even if not on the BP. Just need to show them the digital membership card. We do this all the time with BA Silver (OW Sapphire) status and it works like a charm. I always make sure we're still crediting to AA as one time
it got changed to BA.

The only time I've come close to having an issue was with a less experienced agent at the FL who was not as familiar with other OW member levels. A more senior agent came by and made it all work.

Cheers.
MrJBoy and Antarius like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by gateH15
you can use Flagship Lounge by simply showing your AY Good status card. Even for purely domestic Itineraries.
having a flight to Mexico (even Mexico City) does not allow you to enter Flagship lounge regardless of cabin
Actually it's AT (Royal Air Maroc) not AY (Finn Air)
ryanbriar likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.