Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger FlagshipŽ Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the FlagshipŽ Lounges (but reduced access to FlagshipŽ Dining within the FlagshipŽ Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new FlagshipŽ Lounges (not to be confused with FlagshipŽ Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantageŽ Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworldŽ Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as FlagshipŽ between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: FlagshipŽ First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to FlagshipŽ First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: FlagshipŽ First Class and FlagshipŽ Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the FlagshipŽ cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by danwer930
Hi there,

Apologies if this has been asked already - I didn't see it come up in a quick search.

I'm a Platinum Pro traveling later this week from JFK-MEL as follows:

JFK-LAX (AA) in Y
LAX-SYD (AA) in J
SYD-MEL (QF) in J

I know I'm eligible to use the Flagship Lounge in LAX during my layover there, but as I am connecting to an int'l business flight on the same itinerary on the same day, does that mean I'm ALSO eligible to use the Flagship Lounge in JFK, even though my first leg is in Y?
yea you are eligible for FL access in JFK and LAX. Also Qantas lounge in Sydney

Thanks so much!
Daniel
Old May 13, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danwer930
Hi there,

Apologies if this has been asked already - I didn't see it come up in a quick search.

I'm a Platinum Pro traveling later this week from JFK-MEL as follows:

JFK-LAX (AA) in Y
LAX-SYD (AA) in J
SYD-MEL (QF) in J

I know I'm eligible to use the Flagship Lounge in LAX during my layover there, but as I am connecting to an int'l business flight on the same itinerary on the same day, does that mean I'm ALSO eligible to use the Flagship Lounge in JFK, even though my first leg is in Y?

Thanks so much!
Daniel
Yes. Enjoy!
Old May 15, 2019, 12:55 pm

Can you purchase a pass for the flagship lounge at JFK? I'm seeing no...
Old May 15, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by jayoxd
Can you purchase a pass for the flagship lounge at JFK? I'm seeing no...
there are no passes available to purchase for any FL. You can purchase day pass to access some admirals clubs.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, contrary to popular opinion on FT, your statement is almost universally of almost all airline clubs, of whatever variety (other than literally a few in the world that you can count on one hand)

It never ceases to amaze and perplex me the amount of emotional energy that people expend obsessing about getting into these clubs (e.g. status chasing, scheduling bizarrely long and unnecessary layovers, literally picking bizarre routings just to visit a club, etc.)

But to each their own I suppose...

Regards
Completely agree,, I remember a few years back someone complaining they missed a delayed flight (that ended up going out earlier than the delayed time) because they had trekked back to the Centurion Lounge. When I first started traveling heavily there was allure to going to the lounge. I remember asking my boss at the time if she wanted to come in with me when were on a trip together. She declined, and I couldn't understand why. Now I'm happy to have it when I need it, but certainly wouldn't arrive at the airport JUST to go to a lounge, but I will go if I get to the airport earlier because of other circumstances (e.g., leaving earlier to not sit in heavy traffic).
Old May 25, 2019, 2:09 pm

Flying from LHR Business Class on a Thursday and arriving at DFW at 12:45 PM. I overnight at DFW and leave the next morning at 10:40 AM for GDL. Will I be able to use either the AC or Flagship lounge that morning since it's under 24 hours from my trans-Atlantic flight? I know GDL doesn't qualify. Couldn't find that info in the Wiki. Thanks in advance.
Old May 25, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa
Flying from LHR Business Class on a Thursday and arriving at DFW at 12:45 PM. I overnight at DFW and leave the next morning at 10:40 AM for GDL. Will I be able to use either the AC or Flagship lounge that morning since it's under 24 hours from my trans-Atlantic flight? I know GDL doesn't qualify. Couldn't find that info in the Wiki. Thanks in advance.
you get lounge access next day if your flight is before 6am. Unfortunately you will only have lounge access in LHR
Old May 25, 2019, 2:35 pm

Oh, well. Thanks!
Old May 25, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gringa
I would hang on to your inbound BP and at least try for FL/AC access in the morning. Doesn't cost anything.
Global321 and Gringa like this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: JAL Global Club; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite; World of Hyatt Globalist
If I credit my AA domestic Y flight to my AA#, may I show my BA Sapphire card and my boarding pass to get into the flagship lounge?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: JAL Global Club; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum Elite; World of Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zpaul
You won't have a problem, they know the rules very well - as a non-AA Emerald you do have access. I have both AA and QF Emerald so I enter the Flagship Lounges when flying Y domestically every trip and never have a problem, even when crediting the flight to AA, just show my QF card.
This is great information to know.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:03 pm

Flagship Lounge access question

I researched this a bit and still wasn't quite clear.

As a Platinum, do I have access to Flagship lounges (and any Admirals Club) when flying to Central America? Even when flying on a coach ticket?

A Citi Executive World Elite Mastercard with Admirals Club membership does NOT grant Flagship access, correct?

The only time Platinum status grants me Admirals club access is when I am flying on a domestic first class ticket?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Not sure of the answer to your primary question. I think it depends on where in Central America.

However, the Citi Executive World Elite MasterCard does not grant Flagship access, and status never grants Admiral's Club access on any domestic ticket - only international tickets.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes for flights to Central America Plat, Plat Pro, and EXP get Flagship lounge access regardless of what cabin you are in.

Get access if you’re departing on or connecting to a qualifying international flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworldŽ airline (regardless of cabin).Qualifying international flights

Flights between the U.S. and:
  • Asia
  • Australia
  • Central America
  • Europe
  • Mexico City (MEX)
  • New Zealand
  • South America
Guest access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

Should probably be merged to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...lagship+access
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
However, the Citi Executive World Elite MasterCard does not grant Flagship access, and status never grants Admiral's Club access on any domestic ticket - only international tickets.
Originally Posted by ryan182
Yes for flights to Central America Plat, Plat Pro, and EXP get Flagship lounge access regardless of what cabin you are in.
Thanks guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.