Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship Lounges completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship Dining within the Flagship Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship First Class customers on Americans 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship First Class and Flagship Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Short connection at LAX not planning to visit any lounge although AA 193 is often delayed...
If that is the case, do you have the option for a Same Day Standby? If it were me, I would attempt that just in case something goes FUBAR on the last flight into LAX prior to my connection to HKG.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
If that is the case, do you have the option for a Same Day Standby? If it were me, I would attempt that just in case something goes FUBAR on the last flight into LAX prior to my connection to HKG.
If things go south I will push for a reroute on a CX flight, would MUCH rather be in CX F

looks like only one of the earlier MIA-LAX flights has seats and its bulkhead...ill stick with it as booked.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
LAX-JFK AA Y redeye followed by CX J the next day morning. EP. Flagship - Yay or Nay?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by levistrauss
LAX-JFK AA Y redeye followed by CX J the next day morning. EP. Flagship - Yay or Nay?
Yay
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15
Yay
I believe OP is asking about FL in LAX.

Are you sure an EXP gets access the day before, flying in Y LAX-JFK, connecting to a qualifying flight that leaves after 6am?

One could argue a redeye after 9pm Pacific time is same day as a departure the next day from New York, just curious what the rule is.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Global321

Are you sure an EXP gets access the day before, flying in Y LAX-JFK, connecting to a qualifying flight that leaves after 6am?
Oh sorry. Didnt realize OP was asking about LAX. He wont have access but it doesnt hurt to ask lounge dragons. They make exceptions sometimes
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Global321

One could argue a redeye after 9pm Pacific time is same day as a departure the next day from New York, just curious what the rule is.
Originally Posted by gateH15
Oh sorry. Didn’t realize OP was asking about LAX. He won’t have access but it doesn’t hurt to ask lounge dragons. They make exceptions sometimes
The before 6:00 AM connecting flight rule applies to those qualifying on class of service for lounge access. AA PLT and above flying on a qualifying (for AA) international itinerary don't have this restriction.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:17 am

I will be flying to LAX and meeting up with friends who arrive two hours after I do - also on AA. I have access to both the Flagship and Admiral's Club Lounge, which I am thinking of using upon arrival to LAX while I wait for them.

What will happen to my checked luggage if I do not pick it up instantly upon arrival?

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by mikelan6
I will be flying to LAX and meeting up with friends who arrive two hours after I do - also on AA. I have access to both the Flagship and Admiral's Club Lounge, which I am thinking of using upon arrival to LAX while I wait for them.

What will happen to my checked luggage if I do not pick it up instantly upon arrival?

Thanks.
I'm assuming you're landing domestic because if you land international there's no way to access the FL / go back airside without a BP. In my experience it just gets collected and put in the baggage office for you to retrieve at your convenience. Make sure you keep your bag tags or have ID ready to claim it at the T4 baggage claim AA office
SEA737 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lds89
I'm assuming you're landing domestic because if you land international there's no way to access the FL / go back airside without a BP. In my experience it just gets collected and put in the baggage office for you to retrieve at your convenience. Make sure you keep your bag tags or have ID ready to claim it at the T4 baggage claim AA office
Not in LAX, but this has happened to me when I took my sweet time to pick up my luggage.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikelan6

Thanks.
On what basis will you have lounge access?

As to baggage, what lds89 said.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
On what basis will you have lounge access?

As to baggage, what lds89 said.
Thanks everyone for the information.

I am flying MIA-LAX Business Class on the 777-300, which according to aa.com, gives me access.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Mileage run coming up.

I have an idea of what to expect, but would like to double-check as I don't have experience with fancy-pants lounges. I'm one of those all domestic dudes.

ORD-DFW-LAX in J

LAX-JFK in F

Separate tickets as shown above, all departing same day.

I'm aware that on either end of LAX-JFK I get access to FFD (and Qantas F lounge at LAX). Should I get FFD at DFW and FL/check-in at ORD with my same day boarding pass from LAX-JFK? From what I can tell the rules say yes but what is practical?

Last edited by GrumpyYoungMan; Oct 1, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lds89
Agreed on what happens to your bags. Im in a wheelchair and am the last one off and always stop at the lounge on arrival so my bags are long gone from the carousel by the time I get there. In MIA, every few carousels there is a station with the leftover bags so you would need to know which carousel you were on to find your bags. IIRC, LAX is at the office as mentioned above.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:38 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moderator note:

Hi everyone - a few quick reminders...

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules...deratoractions
Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.
If anyone has any questions about potential moderator actions, please send a PM to any of your friendly volunteer mods.

https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#deceptive
Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.
Several posts in this thread have been removed because they advocate openly violating AA company policies and conditions of carriage.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

/Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.