Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:40 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Quick question... Not having much luck with search on my phone.... I am assuming flagship lounge access is permitted at JFK on a connection from Europe in business class to US domestic first (not Transcona). Am I correct?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Quick question... Not having much luck with search on my phone.... I am assuming flagship lounge access is permitted at JFK on a connection from Europe in business class to US domestic first (not Transcona). Am I correct?
Yep, your Europe-JFK flight in business class gets you access. Whether your next flight is in domestic first or economy doesn't matter.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yep, your Europe-JFK flight in business class gets you access. Whether your next flight is in domestic first or economy doesn't matter.

Thanks - have not been to an airport that had a Flagship Lounge that I had access to before and was not sure if it was just an international departures business lounge and we would have to use the Admirals Club.

thanks again!

Last edited by fwfdan; Mar 14, 2020 at 6:15 am
Old Jul 25, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: -
Flying Business Class on AA 300 JFK-LAX which is scheduled to arrive at 11:59PM. Next morning at 7AM I have a separate ticket for LAX-HNL on HA.

If I show up the next morning around 5:30AM do I get access based on transcon access on arrival rule?

Btw, know clubs are closed now, this is for 2021
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jfkcnf
Flying Business Class on AA 300 JFK-LAX which is scheduled to arrive at 11:59PM. Next morning at 7AM I have a separate ticket for LAX-HNL on HA.

If I show up the next morning around 5:30AM do I get access based on transcon access on arrival rule?

Btw, know clubs are closed now, this is for 2021
By the rules, no, since your qualifying transcon flight was the day before.

You could always stop in anyways and try your luck, might get lucky. Who knows how things will be in 2021.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Can anyone tell me how late the shower facilities are open at the Flagship Lounge? Booked on the midnight CX flight and was hoping to freshen up before the flight.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sleuth
Can anyone tell me how late the shower facilities are open at the Flagship Lounge? Booked on the midnight CX flight and was hoping to freshen up before the flight.
Nope. The FL itself isn’t even open.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Nope. The FL itself isn’t even open.
How about when it is open? I’m aware it’s not currently open. Asking about the JFK FL.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
How about when it is open? I’m aware it’s not currently open. Asking about the JFK FL.
No news as to when the FLs are reopening. The AC is open and FL eligible customers can go there, however in NY there is no real food/beverage offerings currently and the showers remain closed as well.

When it does in fact reopen, shower facilities are open during the regular hours of the lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
When it does in fact reopen, shower facilities are open during the regular hours of the lounge.
This was the information I was asking for.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
This was the information I was asking for.
cmd320, robertablake and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Sorry if this was brought up before but is there a time period you can stay in FL/FFD? I am talking of course pre Covid/once it re opens. If I am flying in F from Lax to Jfk on the red eye but then have a flight at 5pm to Boston can I go work out at TWA, check out the hotel but then I can come back a few hours before my flight and get into FL and have lunch in FFD? My BP from the red eye would get me in right? Or is there in fact a time period when your arriving status to FL is nullified? If I never left the lounge and just stayed in from 8am to 5pm I dont believe anyone would walking around looking for me but what about going to TWA for 2-3 hours and coming back?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Sorry if this was brought up before but is there a time period you can stay in FL/FFD? I am talking of course pre Covid/once it re opens. If I am flying in F from Lax to Jfk on the red eye but then have a flight at 5pm to Boston can I go work out at TWA, check out the hotel but then I can come back a few hours before my flight and get into FL and have lunch in FFD? My BP from the red eye would get me in right? Or is there in fact a time period when your arriving status to FL is nullified? If I never left the lounge and just stayed in from 8am to 5pm I dont believe anyone would walking around looking for me but what about going to TWA for 2-3 hours and coming back?
Are you proposing trying to enter twice - once on arrival for breakfast, leave, and then come back in the afternoon before the next flight? Or do you just want to arrive very early for the 5 PM flight, say at 11 AM?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver
Ideally yes I meant enter upon the AA F transcon arrival at 8am, shower, have breakfast at FFD, relax a little...........Go to TWA for 2 hours, check out the hotel and the roof top view and use the gym there......And then yes come back to FL and be able to stay there and have lunch at FFD and relax until the 5pm to Boston.

Are you saying that if I didnt enter upon arrival I would be able to enter after going to TWA but the issue is only being able to enter once? That said, one can leave the lounge to walk the terminal and return no issues.

I was more worried along the lines is there some unwritten (or written) rule that after X amount of hours you have to leave the FL lounge when using it on an arrival BP.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
My BP from the red eye would get me in right?
Yes and no. If your LAX-JFK and JFK-BOS flights are on the same record locator/PNR then yes, not a problem. However, if these are separate tickets (two PNRs) then no, your arriving flight would not get you into FFD. I've done this on my OW AONEn flights a few times when arriving from HKG on CX first and then have a separate roundtrip ticket to DCA (didn't want to waste 2 AONEn segments on a $300 flight) and they would not let me into FFD as these flight segments were on separated record locators/PNRs. The bottom line is when they scan your JFK-BOS boarding pass then they'll see the whole itinerary that's included in that record locator/PNR so if you're traveling on a single ticket no problem IME. I hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.