Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.


Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service


As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

  • New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

  • Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.






Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:08 am
  #796  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: AC E35K. RAM GOLD/ OWS
Posts: 39
FL access for 5yo child as guest

Hello,

I’m a regular Air Canada flyer but I’m booked with AA for YVR-DFW-BJX in October with my wife and 5yo son as the timing/ routing/ price was too good to pass up.

I am OWS with RAM.

I’m hoping to access the FL in DFW with my wife as my guest. Are there any data points for paying for a child to access the FL and not being charged the full $150? That is a lot for a child but I am aware that it’s cheap when technically divided by 3 people.

Thank you in advance.

Paul
PAULO77 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2022, 5:50 am
  #797  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,854
Originally Posted by PAULO77
I’m a regular Air Canada flyer but I’m booked with AA for YVR-DFW-BJX in October with my wife and 5yo son as the timing/ routing/ price was too good to pass up.

I am OWS with RAM.

I’m hoping to access the FL in DFW with my wife as my guest. Are there any data points for paying for a child to access the FL and not being charged the full $150? That is a lot for a child but I am aware that it’s cheap when technically divided by 3 people.
There's no other paid options for accessing the FL other than the $150, it's not pro-rated based on the age of the pax or anything like that.

About the only thing you can hope for is a friendly agent that will let you all in, but that's completely up to the agent.

The FL is nice and all but no way is it worth $150 even for an adult, not sure how long you have but there are lots of decent food and shopping options at DFW to pass the time.
PAULO77 likes this.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:03 am
  #798  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Programs: AC E35K. RAM GOLD/ OWS
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
There's no other paid options for accessing the FL other than the $150, it's not pro-rated based on the age of the pax or anything like that.

About the only thing you can hope for is a friendly agent that will let you all in, but that's completely up to the agent.

The FL is nice and all but no way is it worth $150 even for an adult, not sure how long you have but there are lots of decent food and shopping options at DFW to pass the time.
Thank you for the reply.

It's a 5 hour layover so $50 a person average is acceptable to me. Letting a family of 3.5 people loose with airport food, drink and shopping prices will have expenxive consequences ha ha!

We also have a 10 month old with us so I'll really be testing the good nature of the agent!

I'll post an update after the trip.

Paul
PAULO77 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:27 pm
  #799  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Programs: SWA
Posts: 34
Flying ORD-LGA (first) transfer to JFK-LHR (first flagship)...single reservation same day

Will I be able to use the Flagship lounge in ORD?

No status currently
DOTK is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2022, 12:33 pm
  #800  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 14,920
Originally Posted by DOTK
Flying ORD-LGA (first) transfer to JFK-LHR (first flagship)...single reservation same day

Will I be able to use the Flagship lounge in ORD?

No status currently
Yes you will be able to use the Flagship lounge at ORD by virtue of your JFK-LHR first same day booking.
wrp96 is offline  
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:16 am
  #801  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Programs: SWA
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes you will be able to use the Flagship lounge at ORD by virtue of your JFK-LHR first same day booking.
Awesome to hear...thanks for the quick reply!!
DOTK is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:36 am
  #802  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA
Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Posts: 4,440
Will be flying in F from LHR-DFW-SMF, Have a 4 hr connex in DFW. Will we be able access the Flagship First Dining area?
JIMCHI is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:37 am
  #803  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,854
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Will be flying in F from LHR-DFW-SMF, Have a 4 hr connex in DFW. Will we be able access the Flagship First Dining area?
Yep.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:21 pm
  #804  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 8,571
Wiki says one guest allowed.

prepandemic, my no- status J flying wife could not guest me in if I was in Y ( I was exec plat at the time, now plat pro).

This was on JFK-LAX. Has it changed? Specifically for MIA-LAX on a 772?
beachfan is online now  
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:29 pm
  #805  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: NYC
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 14,755
Originally Posted by beachfan
Wiki says one guest allowed.

prepandemic, my no- status J flying wife could not guest me in if I was in Y ( I was exec plat at the time, now plat pro).

This was on JFK-LAX. Has it changed? Specifically for MIA-LAX on a 772?
Please refer to
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

Access due to Qualifying First and Business for non-status do not allow for guest unless it is an International F.
seawolf is offline  
Old Jun 20, 2022, 3:59 pm
  #806  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 373
Access for OW Sapphire on domestic itineraries?

Do OW Sapphire members (I'm BA Silver) get access to Flagship lounges when traveling on domestic itineraries in Main Cabin? My flight MSY-ORD was changed and now I have 2.5 hours in DFW in between, so I wanted to check the FL there
Spanish likes this.
flyertalker0013223 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 2022, 4:23 pm
  #807  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,593
Originally Posted by tosaerba24
Do OW Sapphire members (I'm BA Silver) get access to Flagship lounges when traveling on domestic itineraries in Main Cabin? My flight MSY-ORD was changed and now I have 2.5 hours in DFW in between, so I wanted to check the FL there
Yuppers! That's the reason to have BA silver as an AA traveler, IMO.That's just what we do, in any cabin.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:06 pm
  #808  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 33,593
Originally Posted by seawolf
Please refer to
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

Access due to Qualifying First and Business for non-status do not allow for guest unless it is an International F.
I updated the Wiki to clarify this. It did mention Flagship® First exclusion, but not Flagship® Business explicitly.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:26 am
  #809  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: ANC, NYC
Posts: 327
Will I get Flagship Lounge arriving in ORD on an AS ticketed JL F award and self-connecting to an AA Y flight as a non AS or AA elite? FFD too?
desafino is offline  
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:57 am
  #810  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,854
Originally Posted by desafino
Will I get Flagship Lounge arriving in ORD on an AS ticketed JL F award and self-connecting to an AA Y flight as a non AS or AA elite? FFD too?
Yes you can access the FL. There's no FFD at ORD though.
JJeffrey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.