Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
NOTE: Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining closed March 20, 2020. They will begin reopening in September of 2021, as discussed in this thread (link). This thread will reboot as the Premium facilities begin reopening and as AA announces any changes including access rules.

Beginning in spring 2017, AA began introducing their completely renovated or new, larger Flagship® Lounges – completely redesigned for qualifying First and Business Class customers.

Rules for expanded access to Flagship Lounges were published June 2017.

Features
  • More room for you to spread out and relax
  • Larger buffet with premium, fresh meals
  • Premium beer, wine and spirits
  • Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
  • More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service

As well, Flagship Lounge access policies changed.

American Airlines has expanded access to the Flagship® Lounges (but reduced access to Flagship® Dining within the Flagship® Lounges):

Expanded access

In the new Flagship® Lounges (not to be confused with Flagship® Dining), eligible customers are:
  • First and Business Class customers (on qualifying international flights or 3-class transcontinental markets*)
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum (including Concierge Key), Platinum Pro and Platinum members in any cabin (on qualifying international flights*)
  • oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire members in any cabin (on all qualifying flights**)

Qualifying transcontinental flights

3-class non-stop flights between:

• New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
  • JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
  • JFK and Orange County (SNA)
  • LAX and Miami (MIA)
  • LAX and Boston (BOS)

Qualifying other domestic filghts

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship® between:

• Dallas Fort Worth (DFW) and Honolulu (HNL)
  • DFW and Kona (KOA)
  • DFW and Maui (OGG)
  • Chicago (ORD) and HNL
  • Charlotte (CLT) and HNL
Guest Access

1 guest (children over 2 count as a guest)

*Qualifying international flights are those between the U.S. and Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, and Venezuela) only. Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO). All other international destinations are excluded from this benefit. Departing flight must be the same-day (or before 6 a.m. the following day).

**AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro and Platinum members traveling solely on North American itineraries (other than flights mentioned immediately above) will not qualify. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.

: An exception usually exists for First and Business passengers on AA Flagship (three class aircraft actually sold as three classes), such as the seasonal MIA-LAX 77W and LAX-BOS A321T.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive, complimentary access to Flagship® First Dining. Qualifying international passengers may bring one guest; qualifying domestic passengers are not allowed any guests.

NOTE: Flagship® First Class and Flagship® Business Class passengers traveling on 3-cabin transcontinental flights between JFK and LAX/SFO are allowed entry to the Flagship Lounge both upon departure and upon arrival (e.g. A passenger traveling business class nonstop from JFK to LAX will have access to the JFK Lounge and the LAX Lounge). However, passengers on this itinerary will not be allowed to bring in a guest if they are not also in the Flagship® cabin

Link to relevant "Flagship Lounge" aa.com page

Link to 2017 and 2018 posts archived from this thread.

Print Wikipost

Guide to Flagship Lounge Access (in revision)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
JFK-SEA needs to be added

JFK-SEA currently doesn't qualify as cross-country which is outrageous. There are only 16 pax sitting in First. I'm sure they can accomdate the ONE flight each day that makes this trip. I'm sorry but LAX/SFO-JFK and MIA can't be the only domestic legs that are offered this opportunity.

edit: First has 16 not 8.

Last edited by krakendown; Mar 4, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by krakendown
JFK-SEA currently doesn't qualify as cross-country which is outrageous. There are only 8 pax sitting in First. I'm sure they can accomdate the ONE flight each day that makes this trip. I'm sorry but LAX/SFO-JFK and MIA can't be the only domestic legs that are offered this opportunity.
I don’t see why would JFK SEA would qualify over JFK MIA or DFW HNL which are much longer flights.
If I’d you fly that route you can get AA credit card that comes with lounge access.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by gateH15

I don’t see why would JFK SEA would qualify over JFK MIA or DFW HNL which are much longer flights.
If I’d you fly that route you can get AA credit card that comes with lounge access.
I'm not sure how you're calculating JFK/MIA but JFK/SEA is definitely longer (both time and miles). and the focus here is JFK. I woudn't mind throwing dfw/hnl in the mix. But I'm sure it would upset some folks.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:40 pm

I'm not sure how you're calculating JFK/MIA but JFK/SEA is definitely longer (both time and miles). and the focus here is JFK. I woudn't mind throwing dfw/hnl in the mix. But I'm sure it would upset some folks.

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:50 pm

You’re post said JFK/MIA. Not MIA/SEA. Which is what I was referring to.

Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:51 pm

You’re post said JFK/MIA. Not MIA/SEA. Which is what I was referring to.

ah my bad. It’s been a long day. I meant MIA SEA
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:53 pm

Crazy that MIA-LAX 3 class International 77W is NOT considered transcon for FL access.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:01 pm

ah my bad. It’s been a long day. I meant MIA SEA
All good. I’m surprised MIA/SEA doesn’t qualify either. I’m guessing both destinations actually need a FL Lounge to qualify. There’s isn’t one in SEA as far as I know.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Crazy that MIA-LAX 3 class International 77W is NOT considered transcon for FL access.
From the wiki it does qualify.

Domestic currently include A321T three class flights between JFK and LAX or SFO, and 77W MIA-LAX. It’s under everything first star. *
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:11 pm

From the wiki it does qualify.

Domestic currently include A321T three class flights between JFK and LAX or SFO, and 77W MIA-LAX. It’s under everything first star. *
Wiki was wrong. (That was the old standard I think.)

From aa website...

Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO).

I corrected the wiki.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Global321
Wiki was wrong. (That was the old standard I think.)

From aa website...

Qualifying transcontinental flights are defined as non-stop between New York Kennedy (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO).

I corrected the wiki.
Nice catch. AA is really cutting down on these routes. JFK/LAX was my main route now I’ll be moving over to Delta for this route.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I’m guessing both destinations actually need a FL Lounge to qualify.
Nope, no FL in SFO.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:07 am

I am flying international flight MAD-ORD in Iberia business class. I have a 4 hour layover then a separate booking via BA on AA metal for domestic flight ORD-AUS in business class. Will I be able to enter the flagship lounge at ORD? Should I show my Iberia boarding pass if so?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by quitecryptic
I am flying international flight MAD-ORD in Iberia business class. I have a 4 hour layover then a separate booking via BA on AA metal for domestic flight ORD-AUS in business class. Will I be able to enter the flagship lounge at ORD? Should I show my Iberia boarding pass if so?
Yes and yes.
jcatman and quitecryptic like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:07 pm

Is there a limit on how early you can enter flagship lounge? My connection is 4 hours, I know some like the centurion have a 3 hours rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.