Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (2017+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.

Link to the FlyerGuide American Airlines Wiki
For older posts, please see Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to our new 2017 thread! Please continue discussion here (even if you're just now getting to brag about crossing the threshold at the end of 2016!

/AA moderator team

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 4, 2017 at 11:11 pm
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond

I actually finally made it on 1/2/17 (local HKG time, I guess 1/1/16 US evening) while on a flight from PEN-HKG as part of a PEN-HKG-SFO J fare. I was Plat before the flight but was EXP after I landed. The last 2016 flights to put me over were on JAL on 12/27 but only reported by AA on 1/1.

The reason I was checking so closely was to try the F lounges in HKG, but they wouldn't budge since their systems still showed me as Sapphire. 1 lounge called AA but gave up after being on hold.

How long does the Emerald status take to show up on partner airlines? A few days?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
I actually finally made it on 1/2/17 (local HKG time, I guess 1/1/16 US evening) while on a flight from PEN-HKG as part of a PEN-HKG-SFO J fare. I was Plat before the flight but was EXP after I landed. The last 2016 flights to put me over were on JAL on 12/27 but only reported by AA on 1/1.

The reason I was checking so closely was to try the F lounges in HKG, but they wouldn't budge since their systems still showed me as Sapphire. 1 lounge called AA but gave up after being on hold.

How long does the Emerald status take to show up on partner airlines? A few days?
I've found that as soon as the new status posts on AA you can access the new EXP card through the AA app and use the virtual card in your phone's wallet to get into lounges. Won't always work if it hasn't updated in the other company's system (usually takes a few days) but I've had no trouble using this method in the past with the agent using the electronic credential as proof of eligibility for entry
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by lds89
I've found that as soon as the new status posts on AA you can access the new EXP card through the AA app...
I was pleasantly surprised that my card updated in the walled automatically after I gained EXP. I guess AA IT can do some good stuff after all.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
Originally Posted by shawn67
Made EXP for the first time with 102,447 on 62 segments. Excited especially about being able to redeposit miles without fees. Essential when dealing with 6 daughters - ALL TEENAGERS!
Dear God. You deserve to be Concierge Key for that.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by lhl12
Dear God. You deserve to be Concierge Key for that.
Thanks and I would take it! On the plane they are honestly well behaved angels - a flight attendant's dream (they have been flying since they were 6 months old). But THE DRAMA that happens before they set foot on the jetway!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by lds89
I've found that as soon as the new status posts on AA you can access the new EXP card through the AA app and use the virtual card in your phone's wallet to get into lounges. Won't always work if it hasn't updated in the other company's system (usually takes a few days) but I've had no trouble using this method in the past with the agent using the electronic credential as proof of eligibility for entry
I could have pressed harder but they had zero interest in what was showing on my app on my phone so I decided it was not worth the additional time fighting over it and went to the J side.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:39 pm

How long does the EXP card/luggage tags take to arrive once you qualify? I qualified on 1/1/17.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How long does the EXP card/luggage tags take to arrive once you qualify? I qualified on 1/1/17.
Lady JDiver qualified December 13, 2016 and her card and baggage tags arrived yesterday, January 22. 🐌

How did you qualify for EP in one day?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
This will be my first full year with top status on any airline. Finished last year at 200,201 EQMs, 128 segments, and something around $9k EQD. All of that travel was personal sans two DEN-DFW-IAH business trips.

I will greatly miss doing mileage runs, and giving money to AA to fly just for the sake of flying. I've noticed their prices are much higher on the routes I fly then this time last year, so I have to be more conservative/strategic in how I fly.

Not looking forward to being punished for my low EQD spend, but at the end of the day, it's nice to have status on airlines, regardless of all the talk about being a free agent.

Here's hoping to a good 2017 (both on and off the ground)!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
I suspect Matthew330Ci had their qualifying activity from 2016 post to their account on 1/1/2017

But to answer the timing question, sometimes it has taken a couple of weeks, but this time around I haven't seen my EXP tags etc. to date although I requalified on Dec 19th..
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I suspect Matthew330Ci had their qualifying activity from 2016 post to their account on 1/1/2017

But to answer the timing question, sometimes it has taken a couple of weeks, but this time around I haven't seen my EXP tags etc. to date although I requalified on Dec 19th..
Same here.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Lady JDiver qualified December 13, 2016 and her card and baggage tags arrived yesterday, January 22. 🐌

Originally Posted by teemuflyer

Yup, my last qualifying activity from 2016 on JAL posted on 1/1.

I guess we're all waiting.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I qualified at the end of December and my card/tags arrived today.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I qualified at the end of December and my card/tags arrived today.
I also got mine today. I qualified 12/7. Sounds like they sent out a big batch at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.