Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Ive had cruises twice book me on an N fare, which shows on the chart as a normal fare. Both have come in as "special fares" distance based (on expensive tickets). I know cruises get bulk discounts, but I wish these fares were coded differently. It's as if they are trying to trick us. Is N fare always a cruise fare?
The booking class code provides no indication of whether it's a bulk fare or published fare. Lot's of published N fares out there that don't credit as special fares as well.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Any good AA OTA/consolidator to use for an Asia - USA trip to get special faries?

Booking a trip from Nepal via hkg back to the states, round trip in business and first.....however ITA has it coming up as lowest fares via Cathay Dragon to HKG, and AA HKD to USA. This means it books out on AA as normal EQD and EQM.

Is there a good consolidator or OTA that can help me book this out for special fare/* instead? With Rm J, I booking codes would get 35% - 40% EQD on most legs (except the I leg), and 2x-3x EQM.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I an trying to keep my Chase points for a trip next year.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Bryan Sklar
Is there a good consolidator or OTA that can help me book this out for special fare/* instead? With Rm J, I booking codes would get 35% - 40% EQD on most legs (except the I leg), and 2x-3x EQM.
The consolidator fares will be tiered by class level as well. (so, if you are looking at a J class fare, the consolidator fare will be competitive vs published J; you will not find a J class consolidator fare that competes on price with a published I class fare).

In other words, the lowest consolidator fares will book into I and you will earn 20% EQD on the transpacific segment.

The best consolidators typically work through traditional travel agents...for ex-Asia fares, a local (i.e., Nepalese) travel agent is probably your best bet. US based consolidators will not have particularly attractive Asia originating fares, especially compared to some of the bargain premium fares available on a published basis.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 7, 2019 at 10:49 am
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:18 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by Bryan Sklar
Is there a good consolidator or OTA that can help me book this out for special fare/* instead?
I have the same question, but haven't seen an answer yet.

I found flights on AA Vacations with Y*/P*, and I'm hoping to book them through an OTA/Amex MR/Citi TYP/Chase UR in order to avoid having to pay the minimum hotel nights (apparently it's 3 nights now).

I checked the exact same flights on Citi TYP but didn't see the terms bulk, wholesale, etc. on the terms and conditions for the flights.

Any advice on where I can book these flights and have them post as special fares? Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11
I found flights on AA Vacations with Y*/P*, and I'm hoping to book them through an OTA/Amex MR/Citi TYP/Chase UR in order to avoid having to pay the minimum hotel nights (apparently it's 3 nights now).
You will probably not find an online source that is transparent about the fare type (not because they are being deceptive, it's just not their business model to advertise how EQDs are posted for specific flight options).

A real (i.e., in the flesh) travel agent can get you consolidator fares and confirm the terms (bulk or non-bulk fare) prior to purchase based on the fare rules.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 12, 2019 at 4:10 pm
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Sorry but dont think you can book any ex-USA flights on AA vacations - they need to originate in USA, not in KTM....at least cannot book on AA Vacations website -KTM-HKG-LAX/JFK/DFW, etc. Have you called AA vacations and able to book?
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:44 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

You will probably not find an online source that is transparent about the fare type (not because they are being deceptive, it's just not their business model to advertise how EQDs are posted for specific flight options).

A real (i.e., in the flesh) travel agent can get you consolidator fares and confirm the terms (bulk or non-bulk fare) prior to purchase based on the fare rules.
Thanks for the confirmation, it's helpful to know to look for a real travel agent.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Purchased P* tickets. Had a slight schedule change (10 min departure change ).

Completed travel and the stuff didn’t post correctly. It posted on Regular P special fare. Lower EQD and no class of service bonus.

went back through my email and the departure change email shows a different fare class then the original booking email. AA is refusing to give me P* credit.

Any suggestions ?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

Completed travel and the stuff didn’t post correctly. It posted on Regular P special fare. Lower EQD and no class of service bonus.

went back through my email and the departure change email shows a different fare class then the original booking email. AA is refusing to give me P* credit.

Any suggestions ?
Do you have the original email from before the change? If they are refusing, I believe this is your only recourse - show them.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Shadowfactor

Any suggestions ?
Who are you contacting at AA and what is the reason they gave you?

You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number). Tell the agent that your miles didn't post correctly, give them your trip info, and they will look into it and email you back. Best case they email you back and say it's fixed. Otherwise they will email you back and give you another excuse. If this happens, just reply to the email with a screenshot of your original confirmation showing P*, as well as a link to the aa.com special fares page.

I had a P* post regularly last year and this is the process I had to go through to get it posted correctly as a special fare. AA tried every excuse in the book (I upgraded with SWU, there was a schedule change, the program changed last year, blah blah blah) but after about the 3rd reply they finally corrected it to special fare. I just kept replying with the same screenshot of my confirmation and link to aa.com.
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Who are you contacting at AA and what is the reason they gave you?

You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number). Tell the agent that your miles didn't post correctly, give them your trip info, and they will look into it and email you back. Best case they email you back and say it's fixed. Otherwise they will email you back and give you another excuse. If this happens, just reply to the email with a screenshot of your original confirmation showing P*, as well as a link to the aa.com special fares page.

I had a P* post regularly last year and this is the process I had to go through to get it posted correctly as a special fare. AA tried every excuse in the book (I upgraded with SWU, there was a schedule change, the program changed last year, blah blah blah) but after about the 3rd reply they finally corrected it to special fare. I just kept replying with the same screenshot of my confirmation and link to aa.com.

i’ll have to try that then. I contacted advantage customer service and they told me it was posted correctly. I kept asking to send them the email from AA vacations showing P*. They finally escalated it this afternoon after the 3rd phone call to customer service.

Will update with what happens
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:20 pm

Received an email after the mileage credit desk reviewed it and ruled that it was posted correctly.

They are still refusing to credit the fare correctly , and screwing me on the class of service bonus.

I replied to the email with another copy of the itinerary

will see see what happens
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ShootinPutin11
I have the same question, but haven't seen an answer yet.

I checked the exact same flights on Citi TYP but didn't see the terms bulk, wholesale, etc. on the terms and conditions for the flights.

Any advice on where I can book these flights and have them post as special fares? Thanks!
Citi TYP still sells some bulk fares, but not with the magnitude that they did last year. Last year I think every domestic itinerary I booked was a bulk fare, but this year, only select domestic and Canadian itineraries are bulk fares.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:44 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Originally Posted by nwngeek212
Citi TYP still sells some bulk fares, but not with the magnitude that they did last year. Last year I think every domestic itinerary I booked was a bulk fare, but this year, only select domestic and Canadian itineraries are bulk fares.
Thanks for the context! Good to know that TYP isn't as reliable as they used to be for consolidator fares.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:24 pm

I have a question.

I have attached an itinerary receipt from AA vacations.

which chart should I be earning on ?
EQM : 1.5X EQD : 20% Class of Service : 0%

or EQM : 1.5X EQD : 25% Class of service : 25%

AA is stating that I should be earning off the first chart listed on the special fares page but as I understand it. I should be earning the P* fare unavailable chart as I was never shown the fare breakdown.

I purchased a 3 day throw away hotel to get a discount on the airfare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.