Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 2:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
[QUOTE=sushanna1;33407605My only criticism of AA vacations is the fact that after the initial purchase, everything has to be done through calling AAvacations. Lengthy hold times, and a couple of hours wait to receive a call back plus a couple of less than stellar agents means that it will be a while before I book another package. That said, I was delighted with the hotel and was pleased to be able to use up some of my miles.[/QUOTE]

For the lengthy hold times, I actually blame us Sorta seriously, really. I've spoken with enough agents during thus time to believe that they're pretty much at full strength and are getting slammed because we're calling in record volumes to go places.

With that said, my last couple of calls have been few minutes to no wait. Fingers crossed.

No excuse for bad agents. I've had mostly good luck, including getting repeat agents who remember dealing with me (same with AB Holidays)

Cheers.
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
A mixed-cabin international AA ticket recently purchased via Amex “insider fares” posted normally rather than as special. This despite the fare not displaying properly on the receipt, and AA staff claiming it’s special, i’m not complaining, because the accrual was fairly close either way. Fewer eqd but more rdm.

It seems that anything with an agency discount designator appended to a normal published fare blows up the way it’s displayed on aa.com. Like F21XXWN/yyyy. But it gets read correctly as far as Aadvantage is concerned.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Aug 8, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Old Aug 9, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
A mixed-cabin international AA ticket recently purchased via Amex “insider fares” posted normally rather than as special. This despite the fare not displaying properly on the receipt, and AA staff claiming it’s special, i’m not complaining, because the accrual was fairly close either way. Fewer eqd but more rdm.

It seems that anything with an agency discount designator appended to a normal published fare blows up the way it’s displayed on aa.com. Like F21XXWN/yyyy. But it gets read correctly as far as Aadvantage is concerned.
Did any fare display on the receipt? IME, fare displaying with a weird number always leads to regular fare based posting, but fare not displaying at all leads to special.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is there any way to tell if a ticket will post as a special fare after multiple changes/reissuances? I've had it happen in the past but it seems unpredictable.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Is there any way to tell if a ticket will post as a special fare after multiple changes/reissuances? I've had it happen in the past but it seems unpredictable.
Best way to know is to hold onto the original email that would have had the asterisk. In cases where an agent works on it from the beginning, even that won’t work, though. If the initial listing had the asterisk, I’ve never had it fail to post properly, although I seem to recall having to call maybe once or twice more than 5 years, and many AA Vacations packages ago.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Much to my surprise, I had some flights around New Year that posted as 'Special Fares' I bought them through the Chase Travel Portal (didn't use points, just bought that way for the 5x UR points on travel purchases via the portal).

My outbound flights, I actually didn't think much about because we had to be rebooked at the airport and they rebooked us into paid D/C fares even though I had upgraded the ticket previously. However the inbound flight was flown as planned, booked in O. All 4 segments posted as special fares. In the case of the 2 returning on the O booking class, it actually didn't benefit me at all since the ticket wasn't really cheap, but REALLY good to know that the current version of Chase Travel does count as a special fare. Was totally unexpected since there was no * next to them on the site. This will alleviate my main gripe of booking AA fares from Asia since you can't use VAacations originating outside of North America. I'd been booking JL fares but the earning rate for I and E are both punitive on JL codes.

**Just a note on the tickets bought via Chase, there were one-way tickets in each direction and no hotel/car package. Just straight up one-way tickets.

Last edited by dvs7310; Jan 15, 2022 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
"I*" is not a class of service. The asterisk is just an indicator used by AA Vacations to reflect that the itinerary is based on a bulk fare they have negotiated with AA--in this case booked in I class. If your travel involves a bulk fare ticket, you'll receive "special fare" EQDs regarless of what's on your receipt and/or whether there is a schedule change. It's simply a glitch/quirk that the asterisk tends to fall off documentaton once a phone agent touches the reservation.
This is making me feel better about a booking I just completed... via phone agent. Calmed my nerves for sleeping tonight anyway, but need to investigate more in the morning. Not much room to fix this error if I land in Colombia and my EQD are not what I suspected. Oy.

But thanks! Whew.

P.S. NYC Flyer are you able to book flights just like AA Vacations does and they'll also count as special fare? I don't know if I can cancel my current situation I booked tonight but happy to send any future AA Vacation type requirements your way in the future. I suppose they still have some value if you find a cheap flight to South America at a minimum, even with the new LP scheme.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
P.S. NYC Flyer are you able to book flights just like AA Vacations does and they'll also count as special fare? I don't know if I can cancel my current situation I booked tonight but happy to send any future AA Vacation type requirements your way in the future. I suppose they still have some value if you find a cheap flight to South America at a minimum, even with the new LP scheme.
Don't cancel what you have, but feel free to reach out in the future.

Travel agents abolutely sell AAVacations, with some limitations (no fly/drive option--must include 2nt+ hotel stay) and some perks (low upfront deposit with payment due 45 days before travel). Air is 100% bulk fares.

As far as air-only, there would have to be a consolidator fare on the routing (primarily longhaul international).

Neither option is that valuable for LPs unless you are booking premium economy cabin or higher.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Much to my surprise, I had some flights around New Year that posted as 'Special Fares' I bought them through the Chase Travel Portal (didn't use points, just bought that way for the 5x UR points on travel purchases via the portal).

My outbound flights, I actually didn't think much about because we had to be rebooked at the airport and they rebooked us into paid D/C fares even though I had upgraded the ticket previously. However the inbound flight was flown as planned, booked in O. All 4 segments posted as special fares. In the case of the 2 returning on the O booking class, it actually didn't benefit me at all since the ticket wasn't really cheap, but REALLY good to know that the current version of Chase Travel does count as a special fare. Was totally unexpected since there was no * next to them on the site. This will alleviate my main gripe of booking AA fares from Asia since you can't use VAacations originating outside of North America. I'd been booking JL fares but the earning rate for I and E are both punitive on JL codes.

**Just a note on the tickets bought via Chase, there were one-way tickets in each direction and no hotel/car package. Just straight up one-way tickets.
I actually didn't realize that paid tickets booked through Chase Travel would post as special fares. I booked an expensive $6k business class tickets and lost out on a lot of miles and EQD this way. Has anyone had success contacting AA to see if they would adjust the mileage to the normal way? For what it's worth, my itinerary shows the full cash cost of the ticket and there was no asterisk next to the I fare when I booked it. Didn't know if anyone had success with AAdvantage Customer Service adjusting these kinds of tickets since this was a cash booking (no points used) and not a bulk fare.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I actually didn't realize that paid tickets booked through Chase Travel would post as special fares. I booked an expensive $6k business class tickets and lost out on a lot of miles and EQD this way. Has anyone had success contacting AA to see if they would adjust the mileage to the normal way? For what it's worth, my itinerary shows the full cash cost of the ticket and there was no asterisk next to the I fare when I booked it. Didn't know if anyone had success with AAdvantage Customer Service adjusting these kinds of tickets since this was a cash booking (no points used) and not a bulk fare.
They don't consistently post as special fares. Most of mine have posted based on spend.

You can try contacting them to ask them to adjust, but it's very unlikely that you would have success.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Chase ultimate rewards

Does anyone have more recent experience booking a flight with UR points through the Chase travel portal? I'm wondering about a few things:

1) Is there any way to know at the time of booking how many loyalty points I'll get, i.e., will the flights be credited on distance vs. price?
2) What happens if I need to make a change, either because of a schedule change on American's end or a decision on my end? Does that all have to go through Chase?
3) Is there any option to re-book for fewer points if the price drops (as I regularly do on aa.com)?

I would also welcome any other advice/caveats that anyone has to share. I have a ton of UR points and would love to use them on an upcoming trip, but not if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lmagnott
Does anyone have more recent experience booking a flight with UR points through the Chase travel portal? I'm wondering about a few things:

1) Is there any way to know at the time of booking how many loyalty points I'll get, i.e., will the flights be credited on distance vs. price?
2) What happens if I need to make a change, either because of a schedule change on American's end or a decision on my end? Does that all have to go through Chase?
3) Is there any option to re-book for fewer points if the price drops (as I regularly do on aa.com)?

I would also welcome any other advice/caveats that anyone has to share. I have a ton of UR points and would love to use them on an upcoming trip, but not if it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.
1] You should be able to determine the number of loyalty points by deducting the gov’t imposed taxes from the total, and then multiplying the fare by the number of LPs you earn depending on status, i.e. 5 LPs per dollar if you have no status. That is for flights on AA. If you booking flights on another airline but crediting to AA, you would need to check the partner’s LP earning on AA.com.

2] When AA has had changes to a flight purchased through the Chase portal, I’ve been able to make changes to the flight through the AA app. I enter my AA FF# number when purchasing through Chase. If a flight is cancelled, I’m guessing you have to go through Chase to rebook.

3] No. You are effectively using your UR points as cash when you book a flight through the Chase portal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.