FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1811655-aa-special-fare-aa-vacations-typ-mr-etc-questions-eqd-issues-merged.html)

surftb15 Dec 29, 2016 9:14 pm

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

I have several tickets booked for next year.

On most tickets, I can click "Print Ticket and Receipt". This then shows the fare code + total price of the itinerary. On two other itineraries , which have been reissued, the site only says "Print Trip" and shows the itinerary, but not the fare codes.

I have to call in to get the fare codes and the AAgents cant find the fare.

So for these two tickets, would it revert to special fares tab?

thorofare Dec 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 27679015)
I have several tickets booked for next year.

On most tickets, I can click "Print Ticket and Receipt". This then shows the fare code + total price of the itinerary. On two other itineraries , which have been reissued, the site only says "Print Trip" and shows the itinerary, but not the fare codes.

I have to call in to get the fare codes and the AAgents cant find the fare.

So for these two tickets, would it revert to special fares tab?

Similar thing happened to me as a result of schedule change and re-issue. Under special fares look for "Earning when ticket/fare details are not available" at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

surftb15 Dec 31, 2016 2:31 pm

Thanks. I wonder what happens in the case of a swu, would it just revert to economy or something else? Since the original ticket can't be located?

flyerCO Dec 31, 2016 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 27685548)
Thanks. I wonder what happens in the case of a swu, would it just revert to economy or something else? Since the original ticket can't be located?

I'm slightly confused what you're wanting to know/do. We're these tickets bought from AA or through a TA? You mention reissue ticket, was this because of using a SWU or because you changed the ticket? Or are you trying to use a SWU? Or are you assuming because there's no fare code that there was ticket reissue? Some TA tickets won't have fare codes since they're not published fares.

surftb15 Dec 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 27685689)
I'm slightly confused what you're wanting to know/do. We're these tickets bought from AA or through a TA? You mention reissue ticket, was this because of using a SWU or because you changed the ticket? Or are you trying to use a SWU? Or are you assuming because there's no fare code that there was ticket reissue? Some TA tickets won't have fare codes since they're not published fares.

My TA books directly through AA, but that's not the problem.

I have two problem tickets where travel brings early next year. These were F tickets, issued by AA. They've been reissued over ten times now so the fare basis and receipt has disappeared from the site.

Those tickets would use special fares.

On a third ticket, I applied a swu. The price paid for the ticket is no longer available online as AA cancelled the routes and delayed departure time several times. Again, been reissued many times!

Im curous, in the case of swu and special fare, what happens? Does it revert to economy booking code?

Dave Noble Dec 31, 2016 3:44 pm

Regardless of whether it is reissused or even where fare no longer exists, AA does have the details of the fare paid

The expectattion should be that you will receive credit as per the fare paid 5 miles per dollar spent

It does seem that AA has issues with some reissues and it may end up crediting as distance based, though would have expected it to be under the unknown fare earning rather than special fare earning

If the Travel Agent books directly with AA, it would not normally be a special fare , but a regular fare. If you purchased an economy ticket and upgraded using miles/SWU, the distance earning would be based on the underlying economy fare basis. If a business class ticket upgraded to 1st class, then would be based on the underlying business class basis

How much was the fare and what is the route?

surftb15 Dec 31, 2016 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27685833)
Regardless of whether it is reissused or even where fare no longer exists, AA does have the details of the fare paid

The expectattion should be that you will receive credit as per the fare paid 5 miles per dollar spent

It does seem that AA has issues with some reissues and it may end up crediting as distance based, though would have expected it to be under the unknown fare earning rather than special fare earning

If the Travel Agent books directly with AA, it would not normally be a special fare , but a regular fare. If you purchased an economy ticket and upgraded using miles/SWU, the distance earning would be based on the underlying economy fare basis. If a business class ticket upgraded to 1st class, then would be based on the underlying business class basis

Where do you find unknown fare?

The one ticket was in F, D. PEN. KUL. HKG. JFK.YVR. PEN to KUL to HKG is in D. HKG to JFK to YVR is in F.

The other ticket was SAN to ORD to PVG. Not sure of the fare code bc the ticket has been reissued so much. And AA can't pull fare paid anymore either.

Dave Noble Dec 31, 2016 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 27685896)
Where do you find unknown fare?

The one ticket was in F, D. PEN. KUL. HKG. JFK.YVR. PEN to KUL to HKG is in D. HKG to JFK to YVR is in F.

The other ticket was SAN to ORD to PVG. Not sure of the fare code bc the ticket has been reissued so much. And AA can't pull fare paid anymore either.

on the page https://www.americanairlines.com.au/...cial-fares.jsp , there are 2 sets of tables

The 1st tables are for Special fares before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17
The 2nd tables are for where fare is unknown before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17

Since you booked through a travel agent, should be easy to contact the travel agent and confirm the purchase details

surftb15 Dec 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27685945)
on the page https://www.americanairlines.com.au/...cial-fares.jsp , there are 2 sets of tables

Since you booked through a travel agent, should be easy to contact the travel agent and confirm the purchase details

​​​​​​Sounds good. Still need to figure about the swu fare code though. Since that flight is tomorrow!

Dave Noble Dec 31, 2016 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 27685953)
​​​​​​Sounds good. Still need to figure about the swu fare code though. Since that flight is tomorrow!

Just don't get upset if it does credit as fare rather than distance :)

surftb15 Dec 31, 2016 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27685945)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27685966)
Just don't get upset if it does credit as fare rather than distance :)

​​​​​​
AA doesn't have that good of an IT system, do they?

If they did credit on fare, i should have been able to see a receipt online, like all my other flights next year. No?

surftb15 Jan 3, 2017 5:50 am

Well well well,
I just flew SAN-ORD-PVG with an "unknown fare" - at least there was no receipt available.
On the SAN-ORD leg, I earned 42 EQD.
WOW.
says it was M fare economy

Dave Noble Jan 3, 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15 (Post 27696672)
Well well well,
I just flew SAN-ORD-PVG with an "unknown fare" - at least there was no receipt available.
On the SAN-ORD leg, I earned 42 EQD.
WOW.
says it was M fare economy

Did the flight credit based on distance or on fare?

surftb15 Jan 4, 2017 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27698874)
Did the flight credit based on distance or on fare?

Fare but certainly not the right fare. Oh well. I had a schedule change and grabbed all CX prime flights next week. I should hit the spend this month with a trip in J

Col Ronson Jan 4, 2017 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 27685833)

I can attest this has happened a few times on flights where an SWU has cleared i've gotten award miles based on distance instead. But other flights using SWU has gotten miles based on fare paid. So its a hit or a miss.