Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 18, 12:17 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits


"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 11 Jan 2017. See here.

Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Dec 29, 16, 9:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

I have several tickets booked for next year.

On most tickets, I can click "Print Ticket and Receipt". This then shows the fare code + total price of the itinerary. On two other itineraries , which have been reissued, the site only says "Print Trip" and shows the itinerary, but not the fare codes.

I have to call in to get the fare codes and the AAgents cant find the fare.

So for these two tickets, would it revert to special fares tab?
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 16, 8:41 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: OR
Programs: AA EXP; SPG Preferred (né Gold); HHonors Gold
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
I have several tickets booked for next year.

On most tickets, I can click "Print Ticket and Receipt". This then shows the fare code + total price of the itinerary. On two other itineraries , which have been reissued, the site only says "Print Trip" and shows the itinerary, but not the fare codes.

I have to call in to get the fare codes and the AAgents cant find the fare.

So for these two tickets, would it revert to special fares tab?
Similar thing happened to me as a result of schedule change and re-issue. Under special fares look for "Earning when ticket/fare details are not available" at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp
thorofare is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 2:31 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Thanks. I wonder what happens in the case of a swu, would it just revert to economy or something else? Since the original ticket can't be located?
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 3:07 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 15,254
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Thanks. I wonder what happens in the case of a swu, would it just revert to economy or something else? Since the original ticket can't be located?
I'm slightly confused what you're wanting to know/do. We're these tickets bought from AA or through a TA? You mention reissue ticket, was this because of using a SWU or because you changed the ticket? Or are you trying to use a SWU? Or are you assuming because there's no fare code that there was ticket reissue? Some TA tickets won't have fare codes since they're not published fares.
flyerCO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 3:35 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I'm slightly confused what you're wanting to know/do. We're these tickets bought from AA or through a TA? You mention reissue ticket, was this because of using a SWU or because you changed the ticket? Or are you trying to use a SWU? Or are you assuming because there's no fare code that there was ticket reissue? Some TA tickets won't have fare codes since they're not published fares.
My TA books directly through AA, but that's not the problem.

I have two problem tickets where travel brings early next year. These were F tickets, issued by AA. They've been reissued over ten times now so the fare basis and receipt has disappeared from the site.

Those tickets would use special fares.

On a third ticket, I applied a swu. The price paid for the ticket is no longer available online as AA cancelled the routes and delayed departure time several times. Again, been reissued many times!

Im curous, in the case of swu and special fare, what happens? Does it revert to economy booking code?
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 3:44 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,354
Regardless of whether it is reissused or even where fare no longer exists, AA does have the details of the fare paid

The expectattion should be that you will receive credit as per the fare paid 5 miles per dollar spent

It does seem that AA has issues with some reissues and it may end up crediting as distance based, though would have expected it to be under the unknown fare earning rather than special fare earning

If the Travel Agent books directly with AA, it would not normally be a special fare , but a regular fare. If you purchased an economy ticket and upgraded using miles/SWU, the distance earning would be based on the underlying economy fare basis. If a business class ticket upgraded to 1st class, then would be based on the underlying business class basis

How much was the fare and what is the route?
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:05 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Regardless of whether it is reissused or even where fare no longer exists, AA does have the details of the fare paid

The expectattion should be that you will receive credit as per the fare paid 5 miles per dollar spent

It does seem that AA has issues with some reissues and it may end up crediting as distance based, though would have expected it to be under the unknown fare earning rather than special fare earning

If the Travel Agent books directly with AA, it would not normally be a special fare , but a regular fare. If you purchased an economy ticket and upgraded using miles/SWU, the distance earning would be based on the underlying economy fare basis. If a business class ticket upgraded to 1st class, then would be based on the underlying business class basis

How much was the fare and what is the route?
Where do you find unknown fare?

The one ticket was in F, D. PEN. KUL. HKG. JFK.YVR. PEN to KUL to HKG is in D. HKG to JFK to YVR is in F.

The other ticket was SAN to ORD to PVG. Not sure of the fare code bc the ticket has been reissued so much. And AA can't pull fare paid anymore either.
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:16 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,354
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Where do you find unknown fare?

The one ticket was in F, D. PEN. KUL. HKG. JFK.YVR. PEN to KUL to HKG is in D. HKG to JFK to YVR is in F.

The other ticket was SAN to ORD to PVG. Not sure of the fare code bc the ticket has been reissued so much. And AA can't pull fare paid anymore either.
on the page https://www.americanairlines.com.au/...cial-fares.jsp , there are 2 sets of tables

The 1st tables are for Special fares before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17
The 2nd tables are for where fare is unknown before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17

Since you booked through a travel agent, should be easy to contact the travel agent and confirm the purchase details
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:18 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
on the page https://www.americanairlines.com.au/...cial-fares.jsp , there are 2 sets of tables

The 1st tables are for Special fares before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17
The 2nd tables are for where fare is unknown before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17

Since you booked through a travel agent, should be easy to contact the travel agent and confirm the purchase details
​​​​​​Sounds good. Still need to figure about the swu fare code though. Since that flight is tomorrow!
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:21 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,354
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
​​​​​​Sounds good. Still need to figure about the swu fare code though. Since that flight is tomorrow!
Just don't get upset if it does credit as fare rather than distance
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:28 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
on the page https://www.americanairlines.com.au/...cial-fares.jsp , there are 2 sets of tables

The 1st tables are for Special fares before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17
The 2nd tables are for where fare is unknown before 11/01/17 / from 11/01/17

Since you booked through a travel agent, should be easy to contact the travel agent and confirm the purchase details
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Just don't get upset if it does credit as fare rather than distance
​​​​​​
AA doesn't have that good of an IT system, do they?

If they did credit on fare, i should have been able to see a receipt online, like all my other flights next year. No?
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 17, 5:50 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Well well well,
I just flew SAN-ORD-PVG with an "unknown fare" - at least there was no receipt available.
On the SAN-ORD leg, I earned 42 EQD.
WOW.
says it was M fare economy
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 17, 1:02 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 39,354
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Well well well,
I just flew SAN-ORD-PVG with an "unknown fare" - at least there was no receipt available.
On the SAN-ORD leg, I earned 42 EQD.
WOW.
says it was M fare economy
Did the flight credit based on distance or on fare?
Dave Noble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 17, 12:19 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Did the flight credit based on distance or on fare?
Fare but certainly not the right fare. Oh well. I had a schedule change and grabbed all CX prime flights next week. I should hit the spend this month with a trip in J
surftb15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 17, 1:49 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere you wanna be
Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Posts: 1,653
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Regardless of whether it is reissused or even where fare no longer exists, AA does have the details of the fare paid

The expectattion should be that you will receive credit as per the fare paid 5 miles per dollar spent

It does seem that AA has issues with some reissues and it may end up crediting as distance based, though would have expected it to be under the unknown fare earning rather than special fare earning

If the Travel Agent books directly with AA, it would not normally be a special fare , but a regular fare. If you purchased an economy ticket and upgraded using miles/SWU, the distance earning would be based on the underlying economy fare basis. If a business class ticket upgraded to 1st class, then would be based on the underlying business class basis

How much was the fare and what is the route?
I can attest this has happened a few times on flights where an SWU has cleared i've gotten award miles based on distance instead. But other flights using SWU has gotten miles based on fare paid. So its a hit or a miss.
Col Ronson is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread