Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AA Flyer
Is it possible to Book an AA Vacation, Airfare and Hotel ... and have the HOTEL DATES for less days that the TRAVEL dates (FOR AIRFARE)
IE: Air Travel 3/4 - 3/10
Hotel: 3/4 - 3/6 (3 nights)

Is this possible?
Yes, if you click Advanced Search on the main page, on the next page you'll see a check-box for "Hotel dates different from flight dates."
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by stillflatout
I got the a reply to my request. Looks like I was wrong on my booking being special fare, the reply confirmed the ticket should be fare based and cannot be changed to be distance based.
Thanks for all the reply and help, I guess I need to ask my travel agent for all the fare rules when I book in the future.
My friend that booked thru the same agent was able to get EQD by distance after appeal on his most recent trip. He talked to the travel agent and supposedly the booking price thru the agent can confirm if it's special fare or not. In this case, whole dollar means special fare. This might explain why I got it on all my 4 previous trips versus the last one. I confirm the first 4 had price end in .00 and last one ended in .11.
The travel agent also suggest AA flight out of certain airport will never have special fare and that varies from year to year.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by redtop43
I found out something I hadn't anticipated. EQD's posted as a percentage of miles flown do NOT reflect a 500-mile minimum.

On a recent trip I flew a 236-mile segment in I*, and it posted as 47 EQD rather than the 100 I had expected. It could have been catastrophic because it left me 11 EQD short of the next tier, but I have credit card dollars posting next week.
It has been always his way.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I cannot find any bulk/wholesale fares on the Citi TYP. Can anyone confirm whether this is also the case with Chase/Amex? If so, it would seem that AA has stopped distributing wholesale fares through credit card portals.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
I cannot find any bulk/wholesale fares on the Citi TYP. Can anyone confirm whether this is also the case with Chase/Amex? If so, it would seem that AA has stopped distributing wholesale fares through credit card portals.
I don't use these portals and cannot confirm, but it's maybe it's possible that existing contracts have been deactivated while they are in the process up uploading 2019 contract data. But, it's also possible that these portals are moving to a different pricing approach with the airline, with everything based on published fares.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Dec 22, 2018 at 7:41 pm Reason: grammar/clarification
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:54 am

EQM/EQD earning comparison

I'm booking PAID Business class flights on Qatar for Nov 2019 PHL-DOH-SYD round-trip. Right now, the price to book directly on qatar.com is about $1200 more than booking via Expedia Air+Hotel package (3 hotel nights booked, but not actually staying in the hostel). Obviously, from a price perspective, the Exedia booking is the smart choice. But, I wondered about earning rates (credited to AA).

If i'm reading the AA earning charts properly (this is a big "if") booking via Qatar (used this chart: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp) J class will earn 1.5 EQM, 25% EQD and 150% miles, whereas I class will earn 1.5 EQM, 20% EQD and 100% miles. Booking via Expedia would use the "Special Fares" chart (is that correct?) (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp) and would earn J class: 3 EQM, 40% EQD, and 200% miles, or I class: 2 EQM, 20% EQD and 100% miles.

So, not only is the Expedia fare much cheaper, it also earn EQMs and EQDs at a better rate.

Can this be right? Help!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ignutzz
I'm booking PAID Business class flights on Qatar for Nov 2019 PHL-DOH-SYD round-trip. Right now, the price to book directly on qatar.com is about $1200 more than booking via Expedia Air+Hotel package (3 hotel nights booked, but not actually staying in the hostel). Obviously, from a price perspective, the Exedia booking is the smart choice. But, I wondered about earning rates (credited to AA).

If i'm reading the AA earning charts properly (this is a big "if") booking via Qatar (used this chart: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ines/qatar.jsp) J class will earn 1.5 EQM, 25% EQD and 150% miles, whereas I class will earn 1.5 EQM, 20% EQD and 100% miles. Booking via Expedia would use the "Special Fares" chart (is that correct?) (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp) and would earn J class: 3 EQM, 40% EQD, and 200% miles, or I class: 2 EQM, 20% EQD and 100% miles.

So, not only is the Expedia fare much cheaper, it also earn EQMs and EQDs at a better rate.

Can this be right? Help!
I did not check or your links but it seems like you’ve got this pretty well figured out. The major caveat as I see how it is whether or not your fare will be treated as a special fare. OTA’s have both published fares and non-published fares. Published fares will not give you special fare accumulation. Check the fare rules of any of the segments you were looking at and it will say whether it’s treated as bulk, etc.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:27 pm

First. Double che k what class of service the qr flights are booked in. Usually the deep discounted business fares are R.

My guess that it will be based on the qr earning chart as special fares are usually for AA flights. AA won’t see any of your fares paid an just wait for an authorization to post c flights on x dates and x miles.

Can this be right? Help!

Last edited by 777lover; Dec 29, 2018 at 7:13 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

Can this be right? Help!
Regardless of where you book, I highly doubt QR flights will post according to special fares chart, especially if they’re marketed as QR. The point of special fares, at least in theory, is that AA doesn’t know the fare, so mileage earning is calculated based on distance. QR marketed flights are not calculated based on fare but calculated based on distance to begin with, so there’s no need for the special fares table.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, special fares are only for AA marketed flights.

QR flights will post according to the QR earning table at aa.com, doesn't matter if you buy direct from QR or via a package from Expedia, etc. etc.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
If they're QR flights (not AA codeshares) the earnings will be the same, as JJeffrey explained just now. That said, the Expedia price is $1200 lower, so definitely go with that one

Also, if you do need a place to stay, you might see if you can play with that deal to put yourself in something more appropriate than the hostel while still being cheaper than the accommodations you'd have booked otherwise. I've done the throwaway-hostel thing, but generally only when I was staying with friends, as the hotel selections are usually wide enough to find something you like and keep the crazy flight discount.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I don't use these portals and cannot confirm, but it's maybe it's possible that existing contracts have been deactivated while they are in the process up uploading 2019 contract data. But, it's also possible that these portals are moving to a different pricing approach with the airline, with everything based on published fares.
Still no bulk fares on Citi. It's likely that AA stopped distributing bulk fares to credit card points providers as many folk probably used it to fast track their way to EXP (including myself).
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
Still no bulk fares on Citi. It's likely that AA stopped distributing bulk fares to credit card points providers as many folk probably used it to fast track their way to EXP (including myself).
Perhaps, but they are still selling bulk fares through other channels (i.e, consolidators, which are unlikely to go away). I've also seen private fares our agency offers credit as special fares very recently (surprisingly). Even if Citi is no longer offering *EQD, there are enough other channels out there that a deliberate effort to curb the hunt for more efficient paths to EXP seems unlikely here.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PPro
3 hotel nights booked, but not actually staying in the hostel
Note: you can save a few $$s by selecting the don't need a hotel for all my nights option and cutting the hotel booking to 1 night. It'll still use the combo fare -- or at least it works that way when I book on Expedia for AA flights to NYC.

And yes: only AA flight coded flights might use the special fare table.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Does this still work?

Hi all,

Kind of confused by all of this. I am trying to book a "special fare" for LAX-ATL (nonstop) including a car rental on AA vacations in order to earn more EQDs than just straight out buying the fare on AA.com. I found a package with rental car for $691 and it says the fare class is G*. Is this what I need to do? How many EQDs would I earn for this flight or how do I calculate this? Also other than seeing G* how to I look at the fare terms to make sure it is a special fare? Please help!

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.