Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If there was an * on your fare when you originally booked, you can call in after it posts if it isn't posted as a special fare and ask for an adjustment.
Yes I booked as a package and there’s an asterisk N* as well as noted “special fare” on the confirmation.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just send them proof and you should be good.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
If there was an * on your fare when you originally booked, you can call in after it posts if it isn't posted as a special fare and ask for an adjustment.
Are you sure the "*" applies to AA flights booked on Expedia? I'm aware of this for AAVacations, but not sure if it's applicable to Expedia bookings.

Regards
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by scubadu
Are you sure the "*" applies to AA flights booked on Expedia? I'm aware of this for AAVacations, but not sure if it's applicable to Expedia bookings.

Regards
I actually responded with the same then found that Expedia does, in fact, use an asterisk on some special fares. But the OP had one plus it said special fare.

Last edited by Whodunit68; Oct 11, 2019 at 12:49 am
Old Oct 9, 2019, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
I actually responded with the same then found that Expedia dies, in fact, use an asterisk on some special fares. But the OP had one plus it said special Farr.
Very interesting, guess I've learned something new.

Regards
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Very interesting, guess I've learned something new.

Regards
I actually originally misspoke. My expedia booking dod not have an asterisk, only stated special fare
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
Just send them proof and you should be good.
I had 2 aadvantage reps come back and tell me that my booking posted correctly. It posted based on fare, not by distance. After I explained to one rep that the ticket was exchanged because I used SWU she said she would send it over to the “Fare Review Team” because she could not see that it was a bundled special fare. Does this sound like the right process to ensure it get adjusted? Here’s a screenshot of my expedia receipt.

Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21
I actually originally misspoke. My expedia booking dod not have an asterisk, only stated special fare
Thanks for coming back and clarifying.

Regards
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:02 am

I had 2 aadvantage reps come back and tell me that my booking posted correctly. It posted based on fare, not by distance. After I explained to one rep that the ticket was exchanged because I used SWU she said she would send it over to the “Fare Review Team” because she could not see that it was a bundled special fare. Does this sound like the right process to ensure it get adjusted? Here’s a screenshot of my expedia receipt.

sorry, I've not been on much at all. did you ever get this sorted out? I don't know Expedia's definition of special fare, unfortunately. It may differ from AA's definition. I would contact Expedia and ask them for clarification. If it's a bulk fare, I would send their response to ACS.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:31 am

yes, after 3 weeks i got an email from the aadvantage desk stating that they were able to confirm that I bought a special fare prior to applying my systemwide upgrade and they credited my account according to the special fares chart,
donotblink likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
yes, after 3 weeks i got an email from the aadvantage desk stating that they were able to confirm that I bought a special fare prior to applying my systemwide upgrade and they credited my account according to the special fares chart,
Good on you mate for keeping up with this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 2:32 pm

IT is a known issue that when you upgrade w- especially PE to J - with SWU that it breaks the system, lots of posts about it on facebook forums. Just takes a call into AAdvantage desk to sort it out, they will look at original booking code an redo the numbers.

However, a special fare does NOT mean you get special fare rules; those are two different things. You need to call AAdvantage desk to have them look at teh fare to insure you are getting special fare rules. With AAVacations, when you are booking online it will show an * after the fare code if it is subject to special fare rules, fro example P* or i*. If it does not have an asterisk then it is a regular fare.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:04 pm

EQD a lot lower than fare thru Citi TYP

So I traveled recently from SJU to DFW, I used my Citi Thankyou points to purchase the ticket (about $395 one way). Today I checked my AA account, the EQD is only 109, so I only got 542 for award miles while the EQM is 2165. Is this right? Did I miss anything? I thought the EQD should be $395. Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kwok007
So I traveled recently from SJU to DFW, I used my Citi Thankyou points to purchase the ticket (about $395 one way). Today I checked my AA account, the EQD is only 109, so I only got 542 for award miles while the EQM is 2165. Is this right? Did I miss anything? I thought the EQD should be $395. Thanks!
Eqd is calculated from the base fare (the price you pay minus taxes). It is very possible that 109 was your base fare- your original itinerary may show the breakdown.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kwok007
Sounds about right for a Q, O, or B special fare, which are calculated as 5% of the distance flown.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/earn/special-fares.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.