Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra Seats and Service
The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner entered service October 6, 2016.
The aircraft accommodates 207 Main Cabin seats plus 27 Main Cabin Extra seats (for a total of 234 Economy seats)

Related threads:
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016
Boeing 787-9 / 789 Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat & Service (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by jediwho
Is there much of a difference between MCE and regular coach seats on 787-900. We are flying LAX-SYD and right now have 14J and H (aisle across from each other) but the entire middle row 25 is empty and I am debating on taking that and hopping the middle seat does not get taken.
I'm not sure the loads in Y on the SYD flight, but I would stay in 14JH. That's risky to bet on the flight going out with empty seats for you to stretch out across.

You have 4" more recline, which is a pretty good amount vs. what you get in regular Y.

Seat width is the same.

Also, I value being towards the front of the plane so I can exit more quickly upon landing. Moving back to row 25 puts 85 more people in front of you at customs...

YMMV, of course. ^
jediwho and kaffir76 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
4-Nov 2017
AA 280 ICN -->DFW
Aircraft 789 | Seat 9A

Quick bullet points for my first trip in PE on 789:
- Agree with most reviews that KE lounge is nothing special...a couple beers on tap and 2-3 hot food selections. CX lounge is closed during late afternoon.
- PE amenity kit same as J cabin; Blanket and pillow were of high quality; slippers provided. Seat recline, foot rest, IFE worked fine. (tip: Bring your own headsets just in case inventory is short, as it was on this flight!)
- Hot towel and first meal service were out quickly and Korean bibimbap was very good, esp with the hot sauce paste
- I slept more (and well!) in PE seat than in outbound J...granted, I am a good sleeper anyway, but would choose 9A again if in PE cabin. Not impacted by lav noise or lines. Can step over seatmate without waking. Good window views over engine.
- Able to use J cabin lav (back)
- All cabins 100% full and no one cleared from same-day upgrade list (I purchased W fare and applied SWU). I was #2
- Lots of Korean Air boarding passes...assume the KE code share has kicked in? or lots of connections to the AA flight...saw lots of passports from Taiwan, China, Malaysia during boarding.
- Flight attendants were not Going for Great (6/10)

Last edited by US @ DEN; Nov 6, 2017 at 3:01 pm
Old Nov 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

What do you guys think the center aisle seat in row 23. It’s immediately before the bathroom. I asked the check in guy if there’s a seat with the middle seat open and he said the whole row 23 is open, so I asked him to put me there. Didn’t realize till later that it’s infront of the bathroom.

If if I want to change my seat, should I just ask the gate agent?

thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have an option to travel 789 LAX-SYD on an award soon and can select front row main cabin and a few other scattered aisle seats.

I did travel recently on a 787 ORD-DFW and found the legroom fine, but the width a little tight.

How much different would it be for the 789?

My other option is a Qantas A380; but the YQ adds over $200 to the redemption cost.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
I notice on AA fligh 72 787 SYD/LAX exit row seats 24A and 24L are blocked making it look like a 2 seat row similiar to the airbus. The seat maps and agents say it is real seat but blocked. Can anybody shed light on why these might be blocked and if it will open (i'd rather it not traveling with 2).
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm looking to fly from PVG-LAX in PE around August 20-22, but it's showing abt $500 more expensive than a business class ticket right now despite the website showing either not having any seats sold or only one or two seats sold. Can I expect the price to go down further? Currently, they're only showing refundable fares rn for both economy and PE. Based on the posts here, economy, even MCE, is quite bad for such a long flight.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage, Marriott Gold
Can anyone provide insight regarding MCE on the 789. Does the bulkhead, row 12(AB), provide enough room to fully stretch out your legs or would we be better off with rows 13/14(AB). I know we wouldn't have anyone reclining into us in row 12, but on SYD-LAX I'd rather be able to have my legs fully out if possible.

It also looks like row 12(AB) the arm rests don't move and with the tray table in the arm rest were probably looking at an even narrower seat? Seat guru doesnt really have much info on these seats yet.

Thanks much in advance!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by AA 777
Can anyone provide insight regarding MCE on the 789. Does the bulkhead, row 12(AB), provide enough room to fully stretch out your legs or would we be better off with rows 13/14(AB). I know we wouldn't have anyone reclining into us in row 12, but on SYD-LAX I'd rather be able to have my legs fully out if possible.

It also looks like row 12(AB) the arm rests don't move and with the tray table in the arm rest were probably looking at an even narrower seat? Seat guru doesnt really have much info on these seats yet.

Thanks much in advance!
The pics here will help you out some: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/tour-...-9-dreamliner/

Bulkhead seating is very subjective to the desires of the traveler. You will have a it of reduced hip room in the bulkhead, yes. And when it comes to true leg room, always remember that your feet can usually extend further under the seat in front of you vs. hitting where the bulkhead connects to the floor in those rows.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm 6' and i absolutely loved row 9. I wish i had realized earlier that the foot rest part of the leg rest extended down. I only noticed that about half way through the flight. I wanted to get a recline shot but the cabin filled up way too quick.

Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:01 am

Nice shoes.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I just did my return PEK-LAX and had row 11. It had full recline but the bike peddle foot rest didn't come down. Not that it mattered since its useless. Also cant escape from window when seat in front is reclined. I've never been a bulkhead fan but on 789 its go bulkhead or go home. Only downfall is row 9 has lavatory in front but it wasn't super high traffic since it was only used by J & premium Y.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
Anybody got a shot of the row 9 IFE? Or just some opinions about it? I don't mind the lav proximity, and would prefer the fancier footrest, but usually I find those screen-on-arm setups annoying. I'm on a DFW-LAX rt several months from now and the PE cabin is a)booking as MCE and b)wide open so I'm trying to decide between 9H and 10H.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by HLCinCOU
Anybody got a shot of the row 9 IFE? Or just some opinions about it? I don't mind the lav proximity, and would prefer the fancier footrest, but usually I find those screen-on-arm setups annoying. I'm on a DFW-LAX rt several months from now and the PE cabin is a)booking as MCE and b)wide open so I'm trying to decide between 9H and 10H.
I really dislike bulkhead IFE on PE seats. On a short flight, no prob. On longer ones, my neck gets tired looking down. Also your food/drinks get in the way of the screen often. Here’s a pic:

http://travelupdate.boardingarea.com...irways-Mag.jpg

​​​​​​​
Old May 30, 2018, 5:28 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Our daughter-in-law (six foot tall) and granddaughter (age 7) are flying Economy LAX-LHR return. Not until October. I've never flown Virgin economy but I've been looking at the seat map -- Would 53AB or 53JK be the best seats if they can snag them? They look like they have tons of room if the toilets in front of them aren't too much of an issue?

Is IFE an issue in those seats -- how does it work?

If those aren't the best or they can't be had, any other recommendations?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by BLG
Our daughter-in-law (six foot tall) and granddaughter (age 7) are flying Economy LAX-LHR return. Not until October. I've never flown Virgin economy but I've been looking at the seat map -- Would 53AB or 53JK be the best seats if they can snag them? They look like they have tons of room if the toilets in front of them aren't too much of an issue?

Is IFE an issue in those seats -- how does it work?

If those aren't the best or they can't be had, any other recommendations?

Thanks.
You've landed in the wrong forum. This is about the American Airlines 787-9.

Here's a thread for the Virgin Atlantic 787-9: Virgin Atlantic 787-9 Dreamliner

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.